How Can You Source Ball Bearings of Different Diameters but Identical Mass?

In summary, the conversation discusses a practical assignment involving calculating terminal velocity using different diameter ball bearings. The use of Stokes' Law is suggested to assist with the assignment. The challenge of finding ball bearings of different diameters and the same weight is raised, and using the same material and varying both mass and radius is proposed as a solution. The original task specifies measuring different sphere diameters, so using StyrofoamTM spheres with varying diameters and adjusting the mass with additional objects is suggested as an alternative.
Endorser
Hello All,

I have been giving a practical assignment to calculate how terminal velocity changes as the diamter of ball bears increase. I have chosed to use stokes law
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stokes'_law to assist me with the prac.

I required different sized ball bearing but must be of the same weight, using a lathe is way to extreme for this, how else can i get hold of ball bearings off different diamater and the same mass.

They must be of the same materical preferable steel.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want different diameters with the same mass, the density of the ball has to change, meaning you need to use a different material for each ball. That's not practical, so why not use the same material and vary both mass and radius? Terminal velocity will still change with changing radius, and it's not hard to arrive at a theoretical prediction once you know the material's density.

ideasrule said:
so why not use the same material and vary both mass and radius? QUOTE]

The assesment task asks me to measure different "sphere diameters" not different mass or material or density

If you want to control the mass and vary the diameter, consider using StyrofoamTM spheres of varying diameter. You can adjust the mass by installing screws, nails, coins, etc.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your assignment with us. The Ball Bearing Problem is a classic physics problem that involves understanding the relationship between terminal velocity and the size of the object falling through a fluid medium. Using Stokes' Law is a great approach to solving this problem.

As for obtaining ball bearings of different diameters but the same weight, there are a few options you could consider. One option is to purchase ball bearings from a supplier that offers a variety of sizes and materials. Another option is to carefully measure and create your own ball bearings using materials such as clay or modeling clay, which can be molded to the desired shape and weight. Additionally, you could try using different types of small spherical objects, such as marbles or beads, as long as they have the same weight and material as the ball bearings you are using.

I hope this helps and good luck with your assignment!

1. What is the "Ball Bearing Problem"?

The Ball Bearing Problem is a mathematical puzzle that involves the optimal placement of an infinite number of balls inside a cylindrical container, with the goal of maximizing the number of balls that can be fit inside.

2. Why is the Ball Bearing Problem important?

The Ball Bearing Problem has real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It helps scientists and engineers understand how to optimize the use of space and materials, and can also be used as a model to solve other complex problems.

3. What is the solution to the Ball Bearing Problem?

The exact solution to the Ball Bearing Problem is still unknown. However, there are several proposed solutions and mathematical approximations that have been developed over the years.

4. What makes the Ball Bearing Problem difficult to solve?

The Ball Bearing Problem is difficult because it involves an infinite number of balls, which means there are an infinite number of possible configurations. Additionally, finding the optimal solution requires considering the interplay between the shape of the container and the shape of the balls, which adds another layer of complexity.

5. How is the Ball Bearing Problem relevant to everyday life?

The Ball Bearing Problem may seem abstract, but it has real-world applications in fields such as packaging, storage, and transportation. By understanding the optimal use of space, we can improve efficiency and reduce waste in our daily lives.