Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thawing of meat

1. Apr 21, 2007 #1
    The fact is, that if you get frozen meat and you have to de-freeze it, you will de-freeze it faster, if you pack it into the fur, than if you get it under flowinf water with temperature 10°C = 52F.. WHY?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2007 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Fur? Huh? I only eat de-furred meat. :confused:

4. Apr 21, 2007 #3

Danger

Gold Member

That's fine as long as you don't get a stubble burn.

5. Apr 22, 2007 #4
    Do you understand my question?

6. Apr 22, 2007 #5
    If it is a classical oven, it does not make much difference from water, but it depends on the temperature of the four and of the water. But to de-freeze the interior of the meat heat must pass form the exterior to the interior and it depends on the thermal conductivity of the frozen and not frozen meat. If you try to go faster you will cook the outside before the inside is de-frozen. You could call it "reverse meat profiteroles".
    Microwave oven do better because they heat the inside of the frozen meat. But, as they heat better water than ice, you always risk the "reverse meat profiteroles".

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  7. Apr 22, 2007 #6
    Hmm. You have some frozen meat in a fridge, you take it out and want to de-freeze it, so you pack it to the really fur (for example from the bear).
    I just thought, if the melting point of the meat isnt a bit higher than MP of water, maybe higher than 10°C (52F). Than you cant never de-freeze meat with so cold water, and problem is solved.

8. Apr 22, 2007 #7

russ_watters

Clearly, no. Your english isn't very good. Are you saying literally that you wrap the meat in an animal's fur? I've never heard of such a thing, but the meat would certainly not thaw faster that way than if it is run under cold water.

Meat is mostly water, but it has things dissolved in it (such as salt), which lowers the melting point. Running it under cold water provides a relatively fast transfer of energy and thawing time could be cut to perhaps a tenth of what it is if you just leave the meat sitting out.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  9. Apr 22, 2007 #8

russ_watters

Could you explain to me what this "four" is?

10. Apr 22, 2007 #9
    Yes, you have classic meat from the shop and you pack it into the animal skin... Maybe i should make some experiment...

11. Apr 22, 2007 #10
    Sorry, OVEN

12. Apr 22, 2007 #11

russ_watters

Ok, I've never heard of that...

Perhaps you should experiment, though, because it most certainly will not thaw faster insulated than uninsulated, much less with water running over it to pull heat away even faster! I don't see why you would think it would thaw faster when insulated. What is your reasoning?

13. Apr 23, 2007 #12
    I red somewhere, that this is true. Maybe its faster in the fur, if the meat is very small, so mabye it is just a gimmick

14. Apr 23, 2007 #13

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Maybe someone thought that if a fur keeps us warm, it will also keep frozen meat warm! Soooooo obviously wrong!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?