Is Infrared Background Radiation the Future of Food Warming?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Microwave
In summary, the author hates microwaves because they never heat up evenly and they toss some instructions on the package going "Microwave for 3 minutes". The author also thinks that the best way to cook food is the primitive way using fire. Finally, the author urges breaking dorm law by cooking food in microwaves.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Ok, since i can barely enjoy the godly food the local deli has prepared to me... I am going to rant. I hate microwaves with really massive foods like this slab of lasagna. The food never heats up evenly. They toss some instructions on the package going "Microwave for 3 minutes". My ass... I put it in 4 minutes and hte middle is still kinda cool.

Booo microwaves!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right. Microwave ovens are a horrible invention! Maybe it's time for a new microwave oven? :rolleyes:

I shall make a plasma based microwave oven. Now you can have your taco at 10,000,000,000 degrees.

You'll also have to invent better oven mitts.

Pengwuino said:
I shall make a plasma based microwave oven. Now you can have your taco at 10,000,000,000 degrees.

Nah, just reinvent fire, food tastes so much better cooked the primitive way.

I think there are special thingimabobers you can get that make it heat more evenly aren't there?

is thingimabobbers their technical name? at least you have a microwave, we aren't allowed to have them in our dorms, so you just have let your frozen burrito heat up on the window sill...

wolram said:
Nah, just reinvent fire, food tastes so much better cooked the primitive way.
That's good Idea I think I should put a patent on it since my great great great great great great great great great Grandfather's uncle stepfather
counsin invted fire:rofl: he also inveted the wheel but then some guy in Iraq stole it.:mad: :mad:
They should make food that can heat itself up.

scott1 said:
They should make food that can heat itself up.
Shhhh! that's what T Rex said and he got mammals. look where that left him

Gale said:
is thingimabobbers their technical name? at least you have a microwave, we aren't allowed to have them in our dorms, so you just have let your frozen burrito heat up on the window sill...
"No, honest, it's a coffee table under that table cloth... The cord? What cord? Oh, just some crazy idea one of my artsy friends had to make it look like the table plugs in. It's supposed to be a statement on how much energy we waste. That's all. No, of course it's not a microwave, those aren't allowed in the dorm rooms." :uhh:

Gale said:
we aren't allowed to have them in our dorms
As well you shouldn't. Those things should be kept away from youngsters; they can frizzle your heir.

Danger said:
You'll also have to invent better oven mitts.

I sprayed coke out of my nose instead of into it because of that.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'll go back to my corner now.

:eek: I hope you didn't break your straw!

Now then, that's enough. first moonbear's urging the breaking of dorm law now you two are okaying drugs. what's next? hey pengwino want to earn a few extra dollars? How are you at pleasing a man?

Last edited:
tribdog said:
Now then, that's enough. first moonbear's urging the breaking of dorm law now you two are okaying drugs. what's next? he pengwino want to earn a few extra dollars? How are you at pleasing a man?
I've heard quite good actually :biggrin:

Pengwuino said:
Booo microwaves!

But where are we to get our cosmological parameters?! :bugeye:

SpaceTiger said:
But where are we to get our cosmological parameters?! :bugeye:

From something that's better at warming my food! The infrared background radiation!

1. What are the potential health risks of using a microwave?

There have been concerns about the potential health risks associated with using a microwave, such as radiation exposure and the effects on food nutrients. However, the FDA has deemed microwave ovens safe for use as long as they are properly maintained and used according to the manufacturer's instructions.

2. How does food cooked in a microwave differ from food cooked in other ways?

Microwaves use a different method of heating compared to conventional ovens or stovetops. Microwaves heat food by causing the water molecules to vibrate, creating heat. This can result in food being heated more quickly, but can also lead to uneven heating and potentially alter the texture of the food.

3. Can microwaves cause fires?

Like any electrical appliance, there is a potential risk of fire if a microwave is not used properly. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and never use metal or other unsuitable materials in a microwave. Regular cleaning and maintenance can also help prevent potential fire hazards.

4. Are there any alternative methods of cooking without a microwave?

Yes, there are many alternative methods of cooking without a microwave, such as using a stovetop, oven, slow cooker, or air fryer. These methods may take longer, but can often result in more even heating and better texture for certain foods.

5. Is it necessary to completely stop using a microwave?

No, it is not necessary to completely stop using a microwave. While there are some potential concerns, as long as a microwave is used properly and in moderation, it can still be a convenient and safe way to cook or reheat food. However, if you have concerns or prefer alternative methods of cooking, it is ultimately a personal choice whether or not to continue using a microwave.