What is the mysterious particle that caused a solar paradox?

• Thread starter abhigupta.14
  • Start date
In summary: If you're interested in those subjects, there are plenty of lectures under those topics, which may be presented in a way that is easily understood.
abhigupta.14
Hi,
I just ended up doing my 12th standard and I'm trying to motivate and fascinate myself about the world of science. So I would be really glad if you can tell me about some great documentaries which are on the following subjects:-
1.Special and General Relativity
2.Quantum Mechanics
3.String Theory
4.Astrophysics
5.Cosmology
6.Mathematics

Here's the list of documentaries I've seen till date:
Cosmic Time by Michio Kaku
Discovery Science-The Worlds First Time Machine
Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking - Aliens
Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking - Time Travel
Stephen Hawking's Unverse - Story of Everything
What the Bleep do we Know-Down the Rabbit Hole
BBC Dangerous Knowledge
Ancient Aliens

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
abhigupta.14 said:
Hi,
I just ended up doing my 12th standard and I'm trying to motivate and fascinate myself about the world of science. So I would be really glad if you can tell me about some great documentaries which are on the following subjects:-
1.Special and General Relativity
2.Quantum Mechanics
3.String Theory
4.Astrophysics
5.Cosmology
6.Mathematics

Here's the list of documentaries I've seen till date:
Cosmic Time by Michio Kaku
Discovery Science-The Worlds First Time Machine
Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking - Aliens
Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking - Time Travel
Stephen Hawking's Unverse - Story of Everything
What the Bleep do we Know-Down the Rabbit Hole
BBC Dangerous Knowledge
Ancient Aliens

Thanks
What the bleep is a crackpot movie. It's so bad that it is on our banned topics list. History Channel's Ancient Aliens? Only if you listen to the few minutes of the scientists that gave rebuttals to all of the featured cranks.

Evo said:
What the bleep is a crackpot movie. It's so bad that it is on our banned topics list. History Channel's Ancient Aliens? Only if you listen to the few minutes of the scientists that gave rebuttals to all of the featured cranks.

Yeah What the beep is pseudo science right now...
And ancient aliens, just have it lying. Never watched it though. Epicly boring it is...

I wouldn't consider the Ancient Aliens blather currently shown on the History channel to be a documentary material. I hope people don't consider it as a sterotype of all documentaries.

One the OP might like: The Story of Science, Power, Proof and Passion

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/story-of-science/

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/category/science-technology/

Hey Edward
Thanks for replying! Will check out both soon! Have my exams going right now. It has been almost an year since I opened this thread!

The Story of Maths with Jim Al Khalil (sp?)

He also has a 3 part series on Electricity called "Shock and Awe" or something similar that is pretty good.

The Story Of Maths is actually presented by Marcus du Sautoy.

Jim Al-Khalili has done quite a few BBC science doco's:

Atom (3 parts)
Chemistry - A Volatile History (3 parts)
Science & Islam (3 parts)
The Secret Life Of Chaos
Hunt For The Higgs
Electricity - Shock & Awe (just 1 part)

Adyssa said:
The Story Of Maths is actually presented by Marcus du Sautoy.

Jim Al-Khalili has done quite a few BBC science doco's:

Atom (3 parts)
Chemistry - A Volatile History (3 parts)
Science & Islam (3 parts)
The Secret Life Of Chaos
Hunt For The Higgs
Electricity - Shock & Awe (just 1 part)

Ah yeah, I got it mixed up. In any case, The Story of Maths was awesome. I must have got a Volatile History and Shock and Awe mixed up as well. I've watched every Al-Khalili video I could find relating to non Higgs-boson stuff. (That one is boring as heck and could be summed up in a paragraph).

I really like the "history of ..." ones :)

There's a lot of stuff out there presented by Brian Cox too, I have a few from him on Einstein, Gravity, Time, various things. That link has them all.

I have another (24 part) series called "Particle Physics For Non-Physicists", which is really interesting for laypeople like myself. It was a bit hard to follow in places (probably not surprising), but I felt like I learned a few things.

I looked up documentary to see how it's defined. wiki says

"Documentary films constitute a broad category of nonfictional motion pictures intended to document some aspect of reality, primarily for the purposes of instruction or maintaining a historical record."

I don't think any of the videos listed meet the criteria.

If you're interested in those subjects, there are plenty of lectures under those topics, which may be presented in a way that is easily understood.

Feynman lectures / interviews are a popular choice.

Wow! Thanks for the replies!
I too think prof. Brian Cox has some really good "movies" if not "documentaries" in store. I just finished Wonders of the Universe, and found it be Really Good. Will check out the others soon, specially Story of Maths...

And what about Michio Kaku? He's supposed to have some really good stuff, isn't it? Cosmic Time was pretty nice, I think...
nitsuj said:
If you're interested in those subjects, there are plenty of lectures under those topics, which may be presented in a way that is easily understood.

Feynman lectures / interviews are a popular choice.

Can you please provide me some links? They will save me some time and also assure that I'm not looking at the wrong thing.

Thanks!

Adyssa said:
I really like the "history of ..." ones :)

"History of..." ones as in general or some particular "History of..." series?

"History of ..." in general. I was referring mainly to the ones I mentioned "Chemistry - A Volatile History", "Atom", "Science & Islam", "Story of Maths", etc ... Some of the ones that purport to teach you about some high intellectual realm of physics are pretty wacky, I prefer to watch doco's that give me a bit of a feel for how the discipline has evolved and I get a few pointers to subjects and individuals I can find books on, or whatever.

If you visit youtube and type in any famous scientist + lecture you will find a mountain of content. If you type it into google you will get even more, including textual stuff.

This is one of my favorites -- "The Ghost Particle". It's a NOVA episode discussing the paradox in the number of solar neutrinos detected at the Earth. The number did not match the predicted flux from the sun, and it was a very big problem for a number of years back when I was an aspiring young scientist.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/neutrino/

The detectors that they built and the science that they did to solve the mystery are fascinating, and in the end, the understanding of neutrinos had to change in order for the science to work out. Great stuff, IMO.

berkeman said:
This is one of my favorites -- "The Ghost Particle". It's a NOVA episode discussing the paradox in the number of solar neutrinos detected at the Earth. The number did not match the predicted flux from the sun, and it was a very big problem for a number of years back when I was an aspiring young scientist.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/neutrino/

The detectors that they built and the science that they did to solve the mystery are fascinating, and in the end, the understanding of neutrinos had to change in order for the science to work out. Great stuff, IMO.

Sounds Interesting... I'm watching Feynman these days, will watch it soon.

What makes a documentary the best?

The best documentaries are typically those that effectively convey a compelling story or message through thorough research, impactful storytelling techniques, and unbiased presentation of facts.

How are documentaries different from other types of films?

Documentaries are non-fiction films that aim to inform, educate, and raise awareness about real-life events, issues, or people. They typically use interviews, archival footage, and other non-fictional elements to present a factual account of a subject.

What are some examples of highly acclaimed documentaries?

Some examples of highly acclaimed documentaries include "Blackfish," "The Cove," "March of the Penguins," "Citizenfour," and "Bowling for Columbine." These documentaries have received critical acclaim and have also brought attention to important social and environmental issues.

Why are documentaries important for society?

Documentaries play a crucial role in educating and informing the public about important issues, events, and people. They can spark meaningful discussions, raise awareness, and inspire action for positive change.

How can I find the best documentaries to watch?

Some ways to find the best documentaries include researching film festival winners, checking out award-winning documentaries, and exploring streaming platforms that curate documentary collections. You can also ask for recommendations from friends or browse through online forums and reviews.