The aether was a flawed experiment?

• Thread starter crx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aether
In summary: This rules out any conceptually coherent ballistic theory of light propagation, according to which the speed of light is the vector sum of the velocity of the source plus a vector of magnitude c. Ironically, the original Michelson-Morley experiment was consistent with the ballistic theory, but inconsistent with the naïve ether theory, whereas the Sagnac effect is consistent with the naïve ether theory but inconsistent with the ballistic theory. Of course, both results are consistent with fully relativistic theories of Lorentz and Einstein, since according to both theories light is propagated at a speed independent of the state of motion of the source.
crx
OK, i imagine that a few ensteiniens of you will roll eyes when they hear...aether! I was thinking about Michelson-Morley experiment and i have some questions. If light is thought to be an perturbation of aether (just like waves on water or sound waves) that their speed should be independent of any aether flow (in case that we suppose that Earth is moving through aether, i guess), just like sound waves, their direction and speed its independent of the air movement. So the experiment i guess was not adequate to show any result...

Physics news on Phys.org
crx said:
If light is thought to be an perturbation of aether (just like waves on water or sound waves) that their speed should be independent of any aether flow
But not independant of our movement through it.
If there is a fixed aether with a fixed speed of light relative to it we should see a different speed moving in opposite directions - exactly the same as the doppler effect

crx said:
just like sound waves, their direction and speed its independent of the air movement.
But the direction and speed of sound waves are not independent of the air movement. If this were not the case then it would be very difficult for passengers on a jet to carry on a conversation.

DaleSpam said:
But the direction and speed of sound waves are not independent of the air movement. If this were not the case then it would be very difficult for passengers on a jet to carry on a conversation.

So if i shoot a focused ultrasound to a target (transducer), in no moving air i will miss the target when the air between the source and target its blowing? I think yes, if the speed of the wind its considerable high relative to the speed of the sound and the source...But how much should be the aether speed (relative to the source) to have a considerable effect on an electromagnetic wave?

crx said:
So if i shoot a focused ultrasound to a target (transducer), in no moving air i will miss the target when the air between the source and target its blowing? I think yes, if the speed of the wind its considerable high relative to the speed of the sound and the source...
Yes. As a matter of fact, this very technique is used to noninvasively measure the speed of water in pipes.
...But how much should be the aether speed (relative to the source) to have a considerable effect on an electromagnetic wave?
Well, the speed due to the Earth's rotation is about 1000mph -- and that's enough we should be able to detect it.

crx said:
But how much should be the aether speed (relative to the source) to have a considerable effect on an electromagnetic wave?
That all depends on the sensitivity of your measuring apparatus. That was the whole point of the Michelson-Morley experiment. They had built a very sensitive device. Modern devices are much more sensitive, on the order of 2 cm/s or better.

DaleSpam said:
That all depends on the sensitivity of your measuring apparatus. That was the whole point of the Michelson-Morley experiment. They had built a very sensitive device. Modern devices are much more sensitive, on the order of 2 cm/s or better.

what do they measure?

cfrogue said:
what do they measure?

the phase difference between the two waves...interferometer

crx said:
the phase difference between the two waves...interferometer

Oh, so this does not measure the contant speed of light?

cfrogue said:
Yes it does, the device is constructed so that if the speed of light is not constant any difference shows up in the phase.

cfrogue said:

It compares the relative speed of light in the two arms - very accurately!

mgb_phys said:
It compares the relative speed of light in the two arms - very accurately!

Frequency is a function of wavelength and speed. MMX measures frequency.

To decide that speed has been detemined, one would have to know the absolute motion of an inertial frame to eliminate the wavelength compression as a determining factor.

Modern Physics/Michelson-Morley Experiment
Walter Ritz's emitter theory (or ballistic theory), was also consistent with the results of the experiment
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Modern_Physics:Michelson-Morley_Experiment

This rules out any conceptually coherent ballistic theory of light propagation, according to which the speed of light is the vector sum of the velocity of the source plus a vector of magnitude c. Ironically, the original Michelson-Morley experiment was consistent with the ballistic theory, but inconsistent with the naïve ether theory, whereas the Sagnac effect is consistent with the naïve ether theory but inconsistent with the ballistic theory. Of course, both results are consistent with fully relativistic theories of Lorentz and Einstein, since according to both theories light is propagated at a speed independent of the state of motion of the source.
http://www.mathpages.com/rr/s2-07/2-07.htm

Walter Ritz's emitter theory (or ballistic theory), was also consistent with the results of the experiment, not requiring aether. The theory postulates that light has always the same velocity in respect to the source.[6] However it also led to several "obvious" optical effects that were not seen in astronomical photographs, notably in observations of binary stars in which the light from the two stars could be measured in an interferometer. If this was correct, the light from the stars should cause fringe shifting due to the velocity of the stars being added to the speed of the light, but again, no such effect could be seen.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelson-Morley_experiment

Here is the bottom line, MMX does not prove a constant speed of light.

