Getting Started: Overcoming the Blank Page

• Thread starter hidemi
  • Start date
In summary, the question is asking for the angular momentum of a fish relative to a hand, which is 1 meter away. L=Iw is not the simplest way to look at it, and more natural is the L=rmv form: linear momentum multiplied by perpendicular distance.
hidemi
Homework Statement
A 0.50 kg fish, hooked as shown below, starts to swim away at a speed of 3.0 m/s.

The angular momentum of the fish relative to the hand holding the fishing rod is

about:

(a) 3 kg m^2 / s

(b) 6 kg m^2 / s

(c) 17 kg m^2 / s

(d) 30 kg m^2 / s

(e) 60 kg m^2 / s

The answer is A.
Relevant Equations
L = I w
I have no idea how to start ;(

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    15 KB · Views: 136
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
I have no idea how to start ;(
Doesn't get you any help, as per PF guidelines ....
You might know that by now ... ?

What is w ? what is I ? How do they relate to your known variables ?
Any alternative to ##\vec L = I \vec \omega ## ?

##\ ##

BvU said:
Hi,

Doesn't get you any help, as per PF guidelines ....
You might know that by now ... ?

What is w ? what is I ? How do they relate to your known variables ?
Any alternative to ##\vec L = I \vec \omega ## ?

##\ ##
Here's my calculation:
L = I*w = m*r^2*(v/r) = 0.5 * 11 * 3 = 16.5

Option (C) is close to my answer, but (A) is the official answer. Can anyone help, please? Thanks!

I echo @BvU's suggestion to use an alternative to ##\vec L=I\vec \omega##. However, if you insist on using ##\vec L=mr^2 \vec \omega##, you have to consider that ##r## s the distance to the point about you calculate the angular momentum and ##\omega## is the rate of change of the angle subtended by the fish about that same point. About what point is the problem asking you to find the angular momentum?

hidemi said:
Here's my calculation:
L = I*w = m*r^2*(v/r) = 0.5 * 11 * 3 = 16.5

Option (C) is close to my answer, but (A) is the official answer. Can anyone help, please? Thanks!
You got v/r from the equation ##v=\omega r##, but what does the geometric relation of the directions of v and r need to be for that to be true?

Thanks for all of your responses.
I tried my best to think it through, and here's what I got:
L = I w = m*r^2 * v/r = m * r * v = 0.5 * 1 *3 sin(30) = 3/4

The question is asking for the angular momentum of fish relative to the hand holding the fishing rod which is 1 meter for the 'r'. As for v, it has to be perpendicular to r, so it has to multiply by sin(30) to obtain the y component to be perpendicular to r.

hidemi said:
Thanks for all of your responses.
I tried my best to think it through, and here's what I got:
L = I w = m*r^2 * v/r = m * r * v = 0.5 * 1 *3 sin(30) = 3/4

The question is asking for the angular momentum of fish relative to the hand holding the fishing rod which is 1 meter for the 'r'. As for v, it has to be perpendicular to r, so it has to multiply by sin(30) to obtain the y component to be perpendicular to r.
The rod and fishing line are irrelevant. Just concentrate on the velocity of the fish and the straight line it is swimming along in relation to the hand.
What is the perpendicular distance from the hand to the line of movement of the fish?

Likes BvU
haruspex said:
The rod and fishing line are irrelevant. Just concentrate on the velocity of the fish and the straight line it is swimming along in relation to the hand.
What is the perpendicular distance from the hand to the line of movement of the fish?
I calculated based upon your illustration and got the correct answer as below, but I'm not sure why.

L = I*w = 0.5 * 2^2 * 3/2 = 3

hidemi said:
I calculated based upon your illustration and got the correct answer as below, but I'm not sure why.

L = I*w = 0.5 * 2^2 * 3/2 = 3
Using the L=Iw form is not the simplest way to look at it. More natural here is the L=rmv form: linear momentum multiplied by perpendicular distance.
By differentiating wrt time you get the torque = force times perpendicular distance equation.

Likes hidemi
haruspex said:
Using the L=Iw form is not the simplest way to look at it. More natural here is the L=rmv form: linear momentum multiplied by perpendicular distance.
By differentiating wrt time you get the torque = force times perpendicular distance equation.
I got it. Thank you so much.

1. How do I overcome writer's block and get started on a blank page?

Writer's block can be a frustrating experience, but there are several strategies you can try to overcome it. One approach is to start by brainstorming and jotting down any ideas or thoughts that come to mind. Another option is to take a break and engage in a different activity, such as exercise or listening to music, to help clear your mind. You can also try freewriting, where you write continuously without stopping or editing until you have some ideas to work with.

2. What is the best way to organize my thoughts and ideas before starting to write?

Organization is key when it comes to writing. One helpful technique is to create an outline or mind map to visually map out your ideas and their connections. You can also use index cards or sticky notes to jot down individual ideas and then arrange them in a logical order. Experiment with different methods to find what works best for you.

3. How can I find inspiration for my writing when I feel stuck?

Inspiration can come from many sources, but some common ways to find it include reading, taking a walk in nature, or engaging in a creative activity. You can also try exploring different perspectives or asking yourself questions about your topic to generate new ideas. Additionally, surrounding yourself with supportive and creative people can also help spark inspiration.

4. What can I do if I feel overwhelmed by the blank page?

Feeling overwhelmed is a common experience when facing a blank page, but there are several things you can do to manage it. One approach is to break your writing task into smaller, more manageable chunks. Set a timer for a short amount of time, such as 15 minutes, and focus on writing during that time. You can also try using writing prompts or starting with a specific sentence or phrase to get your creative juices flowing.

5. How can I stay motivated and consistent with my writing?

Writing regularly can be challenging, but setting specific goals and creating a writing routine can help you stay motivated and consistent. It can also be helpful to find an accountability partner or join a writing group to keep you on track. Celebrate your progress and accomplishments, and don't be too hard on yourself if you miss a day or two. The key is to keep going and make writing a regular part of your routine.