Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The answer to all questions

1. May 27, 2006 #1
    What is the answer to all questions? Does it exist?

Rules:

-the answer may not be a refusal to answer, or a change of subject
    -the answer must be true with regard to the question being asked
    -the answer must be less than 100 words long
    -the answer may not be a question itself
    -the answer must be in english

Last edited: May 28, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2006 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

addendum
    - the answer must not be simply 42

4. May 27, 2006 #3
    Would...

"That would be an ecumenical matter!"

count? :tongue:

...To be honest "I don't know" unless the question happens to be something i do know like "what is your name?" but i can't be sure of what my name is, i might of had amnesia and been told my name was something it's not and believed it. I guess what i'm trying to say is there's always the possibility that my mind has been tricked so i can't be sure of anything.

Last edited: May 27, 2006
  5. May 27, 2006 #4
    "Can u see?"

"I dont know" = not true!

6. May 27, 2006 #5
    The answer to all questions, is the question, does the question force you to interpret what the meaning is?

7. May 27, 2006 #6
    addendum
    - the answer may not be a question itself

And besides it changes the subject so it would have been disqualified anyway.

8. May 27, 2006 #7
    Then you should add this to your list.

Does it? edit: The answer to all questions is the answer.:rolleyes:

9. May 28, 2006 #8
    Good job :smile:

I hadnt thought of that one, mine was "the truth".

10. May 28, 2006 #9

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

That wouldn't work. Consider the question "What is the content of Mein Kampf?"

11. May 28, 2006 #10
    The truth stands for the true answer to that question.
    So even if the question is "what is a lie", then the true answer to that question is still the true answer to that question.

12. May 28, 2006 #11
    Check rule two with your answer. Can we make the claim that knowledge does not change over time? If not then all answers are true and false.

13. May 28, 2006 #12
    Rule 2 states that the answer must be true. How can the true answer not be true?

And what do u mean with the changing of knowledge over time?

14. May 28, 2006 #13
    How about " Please repeat the question ."

It isn't a refusal, less than 100 words long and in English , is true with regard to the question being asked, and is not a question (a request) in itself either.

Arun

15. May 28, 2006 #14
    It is a response, but not an answer to the question.

16. May 28, 2006 #15
    Well, in that case rule no 1 would be unnecessary, since all the constraints stated would have been "responses" as well .
    Perhaps the OP should make the conditions clearer.

17. May 28, 2006 #16
    I think the rules are good for now. Ur response doesnt survive rule number 2, it is not true w.r.t. the question being asked.

18. May 28, 2006 #17
    It’s not true when you give the wrong answer.

Consider the question where is the Earth? These are all true answers it just depends on when you ask the question. If you go outside of the timefame you ask the question the answers are false.

01-The Earth is nowhere it is not created yet. 5BY<BC
    02-The first ape to jump out of a tree said under my feet. 5MY<BC
    03-The Earth is standing still the sun, moon and stars revolve around it. 2,000BC.
    04-The Earth is moving around the sun along with the other planets and the stars are fixed in the sky. 1500AD
    05-The Earth is moving around the sun while it moves around the centre of our galaxy. 1920?
    06- The Earth is moving around the sun around our galaxy and at the same time around a local group galaxy ect ect. 1950?
    07- Besides all this if you calculate all the moving around in circles it is a strait line, not only that, what was once true is that, wherever the Earth is moving it is doing it faster and faster as time goes by. 2006

So you see the answer to all questions is the answer. So this way you evade lying or not telling the truth there is no true answer. If you say that the true answer is the truth, you will have to add to your list that the questions must be answered in an instant, in exactly the same time that it was asked.

19. May 28, 2006 #18
    I think I know the answer. Metaphorically "the answer" is the answer. However, actually the answer to all questions is as follows, : "The one thing I know, is that I do not know."
    the addendum, ("the one thing I know"), truthfully answers the question, "Do you see?"
    We assume we know the answer, but can never prove it. Perhaps this is why the oracle at Delphi called Socrates "The wisest of all men."

20. May 28, 2006 #19
    Metaphorically; "The answer" is the answer.
    Technically; You can't answer all questions with one answer, each question needs individual answers.

21. May 28, 2006 #20
    Hey just try asking a dead guy if he's alive. Don't expect an answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?