Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

That raises the question !

1. Oct 14, 2005 #1

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I got a chuckle out of this:

which was posted on the BBC Asia-Pacific web site (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4340102.stm).

Of course, it raises the question: How high would the ORBIT have to be so the craft would NOT be affected by Earth's gravitational pull?

I thought this would be a good place to post any similar non sequiturs you may come across in scientific/technical reporting.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2005 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

How long can they stay in orbit if they presumibly are having to use boosters to keep from falling back in?

4. Oct 14, 2005 #3

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know but the article also states that "the spacecraft will have to be restored to its original trajectory." Umm ... wasn't it the original trajectory that got it into this predicament in the first place?

5. Oct 14, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Maybe they didn't reach their correct trajectory in teh first place.

6. Oct 14, 2005 #5

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then it would be impossible to restore it to the correct trajectory since that had not previously been achieved. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?