The best intelligence agency in the world?

• Thread starter curiousguy79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Intelligence
In summary, the conversation discussed various intelligence agencies, including Mossad, CIA, MI6, KGB KSB, and the lesser-known NSA. Participants also mentioned the fictional agency "The Campus" and joked about the abilities of the NSA and its use of electricity. The conversation also touched on the difficulty of pronouncing Scandinavian intelligence agency names. Finally, one participant shared their personal avatar of a kitten with a blowgun.
curiousguy79
the best intelligence agency in the world??

WHich intelligence agency do you think is the best in the world? And why?

Mossad ( Israel )
CIA ( U.S )
MI6 ( British )
KGB KSB ( Russia )

Physics news on Phys.org
I could tell you, but if you asked me to substantiate my assertion, I'd have to kill you...and ummm, everyone else on the forum, err...I mean, the internet!

If they were doing their job well, we wouldn't know about it, would we?

Moonbear said:
I was just making the same post.

Moonbear said:

and if we did, we wouldn't live long to tell about.

NSA obviously since you didn't even think to put them on your list. They do a damn good job staying out of the media. I don't even want to know what the NSA is capable of, it would be way too frightening.

Get this, the NSA's budget for electricity alone is $31 million dollars making it the 2nd largest consumer of electricity in MD. It also employs the most mathematicians and also has the most supercomputers in the world. Its existence was not even acknowleged by the US govt. for years.

Last edited:
gravenewworld said:
NSA obviously since you didn't even think to put them on your list. They do a damn good job staying out of the media. I don't even want to know what the NSA is capable of, it would be way too frightening.

Get this, the NSA's budget for electricity alone is $31 million dollars making it the 2nd largest consumer of electricity in MD. It also employs the most mathematicians and also has the most supercomputers in the world. Its existence was not even acknowleged by the US govt. for years.

Yeah, I bet they have LOTS of Super-Secret Secret Squirrels! :biggrin:

(waits to see who's old enough to get the reference)

ALRIGHT THIS HAS BEEN DRIVING ME INSANE EVER SINCE I HAVE BEEN A MEMBER AT PF. WHAT ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH IS YOUR AVATAR MB? To me It looks like a kitten holding a sniper rifle. Is that what it is a pic of? this has been driving me insane for years now cause I can never quite make out exactly what it is.

Moonbear said:
Yeah, I bet they have LOTS of Super-Secret Secret Squirrels! :biggrin:

(waits to see who's old enough to get the reference)
(does a bit of research)

Aha, I was right. I knew about him before "super-secret" was part of the title. :wink:

Yes, it is a kitten with a sniper rifle, but that doesn't matter right now. What should be bothering you is WHY the kitten has the sniper rifle.

He shouldn't be wondering why the kitten has a sniper rifle.

He should be wondering who it's pointed at.

Heh. Heh. Heh.

gravenewworld said:

a stargate. but you didnt hear it from me.

gravenewworld said:
I don't even want to know what the NSA is capable of, it would be way too frightening.

Look everybody! An ostrich!

There you go grave new world, a bigger version:
http://files.myopera.com/Fengjinlong/albums/58943/sniper-kitten.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Nor have anyone yet mentioned Forsvarets Etterretningstjeneste..

arildno said:
Nor have anyone yet mentioned Forsvarets Etterretningstjeneste..
That's because no one can pronounce it. :grumpy:

Hurkyl said:
He shouldn't be wondering why the kitten has a sniper rifle.

He should be wondering who it's pointed at.

Heh. Heh. Heh.

Not who, what. If I remember correctly, it had to do with bluejays in the family apple orchard. Or something like that.

Last edited:
curiousguy79 said:

Mossad ( Israel )
CIA ( U.S )
MI6 ( British )
KGB KSB ( Russia )

That's easy. The Campus (US). They uplink from all those agencies and more.

