Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The action principle

1. Jan 30, 2007 #1
    i've been using langrangeans to solve eqns for a few months in class now but can't figure out where lagrange's equations actually come from. my problem is that i cant understand why the action integral S always takes a minimum value. can anyone help me with this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What you want to study is what is known as the Calculus of Variation. This is often found in mathematical physics text/courses. The best source to start is Mary Boas's text "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences", a book that I recommend all physics undergraduate to get. She has a whole chapter on the calculus of variation that is very easy to follow at the undergraduate level.

Other than that, you may want to get a few sources from Edwin Taylor's page, who is a strong advocate on the teaching of the least action principle ahead of the standard Newtonian "force" concept. He has several links to his papers here:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?