Is This Cornflake Really Worth £100,000 on eBay?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, experts have estimated that the cornflake-shaped state of Gran Canaria is worth at least $0.10, but the value of the item may be worth a lot more to specific Gran Canaria map collectors.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Bidding for a cornflake resembling the US state of Illinois has reached more than £100,000 on eBay.[continued]
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2774081.html [Broken]

The topography doesn't look right to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's nothing - I sold my "Battles of the Civil War" collection for half a mil.

And not a lot of people know this but the word gullible is not in the dictionary.

Art said:
And not a lot of people know this but the word gullible is not in the dictionary.

It's not?

The Illinois corn flake sort of looks correct. I'm way more impressed by the one next to it. Is it just me or does it look just like a dime?

tribdog said:
I'm way more impressed by the one next to it. Is it just me or does it look just like a dime?

Of course not, that right hand cornflake is a most accurate representation of Gran Canaria

gran-canaria.jpg

Experts have estimated it to be worth at a minimum, $ 0,10. But E-bay auctions are unpredictable and it may be worth a lot more to specific Gran Canaria maps collectors.

Is the US worth more now that we have found a State that looks like a cornflake?

I wonder what a collection of all fifty states would fetch? :biggrin:

jimmysnyder said:
Is the US worth more now that we have found a State that looks like a cornflake?

Well, your overall value has shot up by £100,000. Which at the exchange rate in 2 weeks time should be about 3.4 trillion USD.

Just barely enough to pay for the war in Iraq!

I'll take a box of them.

You know, my first thought was that this would be a Virgin Mary or Jesus flake. Anybody else think that?

Cyrus said:
I'll take a box of them.

...Cyrus, all of a sudden you look so...level...

Glad to see you kicked the habit!

I think I'm going to have to start eating more cornflakes and hunting for states! Do you think cornflakes shaped like Illinois are the only collectible ones, or can I get that much for other states? I think I'll start looking for OH...that seems like a good cornflake shaped state.

Well if you have never seen what the corn flak resembles, your brain wouldn't create the perception that it looks like Illinois, and probly would have been eaten by the person that found it, I'm sure he/she glad that he didnt...

Just another way how the brain's perception of object's in the means of relation's to another object could make you rich.

reminds me of the thread about rolex wacthes. It's just a clock, and its just a corn flak. well in my perception of it's worth it is... and it's clear that they think its worth that much, just for a rich guy to show off to his friends, and say (hey look i got somthing you don't got)... makes me wonder what the resale value of that corn flak is :D!

good luck try'n' to keep it from decompossing

What is "The £100,000 cornflake"?

"The £100,000 cornflake" is a cornflake that was sold on eBay for £100,000 in 2008. It gained attention for its high selling price and unusual listing title.

Why was it sold for such a high price?

The seller claimed that the cornflake resembled the state of Illinois and had been found in a packet of Kellogg's Corn Flakes. They also stated that it had "divine" qualities which made it a rare and valuable item for collectors.

Is it actually worth £100,000?

The true value of the cornflake is subjective and debatable. While the buyer was willing to pay £100,000 for it, others may not see the same value. There is no objective measure of the cornflake's worth.

What happened to the cornflake after it was sold?

After changing hands several times on eBay, the cornflake was eventually purchased by a collector in the United States. It is now a part of their collection of unusual items.

Has there been any other unusual food items sold for high prices?

Yes, there have been several other instances where food items have been sold for high prices due to their perceived rarity or uniqueness. Some examples include a grilled cheese sandwich with the image of the Virgin Mary and a potato chip shaped like the state of Missouri.