What is the Secret Behind the High Bids on this eBay Item?

• Thread starter scott1
  • Start date
In summary: So... you're saying that people usually don't write cheques for charity? If so, how do they usually make donations?
scott1
8f_2.JPG

current bid: $1,025 with 66 bids starting at $0.01
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:31&item=270028959717

Those biders need to find a brain on ebay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
scott1 said:
8f_2.JPG

current bid: $1,025 with 66 bids starting at $0.01
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:31&item=270028959717

It's probably just friends playing around on eBay.

Some guys at work do this to their friends when they put up stupid items. They'll go up and bid $100 000 on something stupid like a lost shoe.

Last edited by a moderator:
scott1 said:

From the auction, it looks like the winning bidder sends the money to a charity, the Celiac Research Center at the University of Maryland, then gets the shaving bag from the guy when he sees a reciept of the donation (see the sept 21 note on the auction).

shmoe said:
From the auction, it looks like the winning bidder sends the money to a charity, the Celiac Research Center at the University of Maryland, then gets the shaving bag from the guy when he sees a reciept of the donation (see the sept 21 note on the auction).
For some reason I don't think it's charity but I hope it is.

scott1 said:
For some reason I don't think it's charity but I hope it is.

What causes the doubt? It looks like the initial plan was for the seller to collect the money then send it the charity, which I would say is possibly dodgy. But, after the bids were getting high, he said:

"For whoever wins, I think it makes sense for you to donate directly to Celiac disease and send me the receipt - this cuts out the ebay/paypal middleman, and let's you collect the tax deduction properly."

So there doesn't seem to be any doubt that the buyers money is going to charity. This doesn't rule out the possibility that someone really wants the bag, but I have to think they have the charity in mind.

shmoe said:
What causes the doubt? It looks like the initial plan was for the seller to collect the money then send it the charity, which I would say is possibly dodgy. But, after the bids were getting high, he said:

"For whoever wins, I think it makes sense for you to donate directly to Celiac disease and send me the receipt - this cuts out the ebay/paypal middleman, and let's you collect the tax deduction properly."

So there doesn't seem to be any doubt that the buyers money is going to charity. This doesn't rule out the possibility that someone really wants the bag, but I have to think they have the charity in mind.
Seller said:
Holy cow, this is going to pay off well for me, and I don't mean by the money! Let's make this more compelling - whatever the winning bid is, I will write a check for that amount to the Celiac Research Center at the University of Maryland (two of my nephews have Celiac disease
People usually don't that for chairty.

Last edited:
Is Bob Celiac selling that seattle bag again?

just kidding, I made that up and I'm sorry for doing it.

scott1 said:
People usually do that for chairty.

I must be slow, I don't understand what you mean. People don't do what for charity? Write cheques?

people don't do what for charities? reread their quotes?

I'm confused. Someone connect the dots for me. Use a big fat jumbo jiffy marker please.

he said people DO that for charities and you said people DON'T do what for charities. You contradicted his statement by agreeing with it.

I do know the difference between do and don't. Wait, that's not right. I don't know the difference between do and don't. One of those should be accurate.

Back to my attempted question, what was the "that" part of the "people usually do that for charity" scott1 was referring to?

shmoe said:
I must be slow, I don't understand what you mean. People don't do what for charity? Write cheques?
Yes.....

Did your "do" turn into a "don't"?

scott1 said:
Yes.....

So... you're saying that people don't usually write cheques for charity? If so, how do they usually make donations?

I'm obviously still confused. larger jiffy marker please.

I'm really confused too, especially with do turning into don't, and I still have no idea what "that" is that did and now doesn't.

1. What are the most profitable items to invest in on eBay?

The best items to invest in on eBay are those that are in high demand and have a low supply. These can include limited edition or rare items, popular brands, and niche products that have a loyal following.

2. How can I determine the potential return on investment for an item on eBay?

One way to determine the potential return on investment is to research the average selling price of similar items on eBay. You can also consider factors such as the condition of the item, the time of year, and the current market trends.

3. Is it better to invest in new or used items on eBay?

It depends on the item and your personal preferences. New items may have a higher initial cost but can potentially sell for a higher price. Used items may have a lower initial cost but may have a smaller profit margin. Consider the demand for the item and the condition of the used item before making a decision.

4. What are some risks associated with investing in items on eBay?

Some risks of investing in items on eBay include market fluctuations, potential fraud or scams, and changing consumer preferences. It's important to do thorough research and consider these risks before making an investment.

5. How can I minimize my risk when investing in items on eBay?

To minimize your risk, it's important to do thorough research on the item and the market trends. Consider diversifying your investments across different types of items and price points. You can also set a budget and stick to it, and carefully evaluate the seller's reputation before making a purchase.