Understanding the Arg Function: Evaluating, Usage & Properties

• Thread starter wahaj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the Arg function is used to find the angle between a complex number and the x-axis, and can be calculated using trigonometric formulas. It is important to consider the principal argument, as well as the interval in which Arg(z) is defined.
wahaj
We are doing complex numbers, polar coordinates, Euler's formula etc in class and there is this thing called the Argument (Arg) function. I am having trouble understanding what this is. This is a new concept and sadly my notes aren't much help. So could someone kindly answer the following questions.
what is this function?
How do I evaluate it?
Where is it used?
Are there any properties of this function I should know about?
Anything for further reading is also appreciated but keep in mind that this is the first I am seeing all this stuff. No wikipedia please because math on wikipedia doesn't make sense to me with all those complicated equations and symbols that I have never seen before.

Here is a sample question from my assignment just to make sure I am getting my message across properly. Feel free to use it as an example if you want.
z1 = [itex]\pi[/itex]/8
z2 = 3[itex]\pi[/itex]/4
find Arg (z1z2)

Answer is 7[itex]\pi[/itex]/8
which just seems like simple addition so why go through all this trouble with Arg?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\text{Arg}(z)=-\imath \log \left( \dfrac{z}{|{z}|} \right)=2 \arctan \left(\dfrac{\Im{(z)}}{|{z}|+\Re{(x)}}\right)[/tex]

The reason for introducing it is that complex numbers in geometric form are easier to multiply. This is because arg is a logarithm of the unit scaled numer. In particular

Arg(a b)=Arg(a)+Arg(b)

Last edited:
in the third expression what are those fancy symbols which look like J and R

Those are the real and imaginary parts of z.

In your example, I believe it should read
Arg(z1) = [itex]\pi[/itex]/8
Arg(z2) = 3[itex]\pi[/itex]/4
find Arg (z1z2)

There are different ways to represent complex numbers. If we will be adding them the algebraic form is best
z1=a1+i b1
z2=a2+i b2
z1+z2=(a1+a2)+i (b1+b2)

If we are multiplying, the trigonometric (which is related to exponential) form is best
z1=r1(cos θ1+sin θ1)
z2=r2(cos θ2+sin θ2)
z1 z2=(r1 r2)((cos (θ1+θ2)+sin (θ1+θ2)))

notice that if
z=r(cos θ+sin θ)
r=z/|z|
θ=Arg(z)

My bad about the question. Thanks for help I understand all this now.

lurflurf said:
[tex]\text{Arg}(z)=\log \left( \dfrac{z}{|{z}|} \right)[/tex]

You missed out a factor of ##-i## there, I think.

There is no need to memorize all those logarithm functions if you don't want to.

The way I define Arg is just as the angle between a point and the x-axis. So in the following picture:

220px-Complex_number_illustration_modarg.svg.png

the number [itex]\varphi[/itex] would be the argument.

Now, using trigonometric formulas, you can find easy formulas for the argument. For example, let's say that you have the point 1+10i. This corresponds to (1,10). So if we work in the triangle (0,0), (1,0), (1,10), then we can find the argument by

[tex]\tan \varphi= \frac{10}{1}=10[/tex]

So then you can find [itex]\varphi[/itex] easily.

It might be also good to remark that the principal argument is always a number in [itex](-\pi,\pi][/itex].
So if you ever get an argument equal to [itex]3\pi[/itex], then the principal argument is [itex]\pi[/itex] (note that [itex]3\pi[/itex] and [itex]\pi[/itex] correspond to the same angle!).

^yes thank you.

lurflurf said:
In particular

Arg(a b)=Arg(a)+Arg(b)

This is not true for general a and b. At least, not if you take the principal argument. If you define argument as a multivalued function, then it is true.

So basically Arg is just the angle [itex]\varphi[/itex] in rei[itex]\varphi[/itex] given by tan-1 b/a. a and b come from a+bi

wahaj said:
So basically Arg is just the angle [itex]\varphi[/itex] in rei[itex]\varphi[/itex] given by tan-1 b/a. a and b come from a+bi

Yes, but you need to be careful with that. For example, when calculating the argument of i that way. You would get [itex]\tan^{-1}(\frac{1}{0})[/itex] which is meaningless. On the other hand, [itex]Arg(i)=\frac{pi}{2}[/itex] is easy to see.

Also, you need to take care that [itex]Arg(z)[/itex] is always in the interval [itex](-\pi,\pi][/itex] (or whatever standard you have defined in class). The [itex]\tan^{-1}[/itex] function might not always do the right job for that (depending on how things are defined).

So don't just memorize [itex]\tan^{-1}(\frac{b}{a})[/itex], but rather try to think if your answer makes sense.

Alright. Thank you all for the help

1. What is the Arg function and how does it work?

The Arg function is a mathematical function that calculates the angle, in radians, of a complex number in the complex plane. It takes the complex number as its argument and returns the angle between the positive real axis and the point representing the complex number.

2. What is the difference between Arg and Argc?

The Arg function calculates the angle in radians, while the Argc function calculates the angle in degrees. They both perform the same function, but return the result in different units.

3. How is the Arg function used in mathematics?

The Arg function is used in various mathematical fields, including complex analysis, trigonometry, and geometry. It is particularly useful in representing complex numbers in polar form and in solving problems involving complex numbers.

4. What are the properties of the Arg function?

The Arg function has several properties, including the following:

• The range of the Arg function is between -π and π radians.
  • The Arg function is discontinuous along the negative real axis.
  • For a positive real number, the Arg function returns 0 radians.
  • The Arg function is multivalued, meaning that it can have multiple solutions for a given complex number.

5. How can the Arg function be evaluated and graphed?

The Arg function can be evaluated using a calculator or by hand using the formula Arg(z) = atan2(Im(z), Re(z)), where z is the complex number. It can be graphed by plotting the angle in radians against the complex number in the complex plane, or by using a polar coordinate system.