The best investment on ebay!

  • Thread starter scott1
  • Start date
321
1
8f_2.JPG

current bid: $1,025 with 66 bids starting at $0.01
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:31&item=270028959717 [Broken]

Those biders need to find a brain on ebay.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

JasonRox

Homework Helper
Gold Member
2,287
3
scott1 said:
8f_2.JPG

current bid: $1,025 with 66 bids starting at $0.01
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:31&item=270028959717 [Broken]

Those biders need to find a brain on ebay.
It's probably just friends playing around on eBay.

Some guys at work do this to their friends when they put up stupid items. They'll go up and bid $100 000 on something stupid like a lost shoe.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

shmoe

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
1,992
1
scott1 said:
Those biders need to find a brain on ebay.
From the auction, it looks like the winning bidder sends the money to a charity, the Celiac Research Center at the University of Maryland, then gets the shaving bag from the guy when he sees a reciept of the donation (see the sept 21 note on the auction).
 
321
1
shmoe said:
From the auction, it looks like the winning bidder sends the money to a charity, the Celiac Research Center at the University of Maryland, then gets the shaving bag from the guy when he sees a reciept of the donation (see the sept 21 note on the auction).
For some reason I don't think it's charity but I hope it is.
 

shmoe

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
1,992
1
scott1 said:
For some reason I don't think it's charity but I hope it is.
What causes the doubt? It looks like the initial plan was for the seller to collect the money then send it the charity, which I would say is possibly dodgy. But, after the bids were getting high, he said:

"For whoever wins, I think it makes sense for you to donate directly to Celiac disease and send me the receipt - this cuts out the ebay/paypal middleman, and lets you collect the tax deduction properly."

So there doesn't seem to be any doubt that the buyers money is going to charity. This doesn't rule out the possibility that someone really wants the bag, but I have to think they have the charity in mind.
 
321
1
shmoe said:
What causes the doubt? It looks like the initial plan was for the seller to collect the money then send it the charity, which I would say is possibly dodgy. But, after the bids were getting high, he said:

"For whoever wins, I think it makes sense for you to donate directly to Celiac disease and send me the receipt - this cuts out the ebay/paypal middleman, and lets you collect the tax deduction properly."

So there doesn't seem to be any doubt that the buyers money is going to charity. This doesn't rule out the possibility that someone really wants the bag, but I have to think they have the charity in mind.
Seller said:
Holy cow, this is going to pay off well for me, and I don't mean by the money! Let's make this more compelling - whatever the winning bid is, I will write a check for that amount to the Celiac Research Center at the University of Maryland (two of my nephews have Celiac disease
People usually don't that for chairty.
 
Last edited:
666
6
Is Bob Celiac selling that seattle bag again?

just kidding, I made that up and I'm sorry for doing it.
 

shmoe

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
1,992
1
scott1 said:
People usually do that for chairty.
I must be slow, I don't understand what you mean. People don't do what for charity? Write cheques?
 
666
6
people don't do what for charities? reread their quotes?
 

shmoe

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
1,992
1
I'm confused. Someone connect the dots for me. Use a big fat jumbo jiffy marker please.
 
666
6
he said people DO that for charities and you said people DON'T do what for charities. You contradicted his statement by agreeing with it.
 

shmoe

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
1,992
1
I do know the difference between do and don't. Wait, that's not right. I don't know the difference between do and don't. One of those should be accurate.

Back to my attempted question, what was the "that" part of the "people usually do that for charity" scott1 was referring to?
 
321
1
shmoe said:
I must be slow, I don't understand what you mean. People don't do what for charity? Write cheques?
Yes..............
 

shmoe

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
1,992
1
Did your "do" turn into a "don't"?

scott1 said:
Yes..............

So... you're saying that people don't usually write cheques for charity? If so, how do they usually make donations?

I'm obviously still confused. larger jiffy marker please.
 

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,349
51
I'm really confused too, especially with do turning into don't, and I still have no idea what "that" is that did and now doesn't.
 

Related Threads for: The best investment on ebay!

  • Posted
Replies
18
Views
3K
  • Posted
Replies
17
Views
2K
  • Posted
Replies
5
Views
3K
  • Posted
Replies
15
Views
2K
Replies
12
Views
4K
  • Posted
Replies
7
Views
2K
  • Posted
Replies
18
Views
2K
  • Posted
Replies
12
Views
5K

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads

Top