1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: The approx. uncertainty in r

1. May 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]V=\pi r^{2} h[/tex]

The uncertainties in V and h are shown below
    V 7%
    h 3%

The approximate uncertainty in r is:
    A. 10% B. 5% C. 4% D. 2%

2. The attempt at a solution
    According to the key the correct answer is B. This answer can be calculated by:
    [tex]r^{2}=\frac{V}{\pi h}[/tex]
    which gives 3%+7% = 10% uncertainty
    and subsequently
    [tex]r=\sqrt{\frac{V}{\pi h}}[/tex]
    giving 10% * 1/2 = 5%

However:
    if the value of 5% uncertainty for r is inserted in the original equation it all doesn't make sense:
    [tex]V=\pi r^{2} h[/tex] should then give an uncertainty for V of 3%+5%+5%=13%

Can anyone please explain this?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I'd say the answer was 2%, but I can't really explain how your book got to that answer.

[tex]\frac{dV}{V}=2 \frac{dr}{r}+\frac{dh}{h}[/tex]

4. May 4, 2010 #3
    That was my first thought as well. But the key says no.

And as proved in my previous post, the 5% uncertainty does make sense, however if used in the original equation (or by simply reversing the second) it doesn't sum up.

5. Apr 20, 2011 #4
    Bump. Any ideas?

6. Apr 20, 2011 #5
    you must be clear about what is measured and what is calculated.

if you measure V and h and are wanting to calculate r, then 5% is the correct error. but then your check does not make sense because there you are assuming r and h are measured and V is calculated.

If the question asked what error in r (which is measured) would give rise to a 7% error in V (which is calculated) given a 3% error in h (which is measured), then the answer would be 2%.

hope this helps

7. Apr 20, 2011 #6
    Yes, that makes sense. Thanks!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook