Biblical View of Evil vs Your Opinion

• Thread starter einsteinian77
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of evil and how it is portrayed in the Bible compared to personal beliefs. Some argue that religion itself is the ultimate evil and question the idea of a uniform definition of evil. The Golden Rule is mentioned as a guideline for morality, but it is acknowledged that it may not be applicable in all situations. The Wiccan Rule is also mentioned as an alternative. It is concluded that good and evil are subjective and may not even exist outside of human perception.
einsteinian77
How well does the biblical depiction of evil, things such as sloth, lust, greed,...etc, compare to your opinion on what is truly evil? Or are you one of those people who just thinks evil is a relative term.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by einsteinian77
How well does the biblical depiction of evil, things such as sloth, lust, greed,...etc, compare to your opinion on what is truly evil? Or are you one of those people who just thinks evil is a relative term.
I think that religion is the ultimate evil, so maybe I'm a bit biased...

I think the Bible reflects the mores of ancient Middle Eastern clerics, nothing more or less.

i am considering this topic religious as i can see the path leading that way, therefore it must be locked...sorry...

*edit* thread has been moved and reopened...i am doing this once, as we do not start new religion threads.

Last edited:
einsteinian, if there is a god and it wanted the exact same thing from everyone, wouldn't it have made everyone the same? Since everyone is different that leads me to believe that our hypothetical god expects different things from different people... I think that means evil is relative.

Consider the Golden Rule:

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

What if someone didn't want you to do the things that you want to be done to you? What if you enjoyed pain and your current partner did not? Would it be evil to do it anyway? It certainly would be bad from the partner's point of view.

The golden rule certainly isn't flexible enough to apply to all situations. I suppose it works well enough within a group of common minded people.

I think I prefer the Wiccan Rule although I am not a Wiccan: An if it harm no one, do as ye will.

Obviously the concept of good and evil isn't black and white. As far as the bible goes, there is good advice to be found in it. You just have to use common sense. One shouldn't follow the bible blindly.

The only model we can really apply good and evil to is our own species. Morality probably doesn't exist in most of the animal kingdom. I say most because I don't know if that would apply to monkeys or other, higher animals.

We can speculate about the morality of other species that may exist in the universe. An alien species may be evil from our point of view but they may not even understand the concept of good vs. evil. Are they evil?

Last edited:
Yeah, good and evil are very hard concepts to define.

BTW the Rede is "An it harm none, do as ye will." Not that there's much difference between "none" and "no one" (or between "if it" and "it")but uh... Just thought I should clarify that. Hehe.

Last edited:
I appreciate it kerrie:smile:

1. What is the Biblical view of evil?

The Biblical view of evil is rooted in the belief that evil exists due to the presence of sin in the world. According to the Bible, sin entered the world through Adam and Eve's disobedience to God in the Garden of Eden. This disobedience resulted in a separation from God and the introduction of evil into the world.

2. How does the Biblical view of evil differ from other perspectives?

The Biblical view of evil differs from other perspectives in that it places the responsibility of evil on the actions and choices of human beings rather than external forces or entities. It also acknowledges the existence of a higher power, God, who is ultimately in control and has a plan to overcome evil.

3. Does the Biblical view of evil offer any solutions or hope?

Yes, the Bible offers several solutions and sources of hope in the face of evil. One of the main solutions is through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, who bore the weight of humanity's sins and offers forgiveness and redemption. Additionally, the Bible teaches that God is ultimately in control and will one day defeat evil and establish a new, perfect world.

4. How does your personal opinion on evil differ from the Biblical view?

As a scientist, my personal opinion on evil may differ from the Biblical view in that I view it as a result of natural processes and human behavior rather than a spiritual force. I also believe that evil can be explained and understood through scientific research and analysis.

5. Can science and the Bible coexist in their explanations of evil?

Many people believe that science and the Bible are incompatible in their explanations of evil. However, as a scientist, I believe that they can coexist and complement each other. While science can help us understand the natural causes and effects of evil, the Bible offers a deeper understanding of the spiritual and moral implications of evil and how to combat it.