That was a close one

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You can put it where you sleep away from the fireplace so it will wake you up when there is a greater amount of smoke. Better safe than sorry.

Honestly, I've slept through fire alarms (when I lived in dorms, we had a fire drill in the middle of the night and I didn't even know it happened until people asked me the next morning where I was the previous night). And, if the sirens on fire trucks don't wake you, I'm not sure a smoke detector will either.

I have smoke detectors, and I know they work because the one in the hallway goes off every time I fry something in the kitchen, even when I can't even see any smoke and nothing is burning yet. :grumpy: Still, I'm not so confident they would wake me up if I was sound asleep. I've slept through alarm clocks too (and if I hear the alarm, my reaction would probably be to try to hit the snooze button). Every little noise drives me nuts when I'm trying to fall asleep, but once I'm really asleep, a bomb could detonate in my bedroom and I'd sleep through it. On Christmas Eve, I fell asleep on the couch watching a movie and Santa put out the presents and assembled a basketball hoop only about 6 ft from me and I never woke up...I was told that even my nephew stirred in bed at the other end of the house with the noise of that process, but I never heard a thing! :bugeye:

ideasrule
Homework Helper
Thank goodness there's no place the fire could have passed from their house to yours!

Borek
Mentor
I suppose they have insurance that will check it out and make sure it gets properly fixed?

Insurance guy just left, I have seen his car through the window. No idea what will happen next.

And the chimney/stovepipe may not the the only problem, though it looks sub-standard by our codes.

After a fire everything looks sub-standard. This is a standard Schiedel chimney, system like the one on the picture here:

http://www.gaja-msm.pl/systemy_kominowe_schiedel.htm [Broken]

covered with the fake, inflammable brick siding. From what I understand Schiedel system is sold in US as well (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monier_Group).

Our houses are sub-standard for other reasons (mainly quality), this chimney is not one of them as it was not part of the original desing and it was not botched up by the original developer.

There is also a problem that can be produced when someone tries to combine several sources in one flue.

Good point, but a moot in this case - only one wood fireplace using that flue.

Thank goodness there's no place the fire could have passed from their house to yours!

No, our garages are connected. The wall between was designed to be fireproof (which probably means it should resist the fire for some period of time, but not for ever).

Last edited by a moderator:
Borek
Mentor
Quick update: George is back home, as I guessed he was kept in hospital just in case. He has plasters on several fingers and some ointment prescribed, that's all.