1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Absolute Value of Gamma Function Tends To Zero As x Tends To Negative Infinity

1. Sep 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The absolute value of the gamma function [itex] \Gamma (x) [/itex] that is defined on the negative real axis tends to zero as [itex] x \to - \infty [/itex]. Right? But how do I prove it?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried to use Gauss's Formula:

[tex] \Gamma(x)=\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{n!n^{z}}{z(z+1) \cdots (z+n)}. [/tex]

Should I keep going in this direction?

But frankly, the calculation gets too technical so it'd be better if there is a bit easier way.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: The Absolute Value of Gamma Function Tends To Zero As x Tends To Negative Infinit

Have you ever looked at the graph of the Gamma function on the real line? Look in here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_function . Does it look to you that ##\Gamma(x) \rightarrow 0 ## as ##x \rightarrow -\infty?##

RGV

4. Sep 26, 2012 #3
    Re: The Absolute Value of Gamma Function Tends To Zero As x Tends To Negative Infinit

Ah.. I know what you mean. Maybe I need to modify my problem first. I know it has poles on non-positive integers. But excluding poles, it seems the absolute value of the gamma function tends to zero as [itex] x \to - \infty [/itex].

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Complex_gamma_function_abs.png)

May I define

[itex] f(x) = \Gamma (x) [/itex] only for [itex] x<0 \quad \mbox{and} \quad x \neq -1, -2, -3, -4, \dots [/itex]

and then prove [itex] |f(x)| \to 0 [/itex] as [itex] x \to - \infty [/itex]?

5. Sep 27, 2012 #4

Ah.... MY BAD!! sorry.. what was I thinking.... Let me clarify once more:

Take [itex] x_{n} \in (-n,1-n) [/itex]. Then [itex] \Gamma (x_{n}) \to 0 [/itex] as [itex] n \to \infty [/itex].

I think I have an idea to solve it without using Gauss's Formula. After I try, I will put on the thread.

Anyway thanks for reminding me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook