Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The best laptop computer

1. Mar 19, 2006 #1
    i am looking for a laptop computer for college. i am majoring in space physics at embry-riddle.now concidering it must also be economical. i thought i'd ask the ones who would know, you. which one should i get?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2006 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Mac or PC?

4. Mar 19, 2006 #3
    either one.

which is better for my purpose?

5. Mar 19, 2006 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Whichever is the most widely used at your school is the better one. What kind of budget do you have? ~$1500 will get you a real nice laptop...

6. Mar 20, 2006 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you need to do with it? Do you just need to be able to write up reports for classes and have internet access, or are there special applications you need to use for your classes? That might change the recommendations.

Otherwise, I agree with Russ, when it comes to Mac vs PC for student uses, it's usually better to just get whatever is predominantly used on campus so you know you'll have no compatibility problems. Check with your IT help desk and see if they support both platforms or prefer one over the other.

Once the essentials are covered, since you'll be lugging it around all day as a student, I'd look at the weights of the different models that meet your other criteria and get the lightest weight one you can afford (there's usually a trade-off in weight vs. price).

7. Mar 20, 2006 #6
    please name a few that you know of that are under $1000 but still quality

8. Mar 20, 2006 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Most major manufacturers have decent laptops under $1000: I like HP laptops, but Dell makes good ones too.

9. Mar 20, 2006 #8
    I also like HP. I'm buying an HP dv5000 for college. The Compaqs are basically the same as the HPs except silver. I suggest searching Google for notebook reviews as well before you buy.

10. Mar 20, 2006 #9
    thank you guys

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?