Evo said:
That's because no one can pronounce it. :grumpy:

Okay, that one was a bit difficult, I grant you. Here's one that is much simpler:

Politiets Overvåkningstjeneste

arildno said:
Okay, that one was a bit difficult, I grant you. Here's one that is much simpler:

Politiets Overvåkningstjeneste
:bugeye: Darn Norweeds. :grumpy:

How about SÄPO, then? That's a Swedish agency..

arildno said:
Now that's more like it. :approve:

gravenewworld said:

In the '80s I worked for a company in MD with lots of ex-Navy personnel in very high positions. When I asked one of my co-workers what her husband did for a living, she said "numerical cryptology" and not a word more, nor did I bother (or need) to inquire further. :uhh:

Hurkyl said:
(does a bit of research)

Aha, I was right. I knew about him before "super-secret" was part of the title. :wink:

:biggrin: Yep, he was just a Secret Squirrel, but then got a promotion to Super-Secret Secret Squirrel near the end of his career. :approve:

My sniper kitty used to just be hunting mice, but it seems Berkeman has caught him taking shots at the bluejays lately, and once in a while he gets a few good shots in on crackpots. :devil:

For the record...
NSA merely provides "support" for CIA and other allied agencies.
Simply put, they crack codes which assist in various clandestine operations.
No real match for Mossad, CIA, SVR etc. in terms of absolute intelligence capabilities.

arildno said:

I am pretty sure SÄPO is considered to be one of the WORST intelligence agencies in the world (at least they were, maybe they have improved).
MUST (Swedish Military Intelligence and Security Service) or FRA (Swedish National Defence Radio Establishment )would be better candidates since they -like NSA- somehow manage to stay out of the limelight.

But, on a more serious note, if the choice is between "conventional" agencies Mossad is -as far as I know- considered to be the best; not the least because they have agents that can blend in just about everywhere.
It is also one of very few agencies that actually carry out "active" operations (including assassinations) around the whole world, whether or not that is a good thing is of course another question.

For those who weren't sure, he did list NSA in his OP, they just removed it

curiousguy79 said:

Mossad ( Israel )
CIA ( U.S )
MI6 ( British )
KGB KSB ( Russia )

none of this are best
RAW (india) is the supreme

M2GH2 said:
For the record...
NSA merely provides "support" for CIA and other allied agencies.
Simply put, they crack codes which assist in various clandestine operations.
No real match for Mossad, CIA, SVR etc. in terms of absolute intelligence capabilities.
From what I understand they actually gather all types of information from several different sources, crack codes, and attempt to hack foreign networks. As far as intelligence gathering is concerned I would probably rate them rather highly. Despite watching the movie XXX I highly doubt they run any military type missions but military ops are not really intelligence missions so much anyway.

Reading this, I think people would do well to distinguish between "intelligence gathering" and "covert operations".

Vanadium 50 said:
Reading this, I think people would do well to distinguish between "intelligence gathering" and "covert operations".

To be fair there are covert and clandestine missions carried out for the purpose of gathering intel. Agencies like the CIA also put spys in place to gather and even illicit information that can not be procured electronically. The NSA, from what wiki says, use no undercover operatives or infiltration missions themselves. Likely they have the CIA do it for them.

Clearly the only way to solve this is to simultaneously infiltrate all the possible options, and perhaps a dozen other national intelligence agencies for comparison, in order to determine which one is the best. Once we have all the data collected we can conclude that we're the best and the issue is solved

1. What is the best intelligence agency in the world?

The best intelligence agency in the world is subjective and can vary depending on different factors such as budget, resources, and success rates. Some of the top intelligence agencies in the world include the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) in the United States, the Secret Intelligence Service (MI6) in the United Kingdom, and the Mossad in Israel.

2. How does an intelligence agency gather information?

Intelligence agencies gather information through a variety of methods such as human intelligence (HUMINT), signals intelligence (SIGINT), and open-source intelligence (OSINT). HUMINT involves gathering information from human sources, while SIGINT involves intercepting and analyzing electronic communications. OSINT involves collecting and analyzing information from publicly available sources.

3. What is the role of an intelligence agency?

The role of an intelligence agency is to gather, analyze, and disseminate information to support national security and foreign policy objectives. This can include identifying potential threats, providing early warning of potential crises, and informing decision-making by government officials.

4. How do intelligence agencies protect their sources and methods?

Intelligence agencies protect their sources and methods through strict security protocols and compartmentalization. This means that information is only shared on a need-to-know basis and is kept confidential to protect the safety and effectiveness of sources and methods.

5. Can intelligence agencies operate outside of their own country?

Intelligence agencies can operate outside of their own country with the approval and cooperation of the host country. This can include setting up stations or collaborating with other intelligence agencies to gather information and conduct operations. However, intelligence agencies are not allowed to engage in activities that violate international laws or the sovereignty of other countries.