The Big Bang: Light Before Matter?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of matter and antimatter and their relationship in the universe. It is mentioned that if matter and antimatter had not emerged asymmetrically, the universe would only be composed of light. The speaker also expresses their curiosity about how light can exist without the presence of electrons. It is then explained that light can also be produced through the annihilation of matter and antimatter, as well as other events involving charged particles.
taylor__hasty
So I'm reading this book called "Origins" by Neil Tyson and in the beginning of the book he was talking about matter and antimatter and said "had this matter over antimatter asymmetry not emerged, the expanding universe would forever be composed of light and nothing he else".

Now, I know I'm very ignorant in science (but I'm trying to learn more) but from what I thought, light was caused from electrons changing levels. If no electrons existed yet, how was their light?

(Please excuse my ignorance on the subject :P)

Thanks!
:D

Space news on Phys.org
That isn't the only source of light. In this case, the anhillation of matter and anti-matter also produces light.

To elaborate, EM radiation, aka Light, is caused by the acceleration of charges, charged particles changing energy levels, annihilation events, and high energy collisions.

When matter and antimatter collide, they annihiliate one another, and their energy is converted to gamma rays, which is just a high frequency form of light.

I can understand your confusion about light existing before matter in the context of the Big Bang. However, it is important to understand that the concept of light in the early universe is different from the light we experience in our everyday lives.

In the early universe, the conditions were extremely hot and dense, and matter and energy were constantly interacting and transforming into each other. This process is known as particle-antiparticle annihilation, where a particle and its antiparticle collide and release energy in the form of photons (particles of light). This is how light was initially produced in the early universe.

As the universe expanded and cooled down, matter and antimatter started to dominate over each other, leading to the asymmetry mentioned in the book. This means that there was a slight excess of matter over antimatter, which allowed for the formation of matter structures like galaxies, stars, and ultimately, us.

So, in essence, light did exist before matter in the early universe, but it was not the same kind of light that we experience today. It was a result of the interactions between matter and antimatter, which eventually led to the formation of the matter-dominated universe we know today.

I hope this explanation helps clarify your doubts and encourages you to continue learning about the fascinating field of cosmology. Keep asking questions and seeking knowledge – that's what science is all about!

1. What is the Big Bang Theory?

The Big Bang Theory is a scientific explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. It proposes that the universe began as a single, incredibly dense and hot point, and has been expanding and cooling over the course of 13.8 billion years.

2. What is "light before matter" in the context of the Big Bang?

In the early stages of the universe, there was only energy and no matter. As the universe expanded and cooled, this energy began to condense into particles, including the first atoms. These atoms then emitted light, which is known as the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation (CMBR). This light is considered to be the earliest evidence of the universe's existence.

3. How does the Big Bang explain the formation of galaxies and stars?

According to the Big Bang Theory, the universe began as a hot, dense point and expanded rapidly. As it expanded, the universe cooled and matter began to clump together, forming galaxies and stars. The force of gravity played a crucial role in this process, pulling matter together to form these structures.

4. Is there any evidence to support the Big Bang Theory?

Yes, there is a significant amount of evidence that supports the Big Bang Theory. The cosmic microwave background radiation, the abundance of light elements in the universe, and the observed expansion of the universe are all consistent with the predictions of the theory. Additionally, observations of the cosmic microwave background have provided strong evidence for the existence of dark matter and dark energy, both of which are important components of the Big Bang model.

5. What are some common misconceptions about the Big Bang Theory?

One common misconception is that the Big Bang was an explosion that occurred at a specific location in the universe. In reality, the Big Bang was the expansion of the entire universe from a single point. Another misconception is that the Big Bang created the universe from nothing. While the exact origin of the universe is still a topic of debate, the Big Bang Theory does not claim to explain the ultimate cause of the universe's existence. It simply describes the expansion and evolution of the universe from a highly dense and hot state.