Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The astounding-sounding expounding surrounding cuttlefish!

1. Aug 20, 2005 #1

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I usually don't get so excited about cephalopods, but these cuttlefish are something special. I saw them on a show last night and think they have one of the most interesting set of features I've ever seen in a single organism. I'm trying to collect a list of all of their features here, so please tell me anything you know about them. When the list is done, I'm taking it to the engineering forum for a watchmaker challenge.
    Here are some things I have so far; They're mostly from memory, so please correct them or expand on any feature I mention if you have more details.

Internal calcium carbonate shell (with buoyancy chambers?)
    Large eyes
    Eight legs
    Two liquid-filled tentacles with suckers; inflated very quickly to catch prey
    Can change their skin color as camouflage from predators, to disorient prey, and communicate with each other.
    One fin extending around their body allows them to move up/down, front/back, side/side easily.
    Have ink (for evading predators?)

I know there's more, just can't recall now...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2005 #2
    Are they high on latent inhibition?

4. Aug 20, 2005 #3

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I don't know; I haven't read about it yet. I stopped to figure out what being loaded meant and got distracted.

5. Aug 20, 2005 #4

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Why on earth not? Cephalopods are by far the best invertebrates in my oppinion :biggrin:
    Pacific reef squid can also change colour almost instantly. It is believed that it is used as a form of communication by them.

6. Aug 21, 2005 #5

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Okay, maybe I'm on my own on this one. But if anyone's interested in this kind of stuff, I think cuttlefish are worth checking out. :smile:

7. Aug 21, 2005 #6
    Aren't cuttlefish strictly salt water animals?

~Kitty

8. Aug 21, 2005 #7

JamesU

Gold Member

I did a 1st grade report on cuttlefish :rolleyes:

9. Aug 21, 2005 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Aw rats, I had a bookmark for an excellent cephalopod website and it's on my old laptop. :grumpy:

This is an excellent site HRW, this has just about everything you'd ever want to know as well as links to other ceph sites.

http://www.cephbase.utmb.edu/

10. Aug 21, 2005 #9

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Woohoo! Thanks, I'll check it out. I hadn't been able to find any decent sites.

11. Aug 22, 2005 #10
    I would have thought that the discoverychannel.cm or wikipedia.com would have had some information about the cuttlefish. Did you check those sites?

~Kitty

12. Aug 22, 2005 #11

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Yeah, wiki had basically the same info as the show, and discovery didn't have anything. I'm not finished searching though; I've just been busy, and this near the end of my list.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?