Thanks for this Forum: Appreciating Accessible Discussions & Entertainment

• Thread starter seerongo
  • Start date
In summary, the commandments of Gregtianism are to be followed to the letter in order to be a good member of the community and to receive the blessings of the godess Evo.
seerongo
I just wanted to quickly express my appreciation for this forum and the people in it. It can be pretty intimidating to a non-professional to ask what may be thought of as a naive or simple question in a forum full of professionals and advanced students, but I have found that most folks here are very tolerant and respectful. There really is no other venue that I have found that offers this kind of accessibility to an interested layperson and offers answers that are actually accurate and meaningful. I may never be able to contribute technically, but hopefully some of my questions can contribute indirectly through dialog.

I read quite a bit and sometimes get into a book or article which is a little or a lot over my head. Usually, I can get through it by internet searches and such, but when that fails, there is always PF and for that I am grateful.

And, boy some of the discussions are really entertaining!

Ron

Physics news on Phys.org
that’s nice, it’s a really good forum, especially GD :tongue:

I think that almost all of us who aren't professional scientists or teachers feel the same way. People here go out of their way to try to adapt to the educational level of the person asking the question. Bear in mind, as well, that there's no such thing as a stupid question as long as the inquirer really wants an answer (ie: sarcastic or stubbornly crackpot questions aren't taken seriously). The professionals here are capable of communicating with a 10-year-old on a level that s/he can understand, or lay it on heavy for a PhD candidate.
There's also a built-in 'peer review' function. Not all professionals agree on all things, so some good discussions arise from the varying viewpoints.
I'm the farthest thing that you can get from a professional, and yet even I have managed to help a couple of people out over the years. I've also typed some incredibly stupid things, through either ignorance or being drunk (usually both), but they're always corrected by others who know more.
All in all, PF is a tremendous benefit to education and personal connectivity around the world. If I weren't an Atheist, I'd nominate Greg for sainthood.

seerongo said:
It can be pretty intimidating to a non-professional to ask what may be thought of as a naive or simple question in a forum full of professionals and advanced students, but I have found that most folks here are very tolerant and respectful.

I think this is mostly thanks to the awesome moderating team here ***hats get the boot really quickly and any rule breaking (especially ones that lead to misunderstanding for a person, like crackpot theories etc.) gets dealt with almost immediately. Trust me I know :)

<33 PF

I second the if I wasn't Atheist I would nominate Greg for sainthood :)

Last edited by a moderator:
See that? Lightening fast this thread was moved to another board :D

I'm an atheist and I nominate Greg for godhood!

Well, I suppose that technically this does qualify as feedback, so the move is appropriate.

edit: Just spotted your post, Neo. He would have to provide me with several perverse partners and some very fast cars before I'd consider godhood.

Last edited:
Yes, I noticed that. Probably a more appropriate place, although the GD forum is more heavily used and I wanted my post to be seen. I've noticed that the moderators are really good, often walking a tight line. It certainly does contribute to the success of the forum.

Last edited:
Being an x-Catholic, I feel obliged to convey the bad news for Greg: There is no sainthood for the living, so these calls for sainthood could be taken either way.

NeoDevin said:

hmm..has anything new happened here? We used to have 2 PF Gods !:uhh:

Lisa! said:
hmm..has anything new happened here? We used to have 2 PF Gods !:uhh:

The godess Evo stands alone and unchallenged.
And Ivan, I meant the sainthood thing as something to be done after his inevitable demise within the next few hundred years. We're all going sometime.

Greg for sainthood? Godhood?

What has HE done lately?!

:) :)

Zz.

NeoDevin said:

I have talked to the holly one, he asked me to bring this message to you, in the hopes that you can open your eyes and come closer to him.

The commandments;

Thou shalt not post crackpot theories.
Thou shalt not double post.
Thou shalt respect fellow Gregtians.
Thou shalt help all those who are in need.
Thou shalt to to church (PF) 5 times a day if possible, otherwise just once a week at least.
Thou shalt respect the moderators decision.
Thou shalt help moderators by flagging posts.
Thou shalt not give into the temptations offered by ZapperZ, for he is to trick you out of a place in PF.
Thou shalt not talk about the validity of any other religions in church (PF) other than Gregtianism.
Thou shalt not try to construct the set of all sets that do not contain themselves.

