1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The axioms of sigma-agebras

1. Oct 14, 2006 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Wiki says that a sigma algebra (or sigma field) is a subset [itex]\Sigma[/itex] of the powerset of some set X satisfying the following axioms

1) [tex]E\in \Sigma \Rightarrow E^c \in \Sigma[/tex]

2) [tex]E_i \in \Sigma \ \ \forall i \in I \Rightarrow \bigcup_{i\in I}E_i \in \Sigma[/tex]

(where the index set I is countable)

Am I missing something or is axiom 2 equivalent to the much less complicated "2') [itex]X\in \Sigma[/itex]"? Cause for any element of [itex]\Sigma[/itex], since its complement is in [itex]\Sigma[/itex] also, the union of both is X itself. So 2) is satified as soon as 2') is. Conversely, 2) implies that X is in [itex]\Sigma[/itex] simply by taking an element of [itex]\Sigma[/itex] and its complement in the union.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2006 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

(2) applies to any sequence of elements of sigma. That includes sequences that don't contain a pair of complementary sets.

4. Oct 14, 2006 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

oh, right!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?