Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thanksgiving Mystery

1. Nov 23, 2013 #1
    Don't wait until the last minute to buy a big Butterball fresh turkey. For some unknown reason the fresh turkeys failed to gain weight.

"I don't buy the For whatever reason" bit. It has to be a lot more serious than that.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/thanksgiving-mystery-why-are-turkeys-not-getting-fat-2D11622532

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2013 #2

phion

Gold Member

Having worked in a deli kitchen, I can safely say Butterball is an average selling turkey and quite delicious. There was a recent nation wide recall due to a listeria monocytogenes concern that affected mostly peripheral product that were served, it may actually still be in affect.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  4. Nov 23, 2013 #3
    Do you have a source for that recall information?

The only thing I can find is a 2010 recall due to listeria monocytogenes that did not involve Butterball. As matter of fact it involved processed turkey parts and the listeria is contacted in the processing of the parts.

http://www.examiner.com/article/tur...-recalled-for-possible-listeria-contamination

Regardless it would have nothing to do with turkeys failing to gain weight.

5. Nov 23, 2013 #4

phion

Gold Member

6. Nov 23, 2013 #5

phion

Gold Member

Also, it may be the preferential bias of the consumer your seeing, as the product diminishes in size as a direct correlation to the buyers want of a large turkey the closer we get to Thanksgiving, that is, the fewer large turkeys there are since the distributor can't keep up with the demand. The bias "out weighs" the rate at which the shelves can be stocked.

7. Nov 23, 2013 #6

phion

Gold Member

Combined with the failing harvest rate due to the recall, along side with the instantaneous increase in demand of large, healthy turkey, the "mystery" might result in many disappointed families staring at unimpressive, albeit uncontaminated, Thanksgiving table center pieces.

8. Nov 23, 2013 #7

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe they hired some management consultant who said they were spending too much on feed, so they cut back to make more profits :biggrin:

If you wanted to start industrial scale farming of (relatively) small animals, turkeys are about the dumbest choice you could make. They are way too emotionally unstable. You would have a much easier time if you persuaded your market to eat rabbits instead.

And it's not as if farmed turkeys actually taste of anything, except stuffing and seasoning.

9. Nov 23, 2013 #8

phion

Gold Member

:rofl:

10. Nov 23, 2013 #9
    Chickens are nervous and emotionally unstable too. The answer for that was to give them Prozac to calm them down and caffeine to keep them awake and eating.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/05/opinion/kristof-arsenic-in-our-chicken.html?_r=0

11. Nov 23, 2013 #10
    Again your are referring to processed foods. From your link:

"Recalled products include several kinds of chicken salad, ham salad, barbecue beans with beef, and potato salad with bacon. They bear the establishment number EST. 13520 or P-13520 inside the USDA mark of inspection."

The second link is from 2010. That too was processed turkey.

The case for disease would be highly unlikely with the 2013 Butterball turkey weight gain problem. Most of the turkeys are grown on contract farms. Butterball does provide the feed even for contract farms, and that would mean all turkeys Butterball turkeys would have the disease.

http://farmprogress.com/story-butterball-llc-named-ncs-exporter-year-9-94884 [Broken]

The shortage should be great news for small farmers especially those who grow heritage turkeys.

http://www.brownbagonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Heritage-turkey5.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  12. Nov 23, 2013 #11

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It would have been better news if they had known about it in time to take some action. By now, what they have to sell is what they already have.

Chickens can get aggressive through overcrowding but they are nothing compared with turkeys. A shed full of turkeys can go into spontaneous "stampede and self destruct" mode for no reason at all. A shed full of half grown turkeys with assorted broken legs, wings, or even necks doesn't have much commercial value.

Actually you could argue against the concept that they are "biological creatures" - for example they have been selectively bred to the point where they can only reproduce using AI. Balancing one sphere on top of another is an unstable situation :smile:

13. Nov 23, 2013 #12

phion

Gold Member

14. Nov 23, 2013 #13

phion

Gold Member

I could see this turning into an animal rights thread if we're not careful.

15. Nov 23, 2013 #14
    Ha not by me I grew up eating rabbit both grown in a cage and shot in a field.

16. Nov 23, 2013 #15
    The only mention of turkey in the first link is "Turkey Breast Misbranding".

Your link above is again about processed foods. From the link.

Same information as links number one and two as far as turkey is concerned.

QUIT JERKING ME AROUND WE DON'T DO THAT HERE.

Read your links before you post them. They were only relevant to processed meats. Cut paste and quote from your links.

The turkeys grown as fresh turkeys to be sold for the holidays have nothing to do with recalls of processed meats. That would be the same turkeys that Butterball claims for some unknown reason did not gain weight enough for market.

I'll tell you what go out and buy a Butterball 15 pound turkey that was grown for sale as fresh and have a great meal. I am going to cook a fresh goose this year.

17. Nov 23, 2013 #16

phion

Gold Member

I literally spent the last two months cutting fresh meats and cheese at the local supermarket deli. Again, sorry for the bunk links.

18. Nov 24, 2013 #17

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the turkeys are starting to wise up to this Thanksgiving feast thing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook