The Big Bang, Entropy Destruction, and the Beginning of the Universe?

In summary: An expert summarizer of content.In summary, the conversation discusses the ideas of time's arrow, entropy destruction, and the beginning of the universe. The speaker questions the concept of a finite universe and proposes a cyclical universe that violates the second law of thermodynamics. However, the most widely accepted explanation for the universe's origin and evolution is the Big Bang theory, which is supported by observational evidence. The concept of a cyclical universe is not currently supported by scientific evidence, and the second law of thermodynamics does not necessarily contradict this idea. Overall, while the speaker's theories are intriguing, they do not align with current scientific understanding.
Topher925
The Big Bang, Entropy Destruction, and the Beginning of the Universe?

So for a while now I've been pondering the ideas of times arrow, the creation of entropy and disorder, and ultimately how the higher order state of the universe all originates with the big bang. According to modern cosmology (as I understand it anyway) the universe began with a high ordered collection of energy in an unfathomably high concentration up until the "bang" which initiated the expansion of space-time. With the expansion of the universe, entropy is generated, and of course never destroyed, which generates or at least characterizes the direction of time. The continuous generation of entropy will eventually lead to the "heat death" of the universe or in other words a universe with zero order. This concept of having a big bang and heat death implies that there is a beginning and an end to the universe. I have a very hard time believing this.

The idea that the universe or existence itself has a start and a stop that we are stuck in the middle of just doesn't compute to me. Someone saying that the universe is finite in both time and space is like someone telling me that grass isn't green or rocks (at STP) are softer than pudding. This leads me to the point of this thread. If the universe is infinite in time and space, and time is monolithic, this absolutely must mean that entropy can be destroyed and the universe can go from a lower order state to a higher order state spontaneously disproving the second law of thermodynamics.

I would think that if this were possible, it would happen during the creation of the hot ball of mass and energy that would eventually create the bang. Similar to a creation of a star from gas and dust that will eventually turn into a supernova creating more dust. When the energy and mass in the universe converges to a single point due to gravity, the destruction of entropy occurs and the universe returns to a higher ordered state. This of course implies that the universe will eventually stop expanding and converge again making the universe indefinitely cyclical. This all makes perfect sense to me.

Does my "theory" have any real merit to it? Are there currently any scientific facts, theories, or phenomenon that I am not aware of that disprove the idea of a cyclical universe that involves violation of the second law of thermo (besides M-theory)? I would like to note that I am by no means a physicist. I don't mind if you call me stupid, just as long you tell me why I'm stupid.EDIT: Just realized I posted in the wrong forum, thanks for moving it.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and theories on the Big Bang, entropy destruction, and the beginning of the universe. I would like to offer some insights and clarifications on these topics.

Firstly, it is important to note that the Big Bang theory is the most widely accepted explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. It is supported by a vast amount of observational evidence, including the cosmic microwave background radiation and the observed expansion of the universe. While it may be difficult to comprehend the idea of a beginning and an end to the universe, it is currently the most scientifically supported explanation.

You are correct in stating that the Big Bang resulted in a high ordered state of energy and matter. However, as the universe expanded and cooled, entropy (or disorder) was generated. This is in line with the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time.

While it may seem counterintuitive, the second law of thermodynamics does not state that entropy cannot decrease in a localized area. In fact, we see this happening all the time in our daily lives, such as when we clean our room or organize a messy desk. However, the overall trend of the universe is towards increasing entropy.

As for your theory of a cyclical universe, there is currently no scientific evidence to support this idea. In fact, the expansion of the universe appears to be accelerating, meaning that it is unlikely to collapse back in on itself. Additionally, the concept of a cyclical universe does not necessarily violate the second law of thermodynamics. Even if the universe were to collapse and start over again, the overall trend of increasing entropy would still hold true.

In conclusion, while your ideas are thought-provoking, they do not align with current scientific understanding of the universe. It is important to continue questioning and exploring these concepts, but also to acknowledge and accept the evidence and theories that are supported by scientific research.

I hope this helps to clarify some of your questions and I encourage you to continue learning and exploring the fascinating field of cosmology.

1. What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is the prevailing scientific explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. It states that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature about 13.8 billion years ago. The universe has been expanding and cooling ever since.

2. How does the Big Bang relate to entropy and destruction?

The Big Bang theory is closely linked to the concept of entropy, which is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. The Big Bang created a highly ordered and dense universe, but as it expanded and cooled, the universe became more disordered and chaotic, leading to the eventual destruction of stars and galaxies.

3. What evidence supports the Big Bang theory?

There are several lines of evidence that support the Big Bang theory, including the observed expansion of the universe, the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the abundance of light elements such as hydrogen and helium. Additionally, the predictions made by the Big Bang theory have been consistently confirmed by observations and experiments.

4. Was there anything before the Big Bang?

The Big Bang theory does not address what may have existed before the singularity that initiated the universe. Some theories suggest that the singularity was preceded by a previous universe, while others propose that the concept of "before" may not apply to the origin of the universe.

5. Can we ever fully understand the beginning of the universe?

As our understanding of the universe and its origins continues to evolve, it is possible that we may one day have a complete understanding of the beginning of the universe. However, there may always be limitations to our knowledge and understanding, and new discoveries and theories may continue to challenge our understanding of the universe's beginning.