Preparing an American Thanksgiving Meal in England

• Thread starter cristo
  • Start date
In summary: Daphne in Fasier, it's important to put the potatoes through the blender, that way every mouthfull is exactly the same - it's the American way. Sounds delicious!
cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I've got a slight dilemma: my girlfriend's coming to stay with me during her thanksgiving break, since she's got time off school. She mentioned, in passing, how she'd really miss a thanksgiving meal this year so, without thinking this one through properly, I said that I'd give her an American thanksgiving in England. Now, obviously I have no idea what thanksgiving entails, so I'm turning to the friendliest group of americans I "know" (is that enough compliments?)

First things first: it is next Thursday, right? I gathered that we need to have a turkey. This shouldn't be too much of a problem, since I'm used to cooking turkey for my family xmas dinner. I suppose there may not even be turkeys in the supermarkets over here at this time of year though. Well, I'll have to go and check that out tomorrow! I've also heard that one should have some sort of potatoes, and some vegetables, but am not sure what, really! Are there any specific types of vegetables that are traditional, and are the potatoes supposed to be cooked in a special way (i.e. roasted/mashed/baked..)?

Dessert may be a bit of a problem. Someone told me that pumpkin pie is a big deal at thanksgiving. Is this correct? That's going to be rather hard to make!

Finally, are there any traditional decorations I should be looking at either making or trying to find? I could always do the easy thing and go and put the xmas decorations up early if worst comes to worst! I've also heard that we should watch "football" after dinner-- I'm sure I can dig out a video of an old favourite soccer match :wink:

Any help anyone can give me will be much appreciated!

(If this goes to plan I may even have a pic for (what I guess will be) next weeks photon contest :biggrin:)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
According to the advice given to Daphne in Fasier - it's important to put the potatoes through the blender, that way every mouthfull is exactly the same - it's the American way.

Sorry can't really help - fellow Brit who lived in America.
I haven't had pumpkin pie - but Cranberry jelly seems to be a big part of it.

First you need to know about the welcoming traditions, since the original celebration involved native Americans, we recognize this by giving "Indian burns" to our guests. You'll want to do this to your gf as soon as she arrives.

And the pumpkin pie is generally not eaten - you just need to swipe a bit from the dish with your right hand and rub some on the top of your guests' heads while saying "Aten Umau To" ( meaning "I share with you"). Your gf will explain the roots of this tradition afterward. This is a very sentimental gesture with Americans, so do not be surprised if she becomes emotional.

Last edited:
We've been discussing Thanksgiving in this thread. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=197259

Mashed potatoes, giblet gravy, peas with pearl onions, biscuits, there's a fight over green bean casserole. Cranberry sauce. She either loves the canned jellied kind or whole berry. I'm a canned jellied afficianado.

Some people serve candied yams (they're actually sweet potatoes), if you have sweet potatoes, that can make a decent substitute if you can't find canned pumpkin, make a sweet potato pie.

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
First you need to know about the welcoming traditions, since the original celebration involved native Americans, we recognize this by giving "Indian burns" to our guests. You'll want to do this to your gf as soon as she arrives.

And the pumpkin pie is generally not eaten - you just need to swipe a bit from the dish with your right hand and rub some on the top of your guests heads while saying "Aten Umau To" ( meaning i share with you). Your gf will explain the roots of this tradition afterward. This is a very sentimental gesture with Americans, so do notbe surpised if she becomes emotional.
:rofl: I was just going to go over those traditions, good job MIH!

mgb_phys said:
According to the advice given to Daphne in Fasier - it's important to put the potatoes through the blender, that way every mouthfull is exactly the same - it's the American way.

Sorry can't really help - fellow Brit who lived in America.

I almost forgot about Cranberry sauce! This is for your neighbors' mailboxes. You want to entirely fill the mailboxes in your neighborhood with the sauce. The red ensures good fortune.

mgb_phys said:
Sounds delicious!

Now I know we have cranberry sauce (that is very jelly-like) here, since we have it at xmas dinner, so that's one for the list!

Math Is Hard said:

And the pumpkin pie is generally not eaten - you just need to swipe a bit from the dish with your right hand and rub some on the top of your guests' heads while saying "Aten Umau To" ( meaning "I share with you"). Your gf will explain the roots of this tradition afterward. This is a very sentimental gesture with Americans, so do notbe surpised if she becomes emotional.

:rofl::rofl: That's too funny; although I know she'd kick my ass! There's some mutual (English) friends coming too, though, so I might try out the "traditions" on them!