That is why in the early 60's, some folks began to try to eliminate Ritz's theory with experiments from moving light sources since MMX could not do that.
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/experiments.html#moving-source_tests

Last edited by a moderator:
cfrogue said:
Here is the bottom line, MMX does not prove a constant speed of light.
True - but do you need an experiment to prove the speed of light is constant.
Don't you believe Maxwell ?

DaleSpam said:
Yes it does, the device is constructed so that if the speed of light is not constant any difference shows up in the phase.

what about the Sagnac effect ?

mgb_phys said:
True - but do you need an experiment to prove the speed of light is constant.
Don't you believe Maxwell ?

I absolutely believe the speed of light is a constant.
I just understand MMX does not prove it.

This is further proof, MMX cannot measure speed.

The Kennedy-Thorndike Experiment

R.J. Kennedy and E.M. Thorndike, “Experimental Establishment of the Relativity of Time”, Phys. Rev. 42 400–418 (1932).
This uses an interferometer similar to Michelson's, except that its arms are of different length, and are not at right angles to each other. They used a spectacular technique to keep the apparatus temperature constant to 0.001°C, which gave them sufficient stability to permit observations during several seasons. They also used photographs of their fringes (rather than observing them in real time as in most other interferometer experiments). Their apparatus was fixed to the Earth and could only rotate with it. Their null result is consistent with SR.

crx said:
what about the Sagnac effect ?

what about it.

I understand it.

cfrogue said:
I absolutely believe the speed of light is a constant.
You shouldn't believe it absolutely! :bugeye:

This is further proof, MMX cannot measure speed.
It never claimed to.

Hurkyl said:
You shouldn't believe it absolutely! :bugeye:

Yes, I should.

What are the choices.

I know all of them.

It is the case, that most of physics accepts mindless detail on this matter.

I wonder what you do.

Hurkyl said:
It never claimed to.

Yes, most of physics falsely claims MMX proves a constant speed of light.

Last edited:
cfrogue, you are more or less correct, although I think you are exagerating. MMX and similar interferometer experiments prove isotropy of the speed of light. This is part of the speed of light being "constant" but certainly not all of it. Other experiments were required and performed. That is why the FAQ has more than one entry.

mgb_phys said:
do you need an experiment to prove the speed of light is constant.
Don't you believe Maxwell?

Even if you believe Maxwell, don't you need to check to the precision that technology allows that he was right?

cfrogue said:
What are the choices.
How about having a belief conditioned on available evidence?

Yes, most of physics falsely claims MMX proves a constant speed of light.
Earlier, you were talking about whether MMX measures the speed of light. Now you're talking about whether MMX proves the speed of light is constant. Make up your mind.

Hurkyl said:
How about having a belief conditioned on available evidence?

Good idea.
The available evidence of a constant light speed from moving light sources plus MMX, points strongly in the direction that the speed of light is a constant.

Hurkyl said:
Earlier, you were talking about whether MMX measures the speed of light. Now you're talking about whether MMX proves the speed of light is constant. Make up your mind.
If I talked about MMX measuring the speed of light, then my wording was wrong.

I would never claim MMX can measure the speed of light.

Nor, would I claim MMX proves a constant speed of light either.

The tests of light speed from moving light sources show the speed of light cannot be speed injected with the motion of the light source.
These eliminate Ritz's emission theory. The results of Sagnac are also inconsistent with light emission theory.

1. What is the aether and why was it considered a flawed experiment?

The aether was a hypothetical medium that was believed to fill the space between objects in the universe. It was thought to be responsible for the propagation of electromagnetic waves, including light. However, this theory was eventually disproven by experiments such as the Michelson-Morley experiment, which showed that the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's motion. This undermined the concept of aether and rendered it a flawed experiment.

2. Who first proposed the idea of aether and why?

The ancient Greeks were the first to propose the idea of aether, which they believed to be the fifth element alongside earth, air, fire, and water. They thought that aether was the substance that made up the celestial bodies and gave them their eternal and unchanging nature.

3. What were the implications of the aether theory on the understanding of light and the universe?

The aether theory had significant implications on the understanding of light and the universe. It was believed that light needed a medium to travel through, and the aether was thought to be that medium. This theory also influenced the concept of absolute space and time, as it was believed that the aether was stationary and provided a reference frame for measuring motion.

4. How did the Michelson-Morley experiment disprove the existence of aether?

The Michelson-Morley experiment involved measuring the speed of light in different directions, using a device called an interferometer. If the aether theory was correct, the speed of light should have varied depending on the direction of the Earth's motion through the aether. However, the experiment showed that the speed of light remained constant, regardless of the Earth's motion. This contradicted the concept of a stationary aether and ultimately disproved its existence.

5. Are there any modern theories that incorporate the concept of aether?

No, there are no modern theories that incorporate the concept of aether. The aether theory has been replaced by the theory of relativity, which does not require a medium for the propagation of light. Additionally, recent experiments, such as the LIGO experiment, have further confirmed the validity of the theory of relativity and have not found any evidence for the existence of aether.