Attic Orators: Should I Study Them for Philosophy?

• Thread starter brockomundo
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is starting their journey into classical Western philosophy, beginning with pre-Socratic philosophies and then moving on to Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle. They are unsure if they should also study the rhetoric of the Attic Orators or skip it in favor of more abstract Greek thinkers. A suggestion is given to start with Plato, Aristotle, Socrates, and other classic philosophers such as Lao Tzu, St. Thomas Aquines, Confucius, and Buddha, as well as utilizing resources such as a library card, iPod, and audiobook subscriptions.
brockomundo
Well, I'm embarking on my introductory, independent journey through the world of classical Western philosophy. I've decided to start with the pre-Socratic philosophies, then go to Socrates/Plato, then to Aristotle. My next step could possibly be studying the rhetoric of the Attic Orators.

However, I'm not entirely sure of their philosophical bearing. Would it be wise to study them just for the rhetoric they mastered and the insight they offer to the history of Greece? Or to skip them in favor of a more abstract set of Greek thinkers?

Any opinions would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
my suggestion is to start with the following and see where it takes you:

plato, aristotle, socrates, sophocles, the book 'gilgamesh' as it is one of the earliest (if not THE) written by ancient sumarians - the earliest known culture with written language, then move to the classic philosophy masters - Lao Tzu, St. Thomas Aquines, Confucius, Bhudda (lol I can never spell his name write - Sidharta something)...just take this list and go from there...good luck.

I would suggest a library card, ipod and subscription to audible.com - i currently have at any given time 20 audiobooks on my ipod. i always read the book but nice to listen to it again while relaxing when you liked it the first time.

I believe that it is important to approach any subject with a critical and analytical mindset. In this case, studying the Attic Orators for their rhetoric and insight into the history of Greece can certainly be valuable, but it is important to also consider the philosophical implications of their work.

The Attic Orators were known for their persuasive speaking and ability to sway the opinions of their audience. This can offer insights into the art of persuasion and communication, which are important skills in any field, including philosophy.

However, their rhetoric should not be seen as the ultimate truth or the only way to approach philosophy. It is important to also study the abstract and theoretical ideas of other Greek thinkers, such as the pre-Socratics, Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle. These philosophers offer a different perspective on philosophical concepts and can provide a more well-rounded understanding of the subject.

In conclusion, studying the Attic Orators can certainly be beneficial, but it should not be the only focus in your journey through classical Western philosophy. It is important to consider the philosophical implications of their work and also explore the ideas of other Greek thinkers. Ultimately, a diverse and comprehensive approach to studying philosophy will lead to a deeper understanding of the subject.

What is the relevance of studying Attic orators for philosophy?

Studying Attic orators is important for philosophy because it provides insight into the cultural and intellectual climate of ancient Greece, which greatly influenced the development of Western philosophy. Additionally, the orators' speeches and arguments can be analyzed and studied as examples of persuasive rhetoric, which is a valuable skill for any philosopher.

Who were the Attic orators and what were their contributions to philosophy?

The Attic orators were a group of influential speakers and writers from Athens in the 5th and 4th centuries BCE. Their contributions to philosophy include shaping the development of democratic government and influencing the ideas of famous philosophers such as Plato and Aristotle.

What can be learned from studying the speeches of Attic orators?

Studying the speeches of Attic orators can provide insight into ancient Greek society, politics, and culture. It can also help develop critical thinking and analytical skills, as well as an understanding of persuasive rhetoric and argumentation.

How does studying Attic orators compare to studying other philosophical texts?

Studying Attic orators is different from studying other philosophical texts in that it focuses on the practical application of philosophy in the form of persuasive speeches. However, the analysis and interpretation of these speeches can be just as intellectually stimulating and valuable in understanding the development of philosophical thought.

Are there any modern applications of studying Attic orators for philosophy?

Studying Attic orators can have modern applications in the fields of law, politics, and public speaking. The techniques and strategies used by these ancient speakers can still be relevant and effective in contemporary contexts.