The Best Translation of Newton's "Principia" Series - 3 Vols

In summary, the conversation is about finding the best translation of Newton's "Principia" series and the speaker is seeking advice from someone who has read or bought it. They mention having a cheap edition of Cajori's translation but are interested in a version with additional notes and essays. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of reading Newton's text and the suggestion to start with a simpler version before attempting his masterpiece.
NanoTech
"Principia Mathematica"

Hi- I was wanting to know about the best translation of Newton's, "Principia" series. I want all three volumes, anyone who has read/bought these please inform me about it. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why, are you a languist?

I have an edition of Cajori's translation, which is maybe not the best, but was cheap. It's not like Newton's text is poetry or anything.

You might be looking for scholarly apparatus - notes, prefatory esays and so on to make the reading easier, but I'm fraid I don't know of any edition like that.

Ok thanks. Sorry- I didn't mean translation in another language, only to English from Latin/Olde English styles. I have looked at the Motte translation of Principia , but I still find it to be too difficult to read, I guess I should should start with something more simple brfore treading through his masterpiece..

1. What makes this translation of Newton's "Principia" series the best?

This translation is considered the best because it is the most accurate and faithful to the original Latin text. It also includes helpful annotations and explanations to aid in understanding Newton's complex ideas.

2. Who translated Newton's "Principia" series?

The translation was done by Andrew Motte, an English mathematician and translator who worked closely with Newton himself.

3. How does this translation differ from others?

This translation differs from others in that it is a direct translation from the original Latin, whereas others may be based on earlier translations. It also includes detailed explanations and annotations to aid in understanding the complex concepts presented in the series.

4. Is this translation accessible to non-scientists?

While the subject matter may be challenging for non-scientists, this translation has been praised for its clarity and readability, making it accessible to a wider audience.

5. Are all three volumes included in this translation?

Yes, this translation includes all three volumes of Newton's "Principia" series, making it a comprehensive and complete version of the work.