How to Write Vectors in Spherical Coordinates for Scalar Product Evaluation

In summary, the problem involves finding the relation between the angle ϒ and the polar and azimuthal angles of two vectors, Θ1, Φ1 and Θ2, Φ2. To solve this, we can write out the Cartesian components of each vector in spherical coordinates and then evaluate the scalar product. The x, y, and z components can be written as x = ρ*sinΘ*cosΦ, y = ρ*sin Θ*sinΦ, and z=ρ cos Θ. However, the challenge lies in writing a vector in the form of B= Bxx-hat+Byy-hat+Bzz-hat using the x, y, and z spherical components. Further guidance is
Ki-nana18
Here is the problem verbatim:
The polar and azimuthal angles of a vector are Θ1 and Φ1. The polar and azimuthal angles of a second vector are Θ2 and Φ2. Show that the angle ϒ between the two vectors satisfies the relation:

cos ϒ = cosΘ1*cos Θ2+sinΘ1*sinΘ2*cos(Φ12)

Hint: write out the Cartesian components of each vector in spherical coordinates and then evaluate the scalar product.

Where I run into trouble with this problem is when writing out the Cartesian components into Spherical components. I do know that x = ρ*sinΘ*cosΦ, y = ρ*sin Θ*sinΦ, and z=ρ cos Θ, but I'm not sure how to write a vector in the form of B= Bxx-hat+Byy-hat+Bzz-hat using the x, y, and z spherical components. Someone please point me in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just realized I posted this in the wrong section of the forum. Sorry.

What is the angle between two vectors?

The angle between two vectors is the amount of rotation required to align one vector with the other. It is measured in degrees or radians.

How do you calculate the angle between two vectors?

The angle between two vectors can be calculated using the dot product or the cross product of the two vectors. The formula for calculating the angle using the dot product is arccos((a•b)/(|a|*|b|)), where a and b are the two vectors and |a| and |b| are their magnitudes. The formula for calculating the angle using the cross product is arcsin(|a x b|/(|a|*|b|)), where a and b are the two vectors and |a x b| is the magnitude of their cross product.

Can the angle between two vectors be negative?

Yes, the angle between two vectors can be negative if the vectors are oriented in opposite directions. The negative sign indicates that the vectors are pointing in opposite directions, and the magnitude of the angle is still the same as the positive angle between the vectors.

What is the range for the angle between two vectors?

The range for the angle between two vectors is from 0 degrees to 180 degrees. This is because the angle between two vectors cannot exceed a straight line (180 degrees) and cannot be less than 0 degrees.

What is the significance of the angle between two vectors?

The angle between two vectors is significant because it determines the level of similarity or dissimilarity between the two vectors. A small angle between two vectors indicates that they are closely aligned, while a large angle indicates that they are pointing in different directions. This information is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.