1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The 1/e Factor

1. Aug 6, 2010 #1
    The quantity 1/e is one that I've seen quite a bit in physics. Especially when describing 'lifetimes' of various things (ie radiative lifetimes). I'm curious about why this value is used. I've heard explanations about how it's a probabilistic thing or that it's just a sort of 'standard candle' for measuring these quantities.

To put my question in another form: The value of 1/e is close to that of 1/3. So why don't we just use 1/3 instead. What is it that makes 1/e more useful or preferred.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2010 #2
    Nothing special about e, as using another basis simply corresponds to a change of scale of the exponent:

[tex]e^x=b^y\qquad\Leftrightarrow\qquad y=x\log_be[/tex]

I think the practical reason we use e is that

instead of

[tex]\frac{db^x}{dx}=e^x\log b[/tex]
  4. Aug 7, 2010 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

Petr is right - sometimes we use different exponents (decibals, half-lives) but usually the math just works out so much easier with e that people use that one.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook