Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1. Nov 25, 2003 #1

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

when will it be?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2003 #2
    On Thursday. By the way, considering that you live in Amsterdam, do you know anyone associated with Geometric Algebra?
  4. Nov 25, 2003 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thursday.. I'll have to send some ecards then..

No, never heard of Geometric Algebra, sorry :)
  5. Nov 25, 2003 #4
  6. Nov 25, 2003 #5
    Thanksgiving?? Huh?? well past gone, here in Canada......
  7. Nov 25, 2003 #6
    After 1941, US Thanksgiving Day has been officially on the fourth thursday of November.
  8. Nov 25, 2003 #7

actually Franklin Roosevelt signed that in 1939, changing it from the last thursday in the month (lincoln 1863) to the fourth thursday. Just some useless holiday trivia...i guess....and thought i'd correct you on it.

9. Nov 25, 2003 #8

Science Advisor

How do you all plan to celebrate (or, for our Canadian members, "how did you...")?
  10. Nov 25, 2003 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

i can hardly wait to dig into turkey and taters! and the good thing is i don't have to cook this year :)
  11. Nov 25, 2003 #10
    Didn't really, no turkey for me till Christmas! (or just before that)

Actually one of the soup kitchens opened on Thanksgiving, and we could get ourselves a full turkey meal for $1.00. Thats what I did, waited all day till it came, ate, and then left...back to the tent!
  12. Nov 25, 2003 #11

US Thanksgiving was originally declared by specific presidential proclamation. Lincoln proclaimed a Thanksgiving in 1863 after the battle at Gettysburg, to be observed the last thursday of November. That became the regular rule after that. Roosevelt was asked to make an exception in 1933, to help out merchants who didn't like it when Thanksgiving was on November 30 (too close to Christmas). He finally got around to doing that in 1939. But lots of people, and even whole states, stuck with the old Lincoln date that year. The issue was finally settled by congressional act in late 1941, to apply beginning in 1942.
  13. Nov 26, 2003 #12

jimmy p

Gold Member

No fair, i wanna celebrate thanksgiving!
  14. Nov 26, 2003 #13
    who's stopping you?
  15. Nov 26, 2003 #14

Science Advisor

i'll be working

c'est la vie.
  16. Nov 26, 2003 #15

Science Advisor

The two "foo's", football and food.

I'll be making a big chicken. A turkey is just too much for a family of four. Also, for some bizarre reason, my kids love chicken and hate turkey.

17. Nov 26, 2003 #16

I thought that was three "foo's"

Food and more food and football??

We used to all meet at my grandmothers house (mother's side of family" until our family got so large we could not fit any longer. Now we meet at a restaurant (all 70+ of us)and eat far too much turkey, potatoes, yeast rolls, sweet potato, corn and..you know etc. etc.. After dinner, we go to my grandmothers house, change into our grubbies and have our annual old against the young football game. (the old cheat but last year the young won anyway :wink: ) Then, it's back to gram's for deserts!
  18. Nov 26, 2003 #17

Science Advisor

I spent last Christmass at a soup kitchen. Hope to do it again, wouldn't mind working at one every year.
  19. Nov 26, 2003 #18
    i hafta work too! we have to feed all those dumb lazy people who won't make their own turkeys. Then i have to make them their dumb salads and desserts, and then clean their dirty gravy-smelling dishes..... least i have football... good ole football...
  20. Nov 26, 2003 #19
    Generally I don't celebrate holidays (other than Halloween) but I am making an exception this Thanksgiving.

Me, my girlfriend and a friend of ours (who is coming up from Florida to stay with us) are going to go buy about 10 pounds of sliced turkey breast, some cheese, bread and drinks.
    We are going to make as many sandwiches as we can, then head into NYC to give them away to whoever wants them.

Then go home and sleep because I would have only had 2 hours sleep since Wednesday afternoon by tomorrow night.
  21. Nov 26, 2003 #20
    I always hated when I was a kid and all the older cousins and my uncles would hog the TV watching football!
    Lousy waste of time if you ask me.
    How could you watch football when the classic Godzilla movie marathon was on every year!?!?!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?