Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thanksgiving dinner ?

1. Nov 13, 2007 #1

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I've got a slight dilemma: my girlfriend's coming to stay with me during her thanksgiving break, since she's got time off school. She mentioned, in passing, how she'd really miss a thanksgiving meal this year so, without thinking this one through properly, I said that I'd give her an American thanksgiving in England. Now, obviously I have no idea what thanksgiving entails, so I'm turning to the friendliest group of americans I "know" (is that enough compliments?)

First things first: it is next Thursday, right? I gathered that we need to have a turkey. This shouldn't be too much of a problem, since I'm used to cooking turkey for my family xmas dinner. I suppose there may not even be turkeys in the supermarkets over here at this time of year though. Well, I'll have to go and check that out tomorrow! I've also heard that one should have some sort of potatoes, and some vegetables, but am not sure what, really! Are there any specific types of vegetables that are traditional, and are the potatoes supposed to be cooked in a special way (i.e. roasted/mashed/baked..)?

Dessert may be a bit of a problem. Someone told me that pumpkin pie is a big deal at thanksgiving. Is this correct? That's gonna be rather hard to make!

Finally, are there any traditional decorations I should be looking at either making or trying to find? I could always do the easy thing and go and put the xmas decorations up early if worst comes to worst! I've also heard that we should watch "football" after dinner-- I'm sure I can dig out a video of an old favourite soccer match :wink:

Any help anyone can give me will be much appreciated!

(If this goes to plan I may even have a pic for (what I guess will be) next weeks photon contest :biggrin:)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

According to the advice given to Daphne in Fasier - it's important to put the potatoes through the blender, that way every mouthfull is exactly the same - it's the American way.

Sorry can't really help - fellow Brit who lived in America.
    I haven't had pumpkin pie - but Cranberry jelly seems to be a big part of it.

4. Nov 13, 2007 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First you need to know about the welcoming traditions, since the original celebration involved native Americans, we recognize this by giving "Indian burns" to our guests. You'll want to do this to your gf as soon as she arrives.

And the pumpkin pie is generally not eaten - you just need to swipe a bit from the dish with your right hand and rub some on the top of your guests' heads while saying "Aten Umau To" ( meaning "I share with you"). Your gf will explain the roots of this tradition afterward. This is a very sentimental gesture with Americans, so do not be surprised if she becomes emotional.

5. Nov 13, 2007 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

We've been discussing Thanksgiving in this thread. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=197259

Mashed potatoes, giblet gravy, peas with pearl onions, biscuits, there's a fight over green bean casserole. Cranberry sauce. She either loves the canned jellied kind or whole berry. I'm a canned jellied afficianado.

Some people serve candied yams (they're actually sweet potatoes), if you have sweet potatoes, that can make a decent substitute if you can't find canned pumpkin, make a sweet potato pie.

6. Nov 13, 2007 #5

Evo

:rofl: I was just going to go over those traditions, good job MIH!

7. Nov 13, 2007 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I almost forgot about Cranberry sauce! This is for your neighbors' mailboxes. You want to entirely fill the mailboxes in your neighborhood with the sauce. The red ensures good fortune.

8. Nov 13, 2007 #7

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sounds delicious!

Now I know we have cranberry sauce (that is very jelly-like) here, since we have it at xmas dinner, so that's one for the list!

:rofl::rofl: That's too funny; although I know she'd kick my ass! There's some mutual (English) friends coming too, though, so I might try out the "traditions" on them!

9. Nov 13, 2007 #8

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

All right! Yes, Thursday. Yes turkey or maybe ham. For sure mashed potatos. Sweetened yams/sweet potatos work well; good substitute for pumpkin pie Canberry sause; a little tartness. Forget the decorations. Oh ya, you need hot bread/rolls. After dinner soccer; with maybe a beer.

I'm getting hungry already.

10. Nov 13, 2007 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey, I'm here to help! :approve:

11. Nov 13, 2007 #10

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Damn you people are fast posters.

12. Nov 13, 2007 #11

Evo

Decorations are a horn of plenty, fall leaves (remove any bugs). You could make some simple pilgrim cut outs from construction paper. If a guy did that for me, :!!)

13. Nov 13, 2007 #12

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

:blushing: Oops, sorry, I missed that thread! I'll have a read through.

That's all gone on the shopping list! Thanks for the advice on the pie, too!

Looks like yams/sweet potatoes are the common substitute! Mmm, I love bread rolls, so they're definitely gonna be there!

Thanks guys!

14. Nov 13, 2007 #13

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It might be a little more difficult in England stuffing cranberry sauce through the neighbours letter box. Its a little less inconspicuous.

15. Nov 13, 2007 #14

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What's a horn of plenty? Leaves sound do-able, and I can definitely make some cut out pilgrims!

16. Nov 13, 2007 #15

Evo

17. Nov 13, 2007 #16
  18. Nov 13, 2007 #17

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

All of you forgot one important Thanksgiving tradition - the belching, loosening-your-belt-as-you-try-to-sit-down ritual, and dozing off in front of the TV after the meal!

Shame on you!!

:)

Zz.

19. Nov 13, 2007 #18
    And.... remembering from childhood to just last year, most important, wear something very scratchy, stiff, and greatly uncomfortable but festive with a tight waist band so you can hardly wait to git out of it after dinner. Plan to expand.

20. Nov 13, 2007 #19

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[​IMG]

This fits the bill nicely.

21. Nov 13, 2007 #20

turbo

Gold Member

Also do not be surprised if you are assaulted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?