The 555 timers I use don't always generate pulses

• Thread starter David lopez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    electronics
In summary: The 555 timer is one of the oldest ICs available. As such there are lots and lots of better IC timers available at low cost. Honestly, I can't imagine why anyone would still use a 555. For example, consider the 7555 which is functionally nearly identical but has much improved performance, these can often be directly substituted in a circuit.
David lopez
I have 3 555 timers. They don't always produce pulse. Sometimes
They do. Sometimes they don't. Why don't they always produce pulses? I use electrolytic capacitors.
There is nothing connected to the 5th pin.

Engineering news on Phys.org
David lopez said:
I have 3 555 timers. They don't always produce pulse. Sometimes
They do. Sometimes they don't. Why don't they always produce pulses? I use electrolytic capacitors.
hi there

well, you have given us very little to go on to try and help you
A circuit diagram of YOUR circuit would be helpful
As would a well lit and focused photo or two of your construction

With both of those things we may be able to see an error in your circuit and/or an error in your construction

Give us information of how many pulses per second or what ever that you were expecting to get
and what is the 555 circuit supposed to be driving ( what other circuit)

That's probably a main part of the problem as pin 5 is pretty much always used.
Unless it has a specific control voltage on it from another circuit, then it is ALWAYS grounded ( to 0V rail)
via 0.01uF ceramic, mylar etc capacitorDave

So I should ground the 5th pin with a capacitor?

David lopez said:
So I should ground the 5th pin with a capacitor?

yes

Check also that the Not_Reset pin 4, is connected to Vcc which also goes to pin 8.

Likes davenn
Why is pin 5 connected to a capacitor?

Inside the 555 there are three identical resistors in series between the Vcc and the ground terminal. That voltage divider provides 1/3 Vcc and 2/3 Vcc reference voltages to the internal comparators. Pin 5 is connected to the upper divider voltage. A capacitor to ground removes power supply noise from the potential divider and comparator inputs, so the timing is more accurate with less jitter.

I tried using a 0.1μf polyester capacitor
Connecting pin 5 to ground. That didn't work. I tried using a different 555 timer. That didn't
Work. Could there be something wrong with the capacitor? The circuit is in astable mode.

The problem is that you have not given us your circuit diagram.
Post a link or drag and drop an image onto your next post.

Likes Averagesupernova
This doesn't really answer your question, but...
The 555 timer is one of the oldest ICs available. As such there are lots and lots of better IC timers available at low cost. Honestly, I can't imagine why anyone would still use a 555. For example, consider the 7555 which is functionally nearly identical but has much improved performance, these can often be directly substituted in a circuit.
For a modern design, you could look into TimerBlox ICs from Analog devices or other similar ICs.

David lopez said:
I tried using a 0.1μf polyester capacitor
Connecting pin 5 to ground. That didn't work. I tried using a different 555 timer. That didn't
Work. Could there be something wrong with the capacitor? The circuit is in astable mode.

That may be because you still have other issues with your circuit/construction

I have asked for YOUR circuit diag and a photo or two of your construction way back in post #2

you still haven't provided these ... it's really difficult to help you better without this info ...
otherwise we are all just wasting out time guessing at what the problems may be

Dave

David lopez said:
I use the circuit diagram from this site.
What did you use for a power supply? And at what voltage?

Likes davenn
I have two breadboards, a grey one
And a white one. I tried the white one
And the circuit started producing pulses. Sorry. I didn't try that until 1
Hour and 47 minutes ago. Do you have
Any idea what is wrong with the grey
Breadboard? and I have white breadboard, nothing wrong with white
Breadboard.

"Grey" and "white: don't adequately describe the breadboards. For all we know they may be wired very differently. You need to provide details about their configurations, manufacturer, model number...

Likes davenn
I will do some research.

I got the grey breadboard from a seller
On ebay. I am unable to provide more
Details. I bought the white breadboard
From mouser electronics. Diligent, is
The manufacturer of the white breadboard. Both breadboards look
Identical, except for the different colors. They have the same number of points. Both have a positive terminal
And negative terminal on each side.

DaveE said:
Honestly, I can't imagine why anyone would still use a 555.
For the same reason I don't use a micrometer when framing a house. Sometimes good enough is good enough.