All right! Yes, Thursday. Yes turkey or maybe ham. For sure mashed potatos. Sweetened yams/sweet potatos work well; good substitute for pumpkin pie Canberry sause; a little tartness. Forget the decorations. Oh ya, you need hot bread/rolls. After dinner soccer; with maybe a beer.

I'm getting hungry already.

Evo said:
:rofl: I was just going to go over those traditions, good job MIH!

Hey, I'm here to help! :approve:

Damn you people are fast posters.

Decorations are a horn of plenty, fall leaves (remove any bugs). You could make some simple pilgrim cut outs from construction paper. If a guy did that for me, :!)

Evo said:
We've been discussing Thanksgiving in this thread. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=197259
:blushing: Oops, sorry, I missed that thread! I'll have a read through.

Mashed potatoes, giblet gravy, peas with pearl onions, biscuits, there's a fight over green bean casserole. Cranberry sauce. She either loves the canned jellied kind or whole berry. I'm a canned jellied afficianado.

Some people serve candied yams (they're actually sweet potatoes), if you have sweet potatoes, that can make a decent substitute if you can't find canned pumpkin, make a sweet potato pie.

That's all gone on the shopping list! Thanks for the advice on the pie, too!

dlgoff said:
All right! Yes, Thursday. Yes turkey or maybe ham. For sure mashed potatos. Sweetened yams/sweet potatos work well; good substitute for pumpkin pie Canberry sause; a little tartness. Forget the decorations. Oh ya, you need hot bread/rolls. After dinner soccer; with maybe a beer.

I'm getting hungry already.

Looks like yams/sweet potatoes are the common substitute! Mmm, I love bread rolls, so they're definitely going to be there!

Thanks guys!

It might be a little more difficult in England stuffing cranberry sauce through the neighbours letter box. Its a little less inconspicuous.

Evo said:
Decorations are a horn of plenty, fall leaves (remove any bugs). You could make some simple pilgrim cut outs from construction paper. If a guy did that for me, :!)

What's a horn of plenty? Leaves sound do-able, and I can definitely make some cut out pilgrims!

It's a wicker horn filled with fall vegetables and fruits.

http://www.propsunlimited.com/pics/Miscellaneous%20Cornocopia.jpg [Broken]

Might not be common there. Just make some pilgrims.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of you forgot one important Thanksgiving tradition - the belching, loosening-your-belt-as-you-try-to-sit-down ritual, and dozing off in front of the TV after the meal!

Shame on you!

:)

Zz.

And... remembering from childhood to just last year, most important, wear something very scratchy, stiff, and greatly uncomfortable but festive with a tight waist band so you can hardly wait to git out of it after dinner. Plan to expand.

Shoshana said:
And... remembering from childhood to just last year, most important, wear something very scratchy, stiff, and greatly uncomfortable but festive with a tight waist band so you can hardly wait to git out of it after dinner.

https://df07.dot5hosting.com/~showtime/cart/catalog/images/pilgrim-costume2.jpg

This fits the bill nicely.

Math Is Hard said:

And the pumpkin pie is generally not eaten - you just need to swipe a bit from the dish with your right hand and rub some on the top of your guests' heads while saying "Aten Umau To" ( meaning "I share with you"). Your gf will explain the roots of this tradition afterward. This is a very sentimental gesture with Americans, so do not be surprised if she becomes emotional.
Also do not be surprised if you are assaulted.

Evo said:

There is NO fight over the green bean casserole! This is a nasty dish that is foisted upon the the non-cooking folks by cruel people who should know better. GB casserole is not food - it is a fiction made up from fake onion rings, fake green beans and fake mushroom soup.. The only thing related to culinary arts is the bit of salt and black pepper that might be waved over this travesty in an effort to pretend we are dealing with actual food here.

Math Is Hard said:
https://df07.dot5hosting.com/~showtime/cart/catalog/images/pilgrim-costume2.jpg

This fits the bill nicely.

Yeah yeah!
The scratchy tights, the stiff patented leather shoes (WARNING! Don't run in Grandma's house.) Those new shoes are very slippery. The belt needs be a little tight after all we are dainty turkey's. And be sure you get seated between two really scary 200 year old society ladies as you study the sixteen pieces of flatware just knowing your going to pick up the wrong piece first.

Okay, mostly, you should have turkey (if it's just for two, maybe you can find just a turkey breast to roast instead of cooking up a whole turkey) and some sort of bread stuffing (the recipe for this varies greatly from family to family, so perhaps whatever you make for Christmas stuffing will work too). Usually potatoes are mashed and served with gravy. Vegetables vary from family to family, so whatever the both of you like will work out fine.

