The 114th Congress (spanning 2015-2017)

• News
  • Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
Yeah, I don't get it. Why now and why resign his seat and not just his speakership? Is he running for president? Running from a scandal we don't know about yet? This doesn't make any sense to me.

From one of Astronuc's articles:

A well thought-out decision! Did he just crack?

My guesses: he resigned the speakership because the alternative was to be voted out. few men will accept demotions. It's depressing and humiliating to return to flunkyhood. A Presidential run seems to me most unlikely. The public isn't clamoring for a Boehner presidency.

I expect Boehner to make yearly multimillions as a lobbyist. Did you know that former PM Tony Blair is paid 3 million dollars a year by JPMorgan Chase?

Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
A well thought-out decision! Did he just crack?
Suddenly go sane? Recognize the futility of fighting "the good fight?"

mheslep
Gold Member
My guesses: he resigned the speakership because the alternative was to be voted out.
A Boehner challenge was already tried and ended in failure.

Boehner has held elective office for 30 consecutive years, 24 of them in the House. It may be that he's just done.

A Boehner challenge was already tried and ended in failure.

Boehner has held elective office for 30 consecutive years, 24 of them in the House. It may be that he's just done.

I read that article. It didn't say that the challenge failed. Instead, it reads that the motion was made at the end of July and no move would be made until after the six-week recess. That means the challenge would occur in mid-September.

mheslep
Gold Member
Eight months is a long time in the House, with their 24-month terms.
Sure, though I don't see how that's relevant to the odds that Boehner left because he feared being voted out. Moreover, those earlier attempts established the consequences of failed attempts: immediate removal from choice posts. If one strikes at the king, you must kill him.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
As Boehner departs, his to-do list could remain undone
https://www.yahoo.com/politics/as-boehner-departs-his-to-do-list-could-remain-090026430.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
jtbell
Mentor
The Republicans in the House were going to vote today to select a candidate to become Speaker, who would have also had to pass a later vote by the full House. But Kevin McCarthy, who originally looked like the best-positioned candidate, dropped out of the race suddenly today.

Boehner has now postponed the vote, and says he will stay in office until a new Speaker is elected, presumably after his original Oct. 1 deadline if necessary.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/08/polit...can-vote-mccarthy-webster-chaffetz/index.html

As a Democrat, I'm going to make a bag of popcorn. :-p