Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The big question: GOD

1. Dec 12, 2003 #1
    So at the risk of being redundant and fanning a flame that has burned since ever, I ask you this: Is the or is ther not a higher power? Once replies are posted, I will express my views.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2003 #2

I think that God... is a word with three letters.

Am I right? Is that a truth... Yeah... I think it is.
  4. Dec 13, 2003 #3
    good question. What do you believe?
  5. Dec 13, 2003 #4
    Haha that is brilliant.

As to my beliefs, I personally do not believe in any sort of higher power. though some say that the universe could not exist without an uncaused first cause, I believe that there are no uncaused events, just unknown events. And please, TheDream, answer my question with intelligence next time. Though it be amusing, I am interested to hear everyone's opinion.
  6. Dec 13, 2003 #5
    God, fundamentally a belief system that Humans have seeking divine or higher order in an external source often fantasized about having great power. Possibly a need to replace the parental role after adulthood in an external concept of a heavenly father.

If I were to believe in God. God to me would have to be this.

The Universe as a whole, and all its parts.

Does this mean it has to be a loving god, a divine higher power? No. If God is the Universe, then God is reality and the miracle that reality is.

I’m not saying that the Universe has a universal Mind, but I see a Universe that is connected to every aspect of which it embodies. And that is what I see as God.

God to me is still a three letter word, and its meaning to other humans, who share other cultural beliefs and religions changes from mind to mind.

The Universe however, is one thing I can truly relate too as one of its parts.

One thing I am sure we can all agree on is:

Reality exists, and it’s real. Not only is it real, it’s amazing in every detail.

I enjoy trying to understand the Universe with my limited mind as the Universe is beyond all my wildest dreams.
  7. Dec 13, 2003 #6
    Re: The big question: GOD

Actually it isn't so much a matter of explaining what it is, as it's experiencing what it is. In which case all the theories and explanations in the world do little justice to the actual experience itself -- which, is the only way a person can really tell.

In which case we need to ask ourselves, "Is there a God experience," and how do we go about attaining it?
  8. Dec 13, 2003 #7
    I believe god exists as the question you just asked. I believe god is the question that spawned all other questions. I believe god is "why?". If you believe what I believe then you will understand that god works for just about anything. The clues that exist in our universe exist as fuel to power the question "why?".

It ammuses me to think that I can get all poetical when I try to think about god and explain who/what it is.
  9. Dec 16, 2003 #8
    It is impossible to have a completely good and omnipotent being.

Omnipotent means allpowerful.

To be allpowerful you must have total control over everything.

Your own creation/birth is a thing- therefore you cannot have been created/borne (since that could only have happened without your consent first).

Therefore you are eternal.

Nothing else can be eternal, because if it was it would have to have existed as long as you existed (therefore without your consent).

It is impossible to build a pool table, balls, and the rules for pool (but leave out the holes) and begin to play and get a ball in a hole.

Likewise it is impossible to create any concepts and laws dealing with that type of concept (EG 1 and 2 and addition) and come out with a concept not created independently.

Evil, pain, etc are concepts. They are not natural consequences of good and pleasure, they had to be created independently.

You created evil, pain, etc.

You created the reason for creating them.

Therefore you needlessly created bad things.

Therefore you are not good.

Therefore IF you are omnipotent THEN you are not purely good.
    So either god(s) (if he/she/they exist(s)) cannot be omnipotent and purely good.
  10. Dec 16, 2003 #9
    If u exist why cant GOD exist. Have u ever wondered why there is living beings. Let us first question Which is visible rather than invisible. GOD is in everyone ,u have to realise them. I u know deeply that u exist than GOD do exists
  11. Dec 16, 2003 #10

Accept God as Supreme

I once invited the Nobel prize-winning scientist C V Raman to preside over a function on the occasion of Sri Krishna Janmashtami at Sri Gaudiya Math, Bagh Bazar, Calcutta . The scientist declined the invitation on the ground that Krishna was fictitious and he had got no intention of wasting valuable time on such functions.

Dr Raman said that if I could reveal Krishna to him, he would go to attend the function, as he did not believe in something that could not be comprehended by observation and experiment. Behind the northern portion of his laboratory was North Calcutta . I asked him: “I am unable to see anything beyond this wall. If I say there is nothing outside this wall, will it be correct?” Dr Raman said, “I can see through my instruments.”