I nominate god for Greghood.

Focus said:
I have talked to the holly one,

Unless you had a talk with Santa, I think you meant the "holy" one. :biggrin:

ZapperZ said:
Godhood?

The result would be innumerable threads in Philosophy debating his existence.

...and, "Can Greg make a taco so hot that even he can't eat it?"; that sort of thing.

Focus said:
The commandments;

Thou shalt not post crackpot theories.
Thou shalt not double post.
Thou shalt respect fellow Gregtians.
Thou shalt help all those who are in need.
Thou shalt to to church (PF) 5 times a day if possible, otherwise just once a week at least.
Thou shalt respect the moderators decision.
Thou shalt help moderators by flagging posts.
Thou shalt not give into the temptations offered by ZapperZ, for he is to trick you out of a place in PF.
Thou shalt not talk about the validity of any other religions in church (PF) other than Gregtianism.
Thou shalt not try to construct the set of all sets that do not contain themselves.
Beautiful! I have broken only one of those commandments, but it was through omission. I have never resisted Zapper, simply for the reason that he has never attempted to subvert me. (Well, I quit reading the Disney thread about 5 years ago, if that counts...)

Danger said:
Beautiful! I have broken only one of those commandments, but it was through omission. I have never resisted Zapper, simply for the reason that he has never attempted to subvert me. (Well, I quit reading the Disney thread about 5 years ago, if that counts...)

You will be forgiven as long as your heart is black and your mind is scientific. The Zapper works in mysterious ways, be wary of his trickery.

Anybody else notice the PhysOrg.com links in this thread tonight?
science news on PhysOrg.com

>> Long standing PF member describes how he got his Dangerous account name
>> Renouned Physicist arrested at Walt Disney World
>> Greg Bernhardt honored by Intelligent Design Society for creation of PhysicsForums.com website

:bugeye:

berkeman said:
Anybody else notice the PhysOrg.com links in this thread tonight?

:bugeye:

I somehow seem to have missed that... :confused:
Can you provide links that actually work? :biggrin:

Nope. :biggrin:

But you could post your response here, and I could link it to my post...

Would be interesting to see the Disney arrest post too... :rofl:

berkeman said:

Were I allowed across the border, I'm sure that I could be arrested at Disney World with minimal effort. Trying to pass myself off as a physicist, though, would be a daunting venture into subterfuge.

berkeman said:
Nope. :biggrin:

But you could post your response here, and I could link it to my post...

{mumbles}Serves the kid right for cutting in front of me when I'm about to get a picture with Pooh{/mumbles}

Zz.

Ivan Seeking said:
Being an x-Catholic, I feel obliged to convey the bad news for Greg: There is no sainthood for the living, so these calls for sainthood could be taken either way.

If you're saying that Greg needs to be... made to qualify for sainthood... just wink twice.

Pengwuino said:
If you're saying that Greg needs to be... made to qualify for sainthood... just wink twice.

Naw, let him go for a while. We still need some server upgrades... :biggrin:

1. What is the purpose of this forum?

The purpose of this forum is to provide a platform for accessible discussions and entertainment. It is meant to be a space for individuals to engage in meaningful conversations and share their thoughts and ideas in a respectful and inclusive manner.

2. Who can participate in this forum?

This forum is open to anyone who is interested in respectful discussions and entertainment. We welcome individuals from all backgrounds, ages, and walks of life to join us in this forum.

3. How do I join this forum?

To join this forum, simply create an account and log in. You can then start participating in discussions and sharing your thoughts and ideas with the community.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines for participating in this forum?

Yes, we have a set of community guidelines that we expect all participants to follow. These guidelines include being respectful to others, avoiding hate speech and discrimination, and refraining from spam or self-promotion. Please read the guidelines carefully before participating in the forum.

5. Is this forum monitored by moderators?

Yes, we have a team of moderators who monitor the forum to ensure that all discussions are respectful and in line with our community guidelines. However, we also rely on our community members to report any inappropriate behavior or content. Together, we can maintain a safe and welcoming environment for everyone in this forum.