The big question: Will Mentat Return?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: When I first discovered PF.com I went virtual for a month. Integral and I were talking about this also, this is really addicting; I think because it enables contact with people of like mind - in spite of the many obvious differences. But yes I think Mentat needed to slow down...as did I. What gets me are the little dings from my email telling me that someone has responded. I can barely ignore them sometimes when I need to be working. Now, when the pressure is on, Outlook gets closed.Mentat is due to return on 8/22; according to his mother, he is still grounded. I PMd Mentat

The fate of Mentat

• Mentat returns late

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Mentat returns on 8/22 or 8/23

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Mentat returns early

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • No more Mentat

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Our old young friend Mentat is due to return on 8/22; according to mom...

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4117

Will Mentat Return? What are your theories and philosophical positions on this matter? :wink:

I will define "back" to mean posting more than once to a regular thread.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, he has already been back...

He used the PM feature a couple of days ago.

Last ntie i had a dream and in that dream mentat returned on time, with bigger better arguements to liven this forum up a little, it seems quieter without him around. Doesnt help that entropy either.

Modification:

I voted early- he's addicted, he won't stay away

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Haha, in that case I'm voting with Zantra.

ya but I have to agree that even the best minds have to exercise their other muscles occasionally as well. When you're a teenager there's nothing better than "mindless fun" If the mind is well but the body is not, then one can seep into the other. Social well being is just as important as intellectual well being.

In other words, sometimes you just have to let a kid be a kid. I know mentat would argue against that, but hey, I'm still a big kid, and it helps the stesses and pressures of life immensely.

Mentat is our #1 poster...he'll be back!

I hope he comes back. He's a great kid with a lot of insight to offer.

The rumble of a distant drums is heard approaching. The air grows still and thick; and hot. Boulderhead can feel the beads of blood building on his brow. IF only I had more time thought Boulderhead...if only I had more time...

Behold, I have come down unto you, having great wrath, knowing I have but a short time...

Mwuhahahaha

It's a Biblical thang.

Hmmm, tomorrow is the big day so it doesn't look like he will be making it back early after all.

I emailed him a few weeks back- he said he missed it here, and couldn't wait to get back on. I know he wants to come back

Mentat lives!

I PMd Mentat yesterday and he has responded. He is still grounded. Hopefully we will see him before too long.

Mentat: Stay out of trouble for a change.

It seems that he is allowed only a little editing for now.

Mentat will come back.

He sent me an email, and he's hoping to be back in another week or two. Just a matter of time;)

FYI

Mentat informed me that he will know for certain tomorrow whether he will be allowed to return or not.

It would seem fair to me that he be allowed at least some minimal time for PF each day, so I hope a nod of approval will be forthcoming.

Well, you got to think...how long has he been gone, and he is still #1 on the post-count list? Maybe his mom had a point!

Originally posted by Zero
Well, you got to think...how long has he been gone, and he is still #1 on the post-count list? Maybe his mom had a point!

And our new number one poster will be...?

Also, I am told that Mentat will return.

And our new number one poster will be...?

Also, I am told that Mentat will return.
Well, yeah...it will likely be me, but I don't have homework to do, and I work strange hours. I know he'll be back, but I sure hope he slows down a bit, you know? For his own sake, and all.

Well, yeah...it will likely be me, but I don't have homework to do, and I work strange hours. I know he'll be back, but I sure hope he slows down a bit, you know? For his own sake, and all.

When I first discovered PF.com I went virtual for a month.
Integral and I were talking about this also, this is really addicting; I think because it enables contact with people of like mind - in spite of the many obvious differences.

But yes I think Mentat needed to slow down...as did I. What gets me are the little dings from my email telling me that someone has responded. I can barely ignore them sometimes when I need to be working. Now, when the pressure is on, Outlook gets closed.

For me, the time on PF has dropped to a more reasonable level in spite of my post count [note that you had over a month's head start on me]. I can post 5 or 6 news links in a matter of minutes. The other 5 are then typically legitimate discussions.

Well, I guess I really was missed. That's nice to know. It's also really nice to see that no one was foolish enough to vote that I would never return :wink:.

