1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The A Field?

1. Nov 1, 2006 #1
    The "A" Field?

Hello All,

A while ago, I had a chance to read this research paper that was trying to explain how the "Marinov Motor" works. In the paper, they explain that it does not use regular induction through magnetic B fields, but instead makes use of the "A" field. I don't remember reading anything about this field in my physics book and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to some good introductory info about it. I heard it has to do with magnetic potential or something. In case you are interested, I also attached the file I was looking over.

Thanks,
    Jason O

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is the magnetic vector potential. (One form of one of) Hemlhotz's theorem says that any divergenceless vector field [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] can be written as the curl of of a vector field:

[tex]\vec{B}=\nabla \times \vec{A}[/tex]

Note that just as the electric potential or the potential energy function in mechanics, the potential vector [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] is not unique but rather for any [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] such that
    [itex]\vec{B}=\nabla \times \vec{A}[/itex], [itex]\vec{A}+\nabla\lambda[/itex] where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is any (properly bahaved) scalar function is another vector potential for [itex]\vec{B}[/itex].

Additionally (though this information might be superfluous at this point, it is very important), according to (another version of another) Helmhotz theorem, any vector field can be written as a function of its curl and its divergence only. Since we only need that the curl of A be B, we can litrally choose any value we want for the divergence of A.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  4. Nov 1, 2006 #3
    This paper doesn't seem to refer to what google calls the http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/bbmotor.html" [Broken]. The latter does not really depend on fields; a current selectively heats and deforms ball bearings so that they (through frictional forces) apply an acceleration. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  5. Nov 2, 2006 #4
    That is not the Marinov motor I am looking into. Here is another document referencing it:

http://redshift.vif.com/JournalFiles/Pre2001/V05NO3PDF/v05n3phi.pdf

@quasar987,

Thanks for the info. What physical significance does the A field have? What physical entities does it react with? Or is it just some sort of mathematical abstraction?

Thanks,
    Jason O

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  6. Nov 2, 2006 #5

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I quote Feynman:

From lecture 15 chapter 5 of volume 2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook