Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The absolutivity of same time

1. Apr 23, 2012 #1
    Can we get the absolute time through thermodynamics?

Beacuse the second law of thermodynamics tells us what is irreversible process,it means the absolute nature of time.

The other reason,the movement in heat is the movement of molecules,that motion don't satisfy the Lorentz Transformation,so it can help us make sure the absolute nature of time.

I must say that,in this talk,this "absolute nature of time" is not Newton's absolute time which is independent of matter.I only want to say the absolute nature of same time.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2012 #2
    We also have to take into effect that some of the interactions in the Second Law are going to be moving, and therefore, "slower," relative to the observer. Note that we're going to never see anything moving backwards in time in SR. Everyone's just appearing to move slower than the observer.

Note that when I say "moving slower," what I mean is that, for instance, any clocks of that reference frame will appear to run more slowly. I suggest you look a little into General Relativity.

4. Apr 23, 2012 #3
    This is not correct. The molecules and any collision events do satisfy the Lorentz transformation. Collisions and changes in momentum are also subject to relativistic transformations.

5. Apr 23, 2012 #4
    doubtful since time is NOT absolute

Don't know what you mean, but entropy sets a direction with the arrow of time not a rate.

When you move faster, time slows relative to the slower frame of reference.....thermodynamics follws that.

6. Apr 24, 2012 #5
    ict begs to differ, being an absolute value. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook