Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The B word is cool?

1. Apr 26, 2006 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Something i've been noticing a LOT lately is people who have bumper stickers that say "B**** on board" or "49% B****, 51% sweet, DON'T PUSH IT" or some other saying... with of course, no ****'s. What's going on here? I thought girls were offended when they were called B's? It's all of a sudden a status simple to be considered one? What the heck's going on here! And they wonder why a woman will never be president...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2006 #2
    its one of those, using the insults as an empowerment sorta things. like blacks using the N-word, americans calling themselves yankees, or short kids with black and white feathers naming themselves "pengwuino"

4. Apr 26, 2006 #3

cronxeh

Gold Member

If woman becomes the President, chances are, she's a total B---- :biggrin:

5. Apr 26, 2006 #4
    cronxeh... what woman isn't just a B**** to you?

6. Apr 26, 2006 #5

cronxeh

Gold Member

your mother? :zzz:

7. Apr 26, 2006 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I'm glad this didn't go off topic in 3 posts

8. Apr 26, 2006 #7
    I, too, don't get it. Blacks call themselves N.....s, many times I heard girls calling themselves B......es. But again if whites call blacks N......s they get their butts kicked off. When you call a girl a B.....h it's a synonym with being ready for disaster. What's good about being a B.....h? I remember in my 8th grade there was a girl who called herself a B-word, I asked her, why do you call yourself a B....h, she responded, becasue I am a B....h. That's pretty funny, so what's up with all this?

9. Apr 26, 2006 #8
    I know, this question isn't for me, but actually, what to you think a B... is?

10. Apr 26, 2006 #9
    don't worry, you're a B***** too, even if you're a penguin.

11. Apr 26, 2006 #10
    literally? female dog... i remember i once called my mum that when i was mad. i was like "You female dog" kinda funny...

12. Apr 26, 2006 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Learn to put the correct number of *'s :biggrin:

13. Apr 26, 2006 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

My "b" word would be "boring". :frown:

14. Apr 26, 2006 #13
    But obviously it doesn't refer to humans. People aren't dogs, or wait, maybe they think they're or at least girls think they are? In what way females are similar to dog's behavior?

15. Apr 26, 2006 #14
    die penguin!!

being called a dog is very derogatory. B***** just makes the distinction for females. when a man is called a dog, its just a dog, but its still rude. i know when we studied slavery, the comparison between blacks and dogs was really common.

16. Apr 26, 2006 #15

-Job-

Science Advisor

It's not about the words, but about the meaning. Different contexts, different meanings. If it's not meant as an insult and not conveyed as an insult, then it's not an insult. It's like saying "guns are bad".

17. Apr 26, 2006 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

So you can call someone an a-hole in a good way? :rofl:

18. Apr 26, 2006 #17
    So why would girls want to derogate themselves? Do they think they're somehow less important or lie lower than a boy? I haven't noticed males calling themselves dogs, except for few exceptions where this term is commonly used in blacks' society. But anyway still, how femal's behavior is similar to dog's one? It may be so that females think that they're kind of men's pets? It's often true that females are treated like pets and free entertainment. I don't know, do you think you're a B.....?

Sorry, but how "I am a B....." compares with "guns are bad."?
    Yeah, you're right, I don't think most of the females call themselves B...es in a true meaning, but use it with a little bit of sarcasm. Anyway, I can barely see such thing as a joke. It's the same as If I would call myself a d.. while being with friends, of course I don't mean I'm a di.. in a true sense, but I'm trying to somehow make fun of myself.
    Who came up with such "jokes"?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2006
  19. Apr 26, 2006 #18

-Job-

Science Advisor

I can, in a non-offensive way, not necessarily as a compliment of course, but not as an insult either. A sort of "neutral use" of the word if you will. Haven't you ever seen that Seinfeld episode where George's co-workers call each other "sons of b****es"? Under those circumstances you can pretty much use any word you want.

20. Apr 26, 2006 #19

Pengwuino

Gold Member

As far as my points, when these girls call themselves B's, they're saying it like it's something to be proud of. I mean what context could they be using when the B word is something good to be called. I think it goes hand in hand with this other attitude a lot of girls have where they openly admit that "I get what i want" or "Buy me something or shut up" or other insane things like that.

21. Apr 26, 2006 #20

-Job-

Science Advisor

You don't get Pengwino, if these girls call themselves b****es, then they're immune to being called that very profanity. It's a type of rebellion, of the kind "i don't care what you think", etc. It's also possibly because they've been called that so many times that they got used to it.
    Personally i don't really get offended by such verbal insults. I don't distinguish between them. All that matters is whether someone is willingly trying to disrespect you, in which case you're allowed to kick some ass without being the bad guy, which is not unpleasant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?