1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: The action of pressure on a balloon

1. Jan 14, 2010 #1
    See the image below. State 2 is the starting position, and State 1 results from when the chain is pulled down. Clearly, the volume of the balloon has increased from 2 to 1. I was struggling to understand the exact physics behind this. As p=k/v, the pulling of a chain down will increase volume, decreasing pressure within the container. This will result in a negative pressure within the container. How does this negative pressure result in the expansion of the balloon? I believe it is due to the elastic recoil forces balancing the negative pressure, however I do not understand this fully. Would it be possible for someone to explain this to me? I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/5182/screenshot20100114at164.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted