Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Beginning

1. Dec 25, 2004 #1
    Thinking about the following makes my head spin...I'd be interested to hear what other people have to say. This is not mean to be a religious topic, I just want to know what others think about these.........mysteries.

Was there a beginning, a specific point in time where everything started, prior to which there was nothing? (By the way...what is nothing?)

If there was a beginning...
    How and why did it begin? Wait a minute, how did it begin if there was nothing before it? Does this mean that there is an end? whoa.... :bugeye: if there is an end, what is there afterwards? (and back to the nothing question we go)

If there wasn't a beginning...
    WHAT? How can something not have a beginning?

Don't you just love these questions? They drive me insane :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2004 #2
    This is just like pondering over the beginning of time.

How did matter come into existence? If it came spontaneously, then when did this happen? What was there before it? When did space come into existence? What was there before the existence of space? If there was nothing then why there was nothing?

These questions cannot be resolved, neither by God nor Man. They lead us to ad infinitum.

I think it's useless to think about it.

4. Dec 27, 2004 #3
    I really don't believe in an all powerful being, but I would be interested to hear any other explanations.

5. Dec 27, 2004 #4
    I think not.....

Many interesting discussions can spring from trying, just don't expect ever to succeed and If you do, make sure to let me know.....

6. Dec 27, 2004 #5
    If you consider time as the measure of change than this starting point in time becomes irrelevant, time will start when the universe starts and before this there is no time. If you'd like to read up on time I like this link :http://www.utm.edu/research/iep/t/time.htm

I'm not a physics expert but I believe the casimir effect describes matter popping in and out of existence, try the physics boards for this :frown:

7. Dec 27, 2004 #6
    before time began, there was no such thing as time, so u cant say when it began, because that would mean u were saying that time began within a time.

basically time didnt have what we know as a beginning.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?