Most people have cranberry sauce too. If you can get fresh or frozen cranberries, you can make a quick sauce by boiling them in a cup of boiling water with a cup of sugar added (cranberries need a lot of sugar added). Otherwise, considering how thoughtful you're being and that ingredients might be difficult to find, I'm sure she'll be okay if you can find cranberry sauce in a can (or even cranberry jelly). There are a lot of other recipes for cranberry sauces with all sorts of things added.

As for pumpkin pie, that is of course the typical Thanksgiving pie, but some alternatives if you can't get pumpkin or all the ingredients for it would be either apple pie or pecan pie.

Of course, she might enjoy having a few of your own favorite foods added as side dishes. Once you have turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and pie, the rest of the side dishes are pretty variable.

My favorite Thanksgiving dinners have departed greatly from the traditional meals I grew up with. It's partly a harvest festival type thing, and partly to celebrate the coming together of two cultures for a successful harvest. So, I've extended that in my own celebrations to include the coming together of many more cultures that have become a part of the US population since then, and invite friends, students, visiting scientists, and anyone else who has no other place to go for the holiday to bring a side dish representing whatever cultural background they identify with while I provide the basics. So, one year, I had a dish of vegetables prepared with some sort of vinegar dressing by a French post-doc, and two visiting scientists from the Netherlands brought a dish with pears in a wine sauce, local friends brought along something made with wild rice and nuts and cranberries, other years I've had scallion pancakes (Chinese), curried dishes, Brazilian dishes, etc.

I haven't even figured out what I'm doing for the holiday this year. I'm not used to actually having the whole day off from work, and it occurred to me it's only about a week away, so I need to find out who's in town and if there's an extra place setting for me by someone having dinner here, or if there are enough "strays" with no place to go yet to assemble a dinner at my place.

Moonbear said:
Okay, mostly, you should have turkey (if it's just for two, maybe you can find just a turkey breast to roast instead of cooking up a whole turkey) and some sort of bread stuffing (the recipe for this varies greatly from family to family, so perhaps whatever you make for Christmas stuffing will work too). Usually potatoes are mashed and served with gravy. Vegetables vary from family to family, so whatever the both of you like will work out fine.
I'm afraid I'll have to do the whole turkey as I'll be cooking for eight in total (although my girlfriend's the only American, so I've only got one person with expectations!) I normally have pork, sage and onion stuffing at Christmas, but I think I'll check with her what she prefers, ditto for the cranberry sauce.

As for pumpkin pie, that is of course the typical Thanksgiving pie, but some alternatives if you can't get pumpkin or all the ingredients for it would be either apple pie or pecan pie.
I love apple pie; I think we've found a winner here!
Of course, she might enjoy having a few of your own favorite foods added as side dishes. Once you have turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and pie, the rest of the side dishes are pretty variable.

My favorite Thanksgiving dinners have departed greatly from the traditional meals I grew up with. It's partly a harvest festival type thing, and partly to celebrate the coming together of two cultures for a successful harvest.
This is also a great idea. I could pass off some of the work onto the guests! I might try adding a few of my favourite side dishes in too. For example, one thing we have a Christmas dinner, yorkshire puddings apparently do not exist in America (so she says!)

I haven't even figured out what I'm doing for the holiday this year. I'm not used to actually having the whole day off from work, and it occurred to me it's only about a week away, so I need to find out who's in town and if there's an extra place setting for me by someone having dinner here, or if there are enough "strays" with no place to go yet to assemble a dinner at my place.

I'm sure if you make an offer to host, it'll be snapped up by many!

Evo said:
It's a wicker horn filled with fall vegetables and fruits.

http://www.propsunlimited.com/pics/Miscellaneous%20Cornocopia.jpg [Broken]

Might not be common there. Just make some pilgrims.

Well, I've never heard or seen one, so I'd say it will be pretty hard to find one in a week. I'll make some pilgrims, and do something with candles, I reckon. Thanks!

cristo said:
This is also a great idea. I could pass off some of the work onto the guests! I might try adding a few of my favourite side dishes in too. For example, one thing we have a Christmas dinner, yorkshire puddings apparently do not exist in America (so she says!)

Below is a quote from that website that you had a link to
After 15 minutes remove the meat, then place the tin over direct heat while you pour the batter into the sizzling hot fat.

"sizzling hot fat"...how..tasty..just how high does their cholesterol level go after this cooking with sizzling hot fat?:eek:

What's a horn of plenty? Leaves sound do-able, and I can definitely make some cut out pilgrims!

um..I've never seen anyone actually do that unless they were in grade school...:rolleyes:
however if an adult did that it'll probably be taken as cute.

cristo said:
Now I know we have cranberry sauce (that is very jelly-like) here, since we have it at xmas dinner, so that's one for the list!

