Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The ART and Arts Thread

1. May 8, 2008 #1
    Every once in a while, a thread comes up that has 'something' to do with the 'Arts'. Past ones had the 'chicken' on the roadside, discussions about Pollock, avatars, etc.

So, I thought this may be interesting.

From paintings to film to dance to your or your child's art, whether a reference to the recent Charlie Rose interview to The cave of Lascaux, from something on eBay to something you have hanging on your walls to an interesting rock or driftwood that you found on vacation.....
  2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2008 #2
    I remember reading some encyclopedia article about Da Vinci when I was 6 or 7 and seeing the Mona Lisa, and was my first enlightening to Art.

An art teacher invited me to see the Art Nouveau show at the Art Institute in 1974 or 75 (I ended up painting her), where I first saw Rossetti's Beata Beatrix, which is still one of my favorites.

(it's about 1/3 the way down the page)

The Pre-Raphaelites were the pre-cursers to the Art Nouveau movement.
  4. May 8, 2008 #3
    Heather is my niece. Here is some of her work.

Heather Mae Erickson
  5. May 9, 2008 #4
    nice stuff----it has an 'organic' and 'clean' sense---
  6. May 9, 2008 #5
  7. May 10, 2008 #6

Gold Member

Thanks for creating this thread, and the other posts are great. I think if I began writing about art in general I might never stop, so I’ll mention an artist I haven’t studied and haven’t tried to theorize about, but just think many of his paintings are lovely. I was struck by his work when I was studying there and first saw the paintings Cosimo de’ Medici encouraged him to paint, decorating the Convent San Marco where he lived, in Florence. That said, I did read somewhere recently that Fra Angelico’s work was a favourite of Picasso, and given my tremendous admiration for Picasso's understanding, that is a great endorsement.
  8. May 10, 2008 #7

Lucien Levy-Dhurmer was in a sub-group of artists in the Art Nouveau movement (stuff like Mucha and Toulouse-Lautrec) called the Symbolists (like Munch-'The Scream' ), which were even subdivided into two mores groups.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Lucien Lévy-Dhurmer &um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Art Nouveau was produced from about 1890-1915.

The Art Nouveau movement was going on at the same time as Einstein was getting his work going.
  9. May 10, 2008 #8
    The nice thing about art is that there is all levels ---Bell shaped curves, to say it another way,---for everyone. Everything (manmade, to some extent) you have on your walls, to every thing you wear and have in your house and outside it. Some like 'Realism' ("At least I can see what it is!") to Abstract and beyond---and most people have opinions about it, if asked.

I missed seeing the tour when it was here.
  10. May 10, 2008 #9
    That first Levy-Dhurmer is the cover on a book (by Philippe Jullian-'The Symbolists'-Phaidon Press) about the Symbolists that I have in the 'coffee table' pile--along with the physics books.

I bought this a couple months ago. Its by Pierre Puvis de Chavannes, a symbolist, --chalk, terra cotta, plaster maybe---it could be 'by', or 'after'--I haven't researched it much yet--
    Last edited: May 10, 2008
  11. May 10, 2008 #10
    I've been a big fan of Storm Thorgersons work. He's most famous for doing the artwork on many of Pink Floyds albums, though he's also done work for Alan Parsons, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Dream Theater and Mars Volta.

12. May 10, 2008 #11
    So suddenly photography isn't art????What the hell man....
  13. May 10, 2008 #12

I really like photography. 2 years in college actually and read a bunch of history--I was just about to post some White, Stieglitz, etc.

There was a photographer named Bill Brandt that was (is) excellent. whoa--and Ansel Adams.

you can put some photos up if you want. I thought the other thread was for another purpose.
  14. May 10, 2008 #13
    The "Art of Photography" , and photography in general, is one reason why the "Art of Painting" became more loose and not "realistic" (Impressionism). Artists like Turner and El Greco did have loosely painted paintings earlier, but when photography became more widespread, a lot of painters didn't need to be so realistic, as a photograph could do the job for a lot of people wanting an 'image'.
  15. May 10, 2008 #14

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ooh, that's the sort of serving ware I like. Clean (white) but interesting shapes. I REALLY like the middle one. I could envision a lot of ways to use that, from a relish tray, or for different sauces, to single-serving desserts on a buffet. Interesting, pretty, and still useful. Very nice! :approve: (I'm guessing I probably can't afford it though.)

This is how you can tell I've been studying reproduction and anatomy WAY too long. That pendant looks like the female reproductive tract to me...ovaries on the right and left, metal work for Fallopian tubes (oviducts), uterus is the red bead, and a vagina at the bottom in metalwork again, ending in a clitoris with that bottom bead. :uhh:
  16. May 10, 2008 #15
    MB---hmmm--I think this is jewelry for a woman

---but there's one part missing, then, according to your 'parts' list---a part that men like----what's the name of it?--it seems to be escaping me ---hmmmmm---it will come to me---

never mind---this is just the bottom half of the piece
  17. May 10, 2008 #16
    Thank you, I'm quite proud of her accomplishments. She just had a show at the Clay Studio in Phila. We bought a copy of the 'swirl bowl' pictured here Swirl Bowl (among others).
    It ran $200, not too dear for an uncle.
  18. May 10, 2008 #17

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's pretty neat too. Though, while $200 for a bowl might be okay for an indulgent uncle, it's a bit steep for my pocketbook. (Great ideas for wedding gifts though. We have a local gallery that sells lots of neat glassware and pottery created by artisans within the state, and while they are pricey, they are something I'd consider when looking for wedding gifts.)
  19. May 10, 2008 #18
    Normally, I shun Walmart unless I can't get the same item at a thrift shop, so this was indeed indulgent. However I shouldn't leave a false impression. Her stuff was selling like hotcakes. We got the last swirl bowl available at the show, and as we were buying it other of her items were selling out as well.
  20. May 11, 2008 #19
  21. May 11, 2008 #20
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?