The best mechanics books from the bottom to the top + math

In summary, the individual is looking for recommendations on textbooks to study mechanics from the basics to advanced topics, with a focus on mathematical interpretation. They are a high school student with limited exposure to physics and calculus, and are looking for books that are more theoretical and not just focused on practical applications. Some suggested textbooks include Landau&Lifhitz vol. I, F. Scheck's Mechanics, V.I. Arnold's Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics, Halliday&Resnick, Kleppner & Kolenkow, and A.P. French's Newtonian Mechanics. They also recommend visiting a university library to preview books before purchasing.
Jakub
Hey there,

there may be many threads about this problem, but I would want you to recommend me few books to read about mechanics from the bottom to the top. I mean, I don't have that much of a problem in calculus, but I'm not excellent in it either. So I would want a good textbook or bunch of textbooks which goes from the classic motion equations maybe to some advanced, Lagrangian like mechanics.

The best option here to recommend me would be a series of books (it doesn't need to be from the same author, but it's preferable in my opinion) from the basic mechanics to more advanced topics.

I'm really picky in terms of choosing a book for my study, so I often have a problem to choose.
Also, I would be really happy if you could include some maths books as well (pre-requisites for the physics).

Hope you'll help me! Thanks a lot...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
My favorites are

Landau&Lifhitz vol. I (he, however, skips the "naive mechanics" part and right away starts from Hamilton's principle)
F. Scheck, Mechanics - From Newton's laws to deterministic chaos, Springer (2007)

A mathematically rigorous treatment can be found in

V. I. Arnold, Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics, Springer (1989)

Likes dextercioby
vanhees71 said:
Landau&Lifhitz vol. I
Should I get a link for the certain books? Because I found several and can't decide which ones are the ones you mean.
Thanks a lot!

Jakub said:
mechanics from the bottom to the top.
Can you be more explicit about what you mean by the "bottom?" Have you already studied physics at the introductory level using a calculus-based textbook like Halliday/Resnick, Young/Freedman, etc.?

I'm sorry for that. It's more complicated in my case. The problem is, that I'm a student of the high school of electrical engineering and we had physics only in 1st and 2nd year. But it wasn't that good as you would expect... So I did a little bit of self study and learned about the physics concepts. What I'm missing the most is the mathematical interpretation of the subject. Of course there are many phenomenons that I didn't leaned about yet. That's the reason for "bottom to the top" sentence.

I would like to read a book where all of the high school physics is explained also with some essence of the calculus. I know about Halliday&Resnick but my collegues told me that it's too general. So what do I do now? What would you recommend to me? I would like to finally decide which book to read, because there are many and I don't have a clue.

Basicaly, my request is about physics book (so at the end maybe not only about mechanics, but I wanted to go one by one. Like, I mean, read some mechanics book, then thermodynamics and so on...) and also book with the mathematical apparatus naccessary for the physics. (I would be really happy, if I should start with the "real" physics, not the high school based physics.)

Given that situation, I'd also say the right type of book is Halliday, Resnick, Walker or Tipler. There are many other good books of this type. They are introductory university-physics books for the usual experimental course (consisting of mechanics, thermodynamics, classical electrodynamics, quantum mechanics, statistical physics).

Also, I strongly believe that the socalled "non-calculus textbooks/lectures" are not very useful at all. It's not by chance that Newton discovered classical mechanics in our modern sense, because he has been also discovered calculus (although finally Leibniz had the better notation ;-)). It's simply the most adequate language of physics, and indeed one has to learn it anyway. I've not too much overview about English-speaking math books, because I learned my math from German textbooks.

If you want to try a somewhat higher level than Halliday & Resnick and its competitors, you might consider Kleppner & Kolenkow (which is or has been used for intro mechanics at MIT) or Morin (Harvard).

From my old reply to a similar question
www.physicsforums.com/threads/recommend-me-an-introductory-physics-textbook-that-is-more-theoretical.537541/#post-3544657,
here are some updated links:

Chabay & Sherwood's Matter and Interactions (Vol I and II)
https://matterandinteractions.org/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/111891449X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thomas Moore's Six Ideas that Shaped Physics series (C,N,R,E,Q,T)
http://www.physics.pomona.edu/sixideas/

These have interesting non-standard approaches to introductory physics.
They have a "bigger picture" in mind, compared to the standard Halliday&Resnick type textbooks.

Thank you all for the answers! It helped a lot. I think I'll try to look at the Halliday and then if I won't like it that much I'll try the different ones.
But anyway, thanks a lot!

Kleppner and Kolenkow was already mentioned, and I think it would be a good book for you to study next, or at least soon.

A more focused text at the same level as Halliday and Resnick is A.P. French's Newtonian Mechanics. You might find it useful, based on a few of your statements above:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0393099709/?tag=pfamazon01-20...

A Little bit late, but thanks to all who helped me out :).

1. What are the best mechanics books for beginners?

The best mechanics books for beginners include "Mechanics for Engineers" by Russell C. Hibbeler, "Engineering Mechanics: Statics and Dynamics" by R. C. Hibbeler, and "Mechanics of Materials" by James M. Gere and Barry J. Goodno.

2. What are the top mechanics books for advanced readers?

The top mechanics books for advanced readers include "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor, "Introduction to Mechanics" by Daniel Kleppner and Robert Kolenkow, and "Classical Mechanics" by Herbert Goldstein.

3. How important is math in understanding mechanics?

Math is essential in understanding mechanics because it provides the tools and concepts needed to analyze and solve problems. A strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations is necessary for comprehending the principles of mechanics.

4. Can mechanics books be used for self-study?

Yes, mechanics books can definitely be used for self-study. However, it is important to choose a book that is well-written and has clear explanations and examples. It may also be helpful to supplement with online resources or seek guidance from a tutor or teacher.

5. Are there any mechanics books that combine theory and practical applications?

Yes, there are mechanics books that combine theory and practical applications. Some examples include "Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics" by J. L. Meriam and L. G. Kraige, "Mechanics of Materials: An Integrated Learning System" by Timothy A. Philpot, and "Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics" by Gary L. Gray and Francesco Costanzo.