As to this...
Originally posted by Zantra
ya but I have to agree that even the best minds have to exercise their other muscles occasionally as well. When you're a teenager there's nothing better than "mindless fun" If the mind is well but the body is not, then one can seep into the other. Social well being is just as important as intellectual well being.

In other words, sometimes you just have to let a kid be a kid. I know mentat would argue against that, but hey, I'm still a big kid, and it helps the stesses and pressures of life immensely.

Are you kidding? This is my fun!

Mentat is our #1 poster...he'll be back!

WEll, I guess there's that. I mean, I do have to defend my "title".

I PMd Mentat yesterday and he has responded. He is still grounded. Hopefully we will see him before too long.

Mentat: Stay out of trouble for a change.

I probably should have clarified this before. I was not in trouble, and grounded from the PFs as just some random choice, that my parental unit thought would "teach me a lesson". I was in trouble for some specific things that I had been posting on the PFs. Thus the punishment (and the later need for editing) "fit the crime", so to speak. It has much to do with the new restriction that has been placed on me, but I'd rather not discuss it any further.

Well, you finally surpassed me anyway, my worthy opponent!:wink:

I don't know what the post-count list looks like now, but I have no intention of "slowing down" (my apologies to all of you who wanted me to just "be a kid" (cue evil laughter)).

Originally posted by Mentat
Are you kidding? This is my fun!

I hear where you're coming from. I've had my nose in books constantly since I was 9 or 10. And I enjoyed it. But looking back it wouldn't have killed me to hang out with the neighborhood kids once in a while. You only get one childhood. Use it wisely :wink:

Originally posted by Zantra
I hear where you're coming from. I've had my nose in books constantly since I was 9 or 10. And I enjoyed it. But looking back it wouldn't have killed me to hang out with the neighborhood kids once in a while. You only get one childhood. Use it wisely :wink:

"Wisely", eh? You mean like daring my friends to eat worms, or something?

Oh well, I guess it's just counter-intuitive that I enjoy reading much more than I could ever enjoy associating with other humans.

And you have no idea how lucky you are to have those good books available and the money to buy them. Have you any idea how hard does a good paper-back come around this parts of the world? The books I'm reading now are bad xerox copies that I "fill in the gaps" with the pencil. I'm sick of that red-eye effect the computer screen gives me when I read e-books. At least in my university Ph.D students xerox books all over Europe and send us a copy. From that copy everybody makes a copy, then the copy of the copy of the copy and so on.
But leaving everything a side you should from time to time go out for a drink, some sports or travel with your friends.

"Wisely", eh? You mean like daring my friends to eat worms, or something?

Oh well, I guess it's just counter-intuitive that I enjoy reading much more than I could ever enjoy associating with other humans.

I'm not trying to critize your desire for information. Nay, I applaude it. I'm just simply saying that one day you may find something's missing. *shrug*. But if everything's fine now, then I'm just crazy:wink:

I don't know who this Mentat is,
but in my capacity as a retroact-
ive prophet, I predict he will
return, based on this information
delivered to me from the other
side:

"They say this young Mentat was
bright.
His posting was faster than light.
He departed one day,
In an Einstein-like way,
And returned on the previous night."

-Zooby the 100% accurate
retro-prophet.

(Limerick paraphrased from Geo.
Gamow)

Originally posted by zoobyshoe
I don't know who this Mentat is,
but in my capacity as a retroact-
ive prophet, I predict he will
return, based on this information
delivered to me from the other
side:

"They say this young Mentat was
bright.
His posting was faster than light.
He departed one day,
In an Einstein-like way,
And returned on the previous night."

-Zooby the 100% accurate
retro-prophet.

(Limerick paraphrased from Geo.
Gamow)

LMBO!

Oh man, this is one of the funniest posts I've read yet!

LMBO!

Oh man, this is one of the funniest posts I've read yet!

Zooby is the master.

Zooby is the master.

Yeah, it's a good thing he wasn't a candidate for "funniest member" since it would have been way too hard to choose between him and Mr. Robin Parsons.