Resistor Change from Aorta to Capillaries

In summary, the conversation discusses the change in resistance from the aorta to the capillary vessels, assuming lamina flow. The Hagen-Poiseuille law and the cross-sectional area of the capillaries are used to calculate the resistance per unit length of a single capillary compared to the aorta. The conversation also touches on the resistance formula for parallel resistors. The final result is that the total resistance of the capillary vessels is equal to the resistance of a single capillary multiplied by 9 billion, due to the identical nature of the capillaries. The conversation concludes with well wishes and greetings from Holland and England.
Alcyon
The aorta branches into up to 30-40 billion capillary vessels, 8-10 billion of which are used effectively. As a consequence the cross-sectional area increases by a factor of 800. If we start from the assumption that there are 9 billion capillary vessels (all of which are equally thick) – how does the resistor change from the aorta to the (parallel) capillary vessels?

Anyone please? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Come on guys...you use to talk about things like pulling the Moon towards Earth...now, here's a real question and you don't know what to say anymore? You can't be serious on that one...

Perhaps you could share with us your thoughts?

The Hagen-Poiseuille law is the key...

Poiseuille's law requires lamina flow; blood flow is decidedly turbulent.

Ya, you're right. But I have to write down something, so let's just pretend that we've got lamina flow here.

Thank you by the way...:)

Okay, if we assume lamina flow then the 'resistance' of a circular tube would be given by;

[tex]\Re = \frac{8L\eta}{\pi r^{4}}[/tex]

We can express this in terms of cross-sectional area thus;

[tex]\Re = \frac{8L\eta}{Ar^{2}}[/tex]

You can work the rest out for yourself...:wink:

Ah, no...I can't really.

We have the "resistance" of one circular tube now, right? So we have to raise it to the power of 9 billion?

Alcyon said:
Ah, no...I can't really.

We have the "resistance" of one circular tube now, right? So we have to raise it to the power of 9 billion?
Not quite, if the total cross-sectional area (the sum of the cross-sectional areas of the individual capillaries) increases by a factor of eight hundred and there are nine billion capillaries, each capillary will have a cross-sectional area of how many times than that of the aorta. HINT: You should obtain a number <<1 since a capillary is many times narrower than the aorta. We are of course assuming, as the question states, that each capillary is of the same dimensions.

8.89 *10^-8? :)

Alcyon said:
8.89 *10^-8? :)
Indeed [itex]\frac{800}{9\times 10^9}[/itex]. So the cross-sectional area of an individual capillary is 8.89x10-8 times that of the aorta. Now what happens to the radius of each capillary?

Just for your information, after some research it appears that blood flow from the aorta behaves as lamina flow; I stand corrected.

The radius is: sqrt (A/pi), isn't it?

(thanks again for your help...really appreciate it. :))

Alcyon said:
The radius is: sqrt (A/pi), isn't it?
Indeed, however, you may wish to leave it in terms of r2 (it just takes a further step out of the calculation. So using that information we can form as equation in terms of area exclusively;

[tex]\Re = \frac{8L\eta}{\pi r^{4}}[/tex]

[tex]\Re = \frac{8L\eta}{\frac{A^{2}}{\pi}}[/tex]
Alcyon said:
(thanks again for your help...really appreciate it. :))
Its my pleasure :smile:

I don't fully understand though...what about the 8.89 *10^-8?

Edit: My bad...but what's the final result?

Last edited:
Alcyon said:
I don't fully understand though...what about the 8.89 *10^-8?
That is how many times larger the cross-sectional area of a single capillary compared to the aorta. If you substitute that into the last equation for A that will give you the resistance per unit length of a single capillary when compared to the aorta. Do you follow?

Yes...so the resistance per unit length of a single capillary is to be raised to the power of 9 billion?

Alcyon said:
Yes...so the resistance per unit length of a single capillary is to be raised to the power of 9 billion?
Why would you wish to do this?

Edit: My bad again.

1:R_total = 1/R1 + 1/R2 ...

right?

Last edited:
Alcyon said:
Edit: My bad again.

1:R_total = 1/R1 + 1/R2 ...

right?
Spot on :smile:

Okay...but there is R1 - R9billion...I can't possibly do that!

Ah...so: R1 * 9billion?

Alcyon said:
Okay...but there is R1 - R9billion...I can't possibly do that!

Ah...so: R1 * 9billion?
Yes, as each capillary is identical, the resistance of each will also be identical;

[tex]\frac{1}{\Re_{total}} = 9\times10^{9}\cdot\frac{1}{\Re}[/tex]

Okay, so R_total = R * 9*10^9 ?

Alcyon said:
Okay, so R_total = R * 9*10^9 ?
Not quite, you may want to recheck your math there;

[tex]\frac{1}{\Re_{total}} = 9\times10^{9}\cdot\frac{1}{\Re} = \frac{9\times10^{9}}{\Re}[/tex]

[tex]\Re_{total} = \frac{\Re}{9\times10^{9}}[/tex]

Of course...:D

I can't believe I'm going to be a doctor a few years from now.
Thank you very much, you have been of great help.

Greetings from Holland! :)

Alcyon said:
Of course...:D

I can't believe I'm going to be a doctor a few years from now.
Thank you very much, you have been of great help.

Greetings from Holland! :)
Good luck with your studies, I imagined this was some sort of biophysics course. It was my pleasure to help you :smile:, an interesting problem; greetings from England.

1. How does the resistance of the aorta compare to the resistance of capillaries?

The resistance of the aorta is much lower compared to the resistance of capillaries. This is because the aorta is a large, elastic artery that can expand and contract to accommodate the high pressure and volume of blood coming from the heart, whereas capillaries are much smaller and have a higher resistance due to their narrow diameter.

2. What factors contribute to the change in resistance from the aorta to capillaries?

The main factors that contribute to the change in resistance from the aorta to capillaries are the diameter of the blood vessels and the length of the blood vessels. The aorta has a larger diameter and shorter length compared to the capillaries, resulting in lower resistance. Additionally, the viscosity of blood and the overall health and condition of the blood vessels can also affect resistance.

3. How does the change in resistance affect blood flow from the aorta to capillaries?

The change in resistance from the aorta to capillaries creates a gradual decrease in blood flow. This is necessary for the body to efficiently distribute oxygen and nutrients to all of its cells. The high resistance in the capillaries also allows for the exchange of gases and nutrients between the blood and tissues.

4. How does the body regulate resistance in the aorta and capillaries?

The body regulates resistance in the aorta and capillaries through various mechanisms. One of the main ways is through the autonomic nervous system, which can constrict or dilate blood vessels to adjust resistance. Hormones and local chemical signals can also affect resistance by causing vasodilation or vasoconstriction.

5. What are some disorders or conditions that can affect resistance in the aorta and capillaries?

There are several disorders and conditions that can affect resistance in the aorta and capillaries. Some examples include hypertension (high blood pressure), atherosclerosis (buildup of plaque in the arteries), and vasculitis (inflammation of blood vessels). These conditions can affect blood flow and lead to serious health complications if left untreated.