When I pointed out that there is a limit to the power of instruments for you can see only as far as your instruments allow you to see, Dr Raman said: “I will not give my attention to anything that is not within my sense-experience. Can you show me your God?” I said: “If your students say to you, they will study your scientific findings only if you make them realised first, then what would you say?” Dr Raman said, “No, they are to take my process through which I have realised the truth.” I said, “If this is true for you and your scientific knowledge, can the seers of ancient India not say exactly the same thing? Why not follow their process and see whether you experience God’s existence or not.”

12. Dec 16, 2003 #11
    The question, for many of us, isn't if GOD could exist, but is there sufficient reason to accept that GOD or GODs do exist.

There are the religious who've had spiritual experiences, which allows them some evidence to base such an acceptance. (Evidential)

There are those that accept it because of their trust of those who told them GOD existed. (Authority)

There are those that accept it, because to reject that acceptance would endanger their social relationships [i.e. put them at odds with members of their family and community]. (Social)

And there are those who do not accept GOD's existence, simply because they've seen no evidence to accept that existence as actual. (Lack of the Evidential)
  13. Dec 16, 2003 #12
    is that suppose to be a proof? with that kind of proof you can say anything... giant pink turtles who move the planets, invisible blue dragons under your bed, you name it....
    you'll have to do beter than this to show the posibillity that God exists
  14. Dec 16, 2003 #13
    I gave u proofs i believe u guys haven't gone through the excerpts

Okay i refine some statements from excerpts
    You just ans.
    Can normal eye visualize whats inside your body(i.e. intenstine etc...)

I would definitely say u better first read all the excerpts and try to consider urself as C.V.Raman in excerpts and do think seriously

Krishna is considered to be incarnation of GOD here in India
  15. Dec 16, 2003 #14
  16. Dec 21, 2003 #15
    By definition I am agnostic, meaning I accept that I do not know. Though seeing as I consider the idea of god to be lunacy, though not impossible. You can consider me an atheist.
  17. Dec 21, 2003 #16
    I am your typical Evil Atheist...

The big answer: No.
  18. Dec 21, 2003 #17
    There are some uncaused events, the one that immediately comes to mind is radioactive decay.
  19. Dec 21, 2003 #18
    There are a few prerequisites for things to exist:

They have to be classified as either
    1. Made of matter
    2. A physical property of matter

Things which exist cannot exist or function beyond the scope of "Natural Law" (for lack of better terminology).

Your original question "If you exist, why cant god(s) exist", first the two are non-analogous. Second, the existence of myself in no way implies the existence of a deity. Third, I dont deny the existence of god(s) because I can see him, I deny the existence of god(s) for the same reason I deny the existence of pixies, faries, leprechauns, elves, ghosts, griffons, perpetual motion machines, psychics, dowsing, etc. etc. etc. etc. Might as well say "Since you exist, you must also accept that unicorns exist". The logic just doesnt hold up to any standards of acceptable reasoning.
  20. Dec 21, 2003 #19

It would be quite wrong to assume skeptics disbelieve in the existence of god(s) because they cant see him.

If there is no evidence that a certain thing exists, we can assume that it exists for the purposes of hypothesis and experimentation (such as Quark Theory), but if repeated experimentation and/or observation fails to show evidence that the thing exists, we can be fairly certain that it just ain't there.

One must be careful not to fall into the trap of thinking that because there is no evidence that something does not exist, that it might exist.

If you accept one (or more) god(s), what reason would you have to reject all other possible gods (and those yet to be concieved).

A personal Philosophy of mine on the subject of belief in god(s):
    "By accepting the existence of one god when you dont accept the others, you'd be making it very hard for me not call you a hypocrite."
  21. Dec 21, 2003 #20
    There is only sun in the sky which, for all intents and purposes, represents the one God. However, just as the sun affects each and everyone of us a little differently (the example fits better with the plant and animal kingdom), then it could be said we each have our own unique interpretation of the sun, in which case you can have as many gods as you like.

The acceptance of Yahweh for example, who states in the first commandment, "Thou shalt have no gods before me," pretty much alludes to the same idea.

"A rose by any other name is but a rose?"
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?