Relativistic Particle Action: Minimize Length & Avoid Problems

In summary, the first action is to minimize the worldline length, while the second has auxilary field e which transforms under reparametrizations. They are equivalent, but the second one doesn't seem to have the same problems with the square root.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
In case of a relativistic particle, one can try to minimize the length of the worldline of the particle, thus write the action as:
[itex] S = -m \int_{s_i}^{s_f} ds = - m \int_{\tau_i}^{\tau_f} d \tau ~ \sqrt{\dot{x}^{\mu}(\tau) \dot{x}^{\nu} (\tau) \eta_{\mu \nu}}[/itex]
Where the minus is to ensure minima and [itex]m[/itex] is the mass, chosen for dimensional reasons [also for the eq. of motion].

However I heard that this action is problematic, in the case of [itex]m=0[/itex] (massless particles) and also due to the [itex]\sqrt{.}[/itex] it gets problematic at quantization.
So to overcome those two problems, one can define another action:

[itex]S= \int d \tau e [ e^{-2} \dot{x}^2 + m^2 ] [/itex]
With [itex]e[/itex] now an auxilary field, transforming under reparametrizations as a vielbein. The Equation of Motions for the [itex]x[/itex] field for both actions are the same,so they are equivalent. The second however doesn't seem to have the same problems with the square root, neither with the massless case (due to the freedom of fixing [itex]e[/itex]).
My main question is, however, how can someone build the second action? I mean did people find it by pure luck or are there physical reasons to write it down? eg. for the first action as I mentioned, the idea is to minimize the worldline length.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Educated guess would be the right answer: the particle is a constrained system and the square-root (as in the case of the Klein-Gordon equation without squaring) is tempting to make you look for a linear alternative. To my shame (for I love the history of physics a lot), I don't know who coined this einbein formulation.

http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/4188/whats-the-point-of-having-an-einbein-in-your-action

And a little research on the history side, maybe this article (which for me is behind a paywall) is a start:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0370269376901155

Last edited:
yes sorry I meant einbein.

1. What is the concept of relativistic particle action?

Relativistic particle action is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the behavior of particles in a relativistic (high-speed) regime. It states that the path a particle takes in space and time is determined by minimizing its action, which is a measure of the particle's energy and momentum.

2. How does the principle of minimizing length apply to relativistic particle action?

The principle of minimizing length is a key component of relativistic particle action. It states that the path a particle takes in spacetime is the one that minimizes the distance traveled, or the "length" of the path. This is an important concept in understanding the behavior of particles moving at high speeds.

3. What problems does the principle of minimizing length help to avoid in relativistic particle action?

The principle of minimizing length helps to avoid problems that arise in classical physics when dealing with high-speed particles. These problems include inconsistencies in measurements of energy and momentum, as well as the breakdown of classical laws of motion.

4. How does the concept of action relate to energy and momentum in relativistic particle action?

In relativistic particle action, the action is a measure of the particle's energy and momentum. This means that the path a particle takes is determined by the conservation of energy and momentum, and the action is the mathematical expression of this principle.

5. What are some real-world applications of relativistic particle action?

Relativistic particle action has numerous applications in modern physics, including particle accelerators, nuclear reactors, and space exploration. It is also used in the development of theoretical models for high-energy phenomena, such as black holes and the early universe.