Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The best investment on ebay!

1. Sep 23, 2006 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2006 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Sep 23, 2006 #3

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

From the auction, it looks like the winning bidder sends the money to a charity, the Celiac Research Center at the University of Maryland, then gets the shaving bag from the guy when he sees a reciept of the donation (see the sept 21 note on the auction).

5. Sep 23, 2006 #4
    For some reason I don't think it's charity but I hope it is.

6. Sep 23, 2006 #5

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What causes the doubt? It looks like the initial plan was for the seller to collect the money then send it the charity, which I would say is possibly dodgy. But, after the bids were getting high, he said:

"For whoever wins, I think it makes sense for you to donate directly to Celiac disease and send me the receipt - this cuts out the ebay/paypal middleman, and lets you collect the tax deduction properly."

So there doesn't seem to be any doubt that the buyers money is going to charity. This doesn't rule out the possibility that someone really wants the bag, but I have to think they have the charity in mind.

7. Sep 23, 2006 #6
    People usually don't that for chairty.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2006
  8. Sep 23, 2006 #7
    Is Bob Celiac selling that seattle bag again?

just kidding, I made that up and I'm sorry for doing it.

9. Sep 23, 2006 #8

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I must be slow, I don't understand what you mean. People don't do what for charity? Write cheques?

10. Sep 23, 2006 #9
    people don't do what for charities? reread their quotes?

11. Sep 23, 2006 #10

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm confused. Someone connect the dots for me. Use a big fat jumbo jiffy marker please.

12. Sep 23, 2006 #11
    he said people DO that for charities and you said people DON'T do what for charities. You contradicted his statement by agreeing with it.

13. Sep 23, 2006 #12

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I do know the difference between do and don't. Wait, that's not right. I don't know the difference between do and don't. One of those should be accurate.

Back to my attempted question, what was the "that" part of the "people usually do that for charity" scott1 was referring to?

14. Sep 23, 2006 #13
    Yes..............

15. Sep 23, 2006 #14

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did your "do" turn into a "don't"?

So... you're saying that people don't usually write cheques for charity? If so, how do they usually make donations?

I'm obviously still confused. larger jiffy marker please.

16. Sep 23, 2006 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm really confused too, especially with do turning into don't, and I still have no idea what "that" is that did and now doesn't.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?