Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Big Bang and light

1. Sep 18, 2013 #1
    So I'm reading this book called "Origins" by Neil Tyson and in the beginning of the book he was talking about matter and antimatter and said "had this matter over antimatter asymmetry not emerged, the expanding universe would forever be composed of light and nothing he else".

Now, I know I'm very ignorant in science (but I'm trying to learn more) but from what I thought, light was caused from electrons changing levels. If no electrons existed yet, how was their light?

(Please excuse my ignorance on the subject :P)

Thanks!
    :D

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2013 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

That isn't the only source of light. In this case, the anhillation of matter and anti-matter also produces light.

4. Sep 18, 2013 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

To elaborate, EM radiation, aka Light, is caused by the acceleration of charges, charged particles changing energy levels, annihilation events, and high energy collisions.

5. Sep 18, 2013 #4

jfizzix

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When matter and antimatter collide, they annihiliate one another, and their energy is converted to gamma rays, which is just a high frequency form of light.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook