That horribly annoying Sears ad

• Thread starter jim hardy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a popup advertisement on the top of a website that covers up the first thread entry when the mouse is dragged down. The individuals in the conversation express frustration and annoyance with the ad, and suggest potential solutions such as purchasing a subscription or blocking the URL. They also criticize the ad for being ineffective and unprofessional, and mention that it is currently appearing on the electrical engineering page of the website. One individual mentions trying to get the properties of the ad, but is only able to find information about FlashPlayer.
jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
can somethiing be done about that awful Sears popup at top of page that covers up first thread entry when mouse is dragged down ?

Im sure Sears would not want to aggravate their customers so. Some junior programmer or marketing major needs a bit of calibration.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Buy a PF subscription and get no-ads heaven.:wink:

I can look into blocking the URL. If you come across it again try to note the URL.

i realize ads help pay your bills so i don't protest too strongly

just it's really dumb to let an ad cover up site content like that.
Take any salesman training course and the FIRST RULE is "Gain the customer's favorable attention." and that ad is as endearing as a punch in the nose.

It reeks of inexperience. I'm sure Sears marketing is more sophisticated than that.

It's there this morning on top of electrical Engineering page https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=102

i tried to get properties but all it does is say something about flashplayer.

old jim

1. Why is the Sears ad so annoying?

The Sears ad may seem annoying to some viewers because it is repetitive and loud. The same jingle and visuals are used throughout the entire commercial, which can be grating to the senses. Additionally, the ad may feel intrusive as it is often played multiple times during a single commercial break.

2. Who is responsible for creating the Sears ad?

The Sears ad was created by Sears Holdings Corporation, a retail company that operates Sears and Kmart stores. The ad was likely created by an advertising agency hired by Sears to promote their brand and products.

3. How long has the Sears ad been running?

The specific Sears ad that is currently airing may vary, but the company has been using television advertising since the 1950s. Sears has a long history of using catchy jingles and memorable commercials to promote their brand.

4. Is the Sears ad effective in increasing sales?

It is difficult to determine the direct impact of the Sears ad on sales, as there are many factors that contribute to a company's success. However, advertising is a common marketing tactic used by companies to reach potential customers and promote their products, so the ad likely plays a role in driving sales.

5. Can I skip the Sears ad?

If you are watching a live television broadcast, you cannot skip the Sears ad. However, if you are watching a recorded program or streaming content, you may be able to fast forward through the ad. Alternatively, you can change the channel or mute the volume during the ad break.