Exploring Atoms: Fact or Fiction?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of proving the existence of atoms for a grade 8 science assignment. It is suggested to look into Brownian Motion and the Rutherford scattering experiment as supporting evidence. Additional resources are also provided, including a website that shows images of atoms. The conversation ends with a thank you for the helpful tips.
ShadowChaotic
I'm doing an assignment for grade 8 science in which I have to prove whether or not atoms are fact or fiction. I was just wondering if anyone would be able to give me a few tips to help me out with this. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
First, atoms are fact! I'm not sure what kind of "proof" would be appropriate to an eighth grade paper but you might want to look at "Brownian Motion". I went to google.com, entered "Brownian Motion" and got a number of links, including this one:
http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/109N/more_stuff/Applets/brownian/brownian.html

It was Albert Einstein's (heard of him?!) 1905 paper on Brownian Motion that gave the first convincing proof of the existence of atoms.

Last edited by a moderator:
ShadowChaotic said:
I'm doing an assignment for grade 8 science in which I have to prove whether or not atoms are fact or fiction. I was just wondering if anyone would be able to give me a few tips to help me out with this. :smile:
In addition to the previous recommendation, you might also want to look up the Rutherford scattering experiment. This experiment not only confirmed the existence of atoms (which was already generally accepted), it confirmed that atoms have the internal structure of a heavy positively charged nucleus concentrated in a small volume compared to the size of an atom.

There is a nice lttle simulation of the experiment here

http://www.waowen.screaming.net/revision/nuclear/rsanim.htm

You can adjust the starting position of the alpha particle projectile (click and drag) before firing, and see the tracks created as it is scattered by the nucleus. You can also adjust the energy of the particle, which changes its speed.

A very interesting project.

I thought what your teacher wants is a statement who prove the atom existence and how. The above resources is useful.

Nice links, guys! Here's one more, just as a starting point on the subject of http://stm2.nrl.navy.mil/how-afm/how-afm.html , which not only provides images of atoms, but wouldn't even be possible if they didn't exist. There are other sites that offer varying levels of explanation and pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks

thanks guys, that helps a lot!

1. What are atoms made of?

Atoms are made up of three subatomic particles: protons, neutrons, and electrons. Protons and neutrons are located in the nucleus of the atom, while electrons orbit the nucleus in energy levels.

2. Can atoms be seen with the naked eye?

No, atoms cannot be seen with the naked eye. They are incredibly small, with a diameter of around 0.1 nanometers, making them impossible to see without the use of specialized equipment such as an electron microscope.

3. How many different types of atoms are there?

There are currently 118 known types of atoms, known as elements. These elements are listed on the periodic table, which arranges them according to their atomic structure and properties.

4. Are atoms constantly moving?

Yes, atoms are constantly in motion. This movement is known as Brownian motion and is caused by the random collisions between atoms and molecules. The speed of this movement is affected by factors such as temperature and pressure.

5. Can atoms combine to form molecules?

Yes, atoms can combine to form molecules through chemical bonding. This occurs when atoms share, gain, or lose electrons to achieve a stable outer electron configuration. This bonding creates new substances with unique properties.