You know, now that I think about it, most cranberry sauce I have had is very jelly like. Why do we Americans call it sauce anyway?:confused:

Anyway cristo, I think the apple pie should be fine. The main essentials, as far as I am concerned, are turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and cranberry sauce(jelly). The rest of the meal can pretty much involve whatever the specific family likes to eat. You should ask your girlfriend what they normally have on thanksgiving, unless your going to surprise her.

Also, make sure there are leftovers! Cold turkey sandwiches the next day are as big a part of the celebration as anything else!

And, as Zz pointed out, the most important part is to sit around a table with friends or family and eat until you're ready to burst, then everyone sits around watching TV as they sink into a coma from the overindulgence. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
And, as Zz pointed out, the most important part is to sit around a table with friends or family and eat until you're ready to burst, then everyone sits around watching TV as they sink into a coma from the overindulgence. :biggrin:
No, no, no. You sit around a table with friends or family and eat until you're ready to burst, then everyone sits around playing cards, or dice, or board games as they sink into a coma from the overindulgence. Watching TV on Thanksgiving is very bad - antisocial at best.

I only read the OP, so sorry if this has been hammered in already. HELL YEAH PUMPKIN PIE IS IMPORTANT! Sweet potatoes are a must too!

Basically, for me there are four things that I like (need) for Thanksgiving: Pumpkin Pie, Turkey, Sweet Potatoes, and the Dallas Cowboys kicking some ass!

One of the best parts of the holiday seems to be the chit-chatting with friends and relatives around and specifically in the kitchen with all those aromatic, not-frequent smells floating through the rooms of all the different foods (and sampling) being prepared.

okay cristo. I'm wondering how it went. Can you gives us the outcome?

Yep, I'm wondering how it turned out as well.

Thanksgiving went very well, thanks for asking. I cheated in a few places: firstly, since I went shopping thanksgiving morning, I realized all the turkeys were frozen, and obviously had no time to thaw out, ooops! So, I got a little turkey joint and a joint of ham (which I have to say was delicious!) We had two types of potatoes; mashed and roasted (since I love roasted potatoes), corn, stuffing, gravy, hot bread rolls; then for dessert had a chocolate pie (which my girlfriend chose in the absence of ingredients for pumpkin pie). There were 5 of us in total, and we all had a great time: so my first thanksgiving was a success!

cristo said:
Thanksgiving went very well, thanks for asking. I cheated in a few places: firstly, since I went shopping thanksgiving morning, I realized all the turkeys were frozen, and obviously had no time to thaw out, ooops! So, I got a little turkey joint and a joint of ham (which I have to say was delicious!) We had two types of potatoes; mashed and roasted (since I love roasted potatoes), corn, stuffing, gravy, hot bread rolls; then for dessert had a chocolate pie (which my girlfriend chose in the absence of ingredients for pumpkin pie). There were 5 of us in total, and we all had a great time: so my first thanksgiving was a success!
Mmmmmm, sounds yummy! I'm sure your girlfriend appreciated how thoughtful you are. :smile:

Well, can't go wrong with chocolate as a substitute for anything. :biggrin: Sounds good! I hope your girlfriend showed her thanks appropriately. :wink: :biggrin:

What are the traditional dishes for an American Thanksgiving meal?

The traditional dishes for an American Thanksgiving meal include roasted turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, stuffing, green bean casserole, and pumpkin pie.

Can I find all the necessary ingredients for an American Thanksgiving meal in England?

While some ingredients may be harder to find in England, most major supermarkets carry all the necessary ingredients for an American Thanksgiving meal. You may need to visit specialty stores for certain items.

How do I convert American measurements to British measurements for my Thanksgiving recipes?

To convert American measurements to British measurements, you can use online conversion tools or refer to a conversion chart. For example, 1 cup is equivalent to 236.59 milliliters in British measurements.

Are there any cultural differences I should be aware of when preparing an American Thanksgiving meal in England?

Yes, there may be some cultural differences to consider. For example, British turkeys tend to be smaller than American turkeys, so you may need to adjust cooking times accordingly. Additionally, some British households may not be familiar with certain American dishes, so be prepared to explain the origins and traditions of your Thanksgiving meal.

Are there any food safety precautions I should take when preparing an American Thanksgiving meal in England?

Yes, it is important to follow food safety guidelines when preparing any meal. Make sure to properly thaw and cook your turkey, and keep all perishable foods refrigerated until ready to serve. It is also a good idea to have a meat thermometer on hand to ensure the turkey is cooked to a safe internal temperature.