Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

That exam I was worried about

1. Nov 7, 2011 #1
    npooi0.jpg

115.4% lolwtf

Thanks, people of pf, for helping me to understand the material!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Sweet! I used to love those exams. Mean 50%, score 97%. Priceless :biggrin:

Congrats QC!

4. Nov 7, 2011 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Wow!!! Nice quark!!!! Enjoy your score!!

5. Nov 7, 2011 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Very nice :approve:! Congrats!

6. Nov 7, 2011 #5
    Thanks!

I was expecting more of a "how is that even possible!", because frankly, I don't see how that's possible. I missed one point for losing a negative somewhere. Is it normal for physics courses to grade with such a huge curve? Where can I find sample Physics I exams to compare to?

7. Nov 7, 2011 #6
    I was going to say that, hows that even happening? you have 100.2% average and you answered more questions right than there were questions seemingly. On all your assignments too.

I thought they curved on a log scale or something so people with higher grades are less affected by the curve so you don't have people doing that.

8. Nov 7, 2011 #7

wukunlin

Gold Member

i was going to suggest they might have got the score and number of questions mixed up, but then I saw the rest of the class have more sensible scores

I wish i can get scores like that....

9. Nov 7, 2011 #8
    Something like that must be going on, otherwise my total score would be higher than 100.2

10. Nov 7, 2011 #9
    Congrats!

It isn't uncommon for smart people like you to run over 100 during the course :biggrin: Profs give over 100s so that in case you blow up something in future you would be covered up by bonus marks. In the end, they trim down to 100 ... But I haven't seen one getting final course average of above 100.

11. Nov 7, 2011 #10

Evo

Congrats Quark!!

12. Nov 7, 2011 #11

berkeman

Back in the olden days when I was in college, the bigger undergrad physics classes were graded on a Bell curve. Some of the profs even posted the plot of the grades, showing the classic Bell shape...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook