1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Basics of the Tolman Surface Brightness Test

1. Feb 10, 2007 #1
    I'm trying to get a grasp of the basics of a Tolman SB test. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

To be able to do a Tolman SB test you first have to observe a couple of identical objects at different redshifts. "Identical" here means objects of the same spectral type and luminosity class. Then you measure their apparent areas and their apparent magnitudes, and from these two parameters you get their surface brightnesses*. Now, if the universe is expanding, the surface brightness of an object at, say, z = 0,4 should differ by a factor of 1,4^4 to an identical one at z~0 (that is, the ratio of SB (z~0) to SB (z = 0,4) should equal approx. 1,4^4).

But all of the above is of course highly simplified. For example, the observed SB isn't the "real" SB, correct? To find the "real" SB you have to correct for, among other things, interstellar extinction and interstellar reddening.

*I'm thinking of the relation S=m+2,5logA here, where A is the apparent area.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?