• Love
Likes Tom.G, davenn and dlgoff
David lopez said:
I have two breadboards, a grey one
And a white one. I tried the white one
And the circuit started producing pulses. Sorry. I didn't try that until 1
Hour and 47 minutes ago. Do you have
Any idea what is wrong with the grey
Breadboard? and I have white breadboard, nothing wrong with white
Breadboard.
You STILL haven't provided photos... PLEASE do so you are making people guess
and it again is still just wasting time
If you really want help, you need to help us help you

DaveE said:
The 555 timer is one of the oldest ICs available. As such there are lots and lots of better IC timers available at low cost. Honestly, I can't imagine why anyone would still use a 555.

So ??

because they work and are easy to use

Likes dlgoff
davenn said:
So ??

because they work and are easy to use

Not for the OP :cool:

Cheers

• Haha
Likes davenn
cosmik debris said:
Not for the OP :cool:

Cheers
Probably only because he has a wiring error

hence my continued insistence for photos !

Here are the photos of my breadboard.

Those are photos of blank breadboards, before any circuitry that you added onto them. Can you please post clear pictures of the non-working circuit? Thanks.

Likes davenn
David lopez said:
View attachment 243600

Here are the photos of my breadboard.
this one looks wrecked, I wouldn't use it

again

davenn said:
Probably only because he has a wiring error

hence my continued insistence for photos !

Actually I tried putting the circuit on the grey breadboard again. I think if you don't use for a few hours it will work
Again.

I don't think it is a wiring error.

• Skeptical
Likes davenn
David lopez said:
Without a schematic we'll never know.

Likes davenn
David lopez said:
Buddy ... do you REALLY want help or are you just going to screw us all around for ever ?

David lopez said:
Well since you don't know what is going on, you really have no idea if that is a correct statement

IF you really want help start answering questions and supply the info asked for
else you may find your thread getting closed

Those prototyping boards are susceptible to bent contacts. If a thick wire is used it can open the contacts, then when a thinner wire is used, that contact may be intermittent. Worn contacts may also be a problem as oxide forms on the base metal.

When a circuit does not work, test the contacts by inserting a long link in parallel with the suspect link, use different holes in the same bars.

Look under the board. It is usually possible to remove the base to access the connector bars, remove a bar, clean out the dirt, then carefully bend the spring contacts back into shape.

What could be causing my 555 timer to not generate pulses consistently?

There are a few potential reasons for this issue. One possibility is that the power supply to the 555 timer is not stable, which can cause fluctuations in the output pulses. Another possibility is that the timer is not receiving a stable trigger signal, which is necessary for it to generate pulses. Additionally, the timer may be damaged or malfunctioning, in which case it will need to be replaced.

How can I troubleshoot my 555 timer to determine the cause of the inconsistent pulses?

First, check the power supply to ensure it is providing a stable voltage. If the power supply is not the issue, then check the trigger signal to make sure it is stable and within the appropriate voltage range for the timer. If both of these are functioning properly, then the timer itself may be the problem and will need to be tested or replaced.

Is there a way to improve the consistency of the pulses generated by my 555 timer?

Yes, there are a few steps you can take to improve the performance of your 555 timer. First, make sure the power supply is stable and within the recommended voltage range for the timer. Additionally, you can add a capacitor to the timer's power supply to help smooth out any fluctuations. You can also try using a different type of trigger signal, such as a square wave, to see if that improves the consistency of the pulses.

Can the load connected to the output of the 555 timer affect its ability to generate pulses?

Yes, the load connected to the output of the 555 timer can have an impact on its performance. If the load is too large, it may cause the timer to not be able to generate pulses consistently. It is important to make sure the load is within the recommended range for the timer and that it is not drawing too much current, which can also affect the timer's performance.

Are there any common mistakes or errors that could cause a 555 timer to not generate pulses?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes that can lead to inconsistent pulse generation in a 555 timer. One is using incorrect values for the timing components, such as the resistors and capacitors. Another is not providing a stable power supply or trigger signal, as mentioned earlier. It is also possible that the timer is not connected correctly or that there is a short circuit somewhere in the circuit, which can cause the timer to malfunction.