Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The best of stage

1. Dec 31, 2011 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We haven't seen much discussion about stage plays and modern opera here. Do we have any fans of the theater? Favorites?

I grew up watching musicals - The King and I, Fiddler on the Roof, My Fair Lady, Flower Drum Song, Guys and Dolls... and later, productions such as A Chorus Line, and Cats. I always enjoyed the theater. My favorite by far was Phantom of the Opera. Perhaps my least favorite of the major hits, was Cats. I liked a good bit of the music but it just didn't work for me. The one I most regret missing was Les Miserables. Everyone I knew who saw it, loved it.

Perhaps the most interesting drama that I've seen was Tom Stoppard's, Arcadia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcadia_(play)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2011 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe there's a good reason why in 8 years we haven't seen many threads on this subject... if any!

By the time Phantom opened in Los Angeles, Brightman had already moved on. But Michael Crawford was still playing the phantom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5dhyiqhR7Y

And I have to cheat a bit by including my favorite scene from a play, from movie about a play that would never be.

About half way, through the act takes a significant turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSHnK4dvi3w

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  4. Mar 2, 2012 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This week, Great Performances celebrates the Silver Anniversary of Phantom, on PBS.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/episo...the-royal-albert-hall/about-the-program/1258/

5. Mar 2, 2012 #4
    I've never seen the attraction of watching stage plays, especially when I can likely find a movie version of the play to watch in 1080p and 7.1 surround.

Do you prefer a live version to a movie? Why?

6. Mar 2, 2012 #5
    I can't think of one "musical" I enjoy, but I love most of Gilbert and Sullivan. If you aren't familiar with Gilbert and Sullivan, Ivan, I'd recommend their two best , The Mikado, and H.M.S Pinafore.

The music is positively infectious, and the lyrics witty/silly. They are peopled by 3 dimensional characters trying to inhabit a 2 dimensional world of stereotypes demanded by society and tradition, and the plots revolve around the logical paradoxes that situation inevitably creates.

I looked a bit and can't find a performance YouTube that does them justice. The classic D'Oyley Cart recordings are audio only:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-Ky0v_0w0E

A British tar is a soaring soul,
    As free as a mountain bird,
    His energetic fist should be ready to resist
    A dictatorial word.

His nose should pant
    and his lip should curl,
    His cheeks should flame
    and his brow should furl,
    His bosom should heave
    and his heart should glow,
    And his fist be ever ready
    for a knock-down blow.

His eyes should flash with an inborn fire,
    His brow with scorn be wrung;
    He never should bow down
    to a domineering frown,
    Or the tang of a tyrant tongue.

His foot should stamp, and his throat should growl,
    His hair should twirl, and his face should scowl;
    His eyes should flash, and his breast protrude,
    And this should be his customary attitude.

7. Mar 2, 2012 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why go to a concert when you can download the music?

Why meet in person with family and friends when you have email and texting?

8. Mar 7, 2012 #7
    I went to see The Lion King one time with my wife a few months back (a birthday present to her from her mother). I can't say I enjoyed it that much, but the production value was extremely surprising. I thought I was going to see guys running around in lion masks (kind of true for the main characters), some painted backdrops, basically cheesy stuff but it was so much more. They somehow made the costumes so realistic, it looked like a real elephant was in the theater, the music was really good, the stage would open up and unfold etc. Lots of technical stuff and really made you feel like you are in the scene.

It was my first time going to any type of theatrical show, although I've lived in NYC my whole life. I am definitely up to do it again, but maybe see something less "Disney" and more mature. Its ridiculously expensive though! I think the tickets we had cost somewhere around $100-150 a pop (maybe we had good seats?)

9. Mar 7, 2012 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Hey I know that! That's from Raiders of the Lost Arc! :biggrin:

10. Mar 7, 2012 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

11. Mar 8, 2012 #10
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook