News The banning of homosexual marriage, and banning of Civil unions.

• Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date

Evo

Mentor
Les, you know that I admire you, but hear me out. I was raised by my mother (my father worked in South America and we only saw him a few days a year). I am heterosexual, as are my two sisters and brother. I have raised my two girls pretty much alone, they are heterosexual. I don't believe that the absence of a mother or father has any influence on a child's sexuality.

Evo

Mentor
Here's a new article on same sex parents.

Teens With Same-Sex Parents Well-Adjusted

MONDAY, Nov. 15 (HealthDayNews) -- Adolescents who have two moms as parents are no different from teens growing up with a mother and a father, a new study finds.

On measures of psychosocial well-being, school functioning, and romantic relationships and behaviors, the teens with same-sex parents were as well adjusted as their peers with opposite-sex parents. The authors found very few differences between the two groups. A more important predictor of teens' psychological and social adjustment, they found, is the quality of the relationships they have with their parents.

"This is the first study that has looked at adolescents with same-sex parents in a national sample, and it shows clearly across a wide range of variables that they're doing pretty well," said study author Charlotte J. Patterson, a professor of psychology at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville.

The research, published in the November issue of Child Development, draws data from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health, a school-based study of the health-related behaviors of kids in grades 7-12.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=97&ncid=97&e=7&u=/hsn/20041115/hl_hsn/teenswithsamesexparentswelladjusted [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
One should be very wary of what so-called sociologists/psychologists say about what sort of unions are "proper" for raising a child.

For example, at the beginnning of the 1900's there were quite a few psychologists who meant that to be born out of wedlock was inherently damaging for the child, and they had lots of evidence/correlations to back up this silly claim with.

There has been much confusion over whether a correlation is indicative of a cause/effect relationship, or merely the result of a common cause.

As Evo's post indicates, we have come a few steps closer towards identifying a proper cause/effect-relationship at the beginning of the 2000's:

"A more important predictor of teens' psychological and social adjustment, they found, is the quality of the relationships they have with their parents."

Although one may raise the objection as to what is the cause and what is the effect here (poor relationship quality might cause poor adjustment, but, conversely, poor adjustment may well deteriorate the relationship between parent&child), this correlation seems to me at least, to be of a more permanent character/lasting relevance than the relationship between social adjustment and some preconceived, narrow idea about what a "good rearing environment" should be.

Last edited: